Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mayor Daley lays out strict gun rules for Chicago

Penalties for the first offense are more than what an illegal alien would receive for illegally entering our country. These pols are just about as arrogant as it can get. What don't they understand about the Constitution?? This WILL NOT stop the criminals from toting guns or using them to commit crimes against citizens!! The tyranny in America continues!

Mayor Daley lays out strict gun rules for Chicago

By DON BABWIN, Associated Press Writer Don Babwin, Associated Press Writer – Thu Jul 1, 7:32 pm ET

CHICAGO – With the city's gun ban certain to be overturned, Mayor Richard Daley on Thursday introduced what city officials say is the strictest handgun ordinance in the United States.

The measure, which draws from ordinances around the country, would ban gun shops in Chicago and prohibit gun owners from stepping outside their homes, even onto their porches or garages, with a handgun.

Daley announced his ordinance at a park on the city's South Side three days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense anywhere they live. The City Council is expected to vote on it Friday.

"As long as I'm mayor, we will never give up or give in to gun violence that continues to threaten every part of our nation, including Chicago," said Daley, who was flanked by activists, city officials and the parents of a teenager whose son was shot and killed on a city bus while shielding a friend.

The ordinance, which Daley urged the City Council to pass, also would :

• Limit the number of handguns residents can register to one per month and prohibit residents from having more than one handgun in operating order at any given time.

• Require residents in homes with children to keep them in lock boxes or equipped with trigger locks.

• Require prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers. Those restrictions were similar to those in an ordinance passed in Washington, D.C., after the high court struck down its ban two years ago.

• Prohibit people from owning a gun if they were convicted of a violent crime, domestic violence or two or more convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Residents convicted of a gun offense would have to register with the police department.

• Calls for the police department to maintain a registry of every handgun owner in the city, with the names and addresses to be made available to police officers, firefighters and other emergency responders.

Those who already have handguns in the city — which has been illegal since the city's ban was approved 28 years ago — would have 90 days to register those weapons, according to the proposed ordinance.

Residents convicted of violating the city's ordinance can face a fine up to $5,000 and be locked up for as long as 90 days for a first offense and a fine of up to $10,000 and as long as six months behind bars for subsequent convictions.

"We've gone farther than anyone else ever has," said Corporation Counsel Mara Georges.

Still, the mayor, whose office is trying to craft an ordinance that will withstand legal challenges, had to back off some provisions he'd hoped to include, including requiring gun owners to insure their weapons and restricting each resident to one handgun.

Georges said it would be expensive for homeowners to include guns on their homeowners' and renters' insurance policies, so such a requirement could be seen as being discriminatory to the city's poorer residents. Limiting the number of handguns could be seen as discriminatory to people who owned weapons before the city's ban went into effect in 1982 or before they moved into the city.

"We can limit the place in which those handguns can be located," she said, before adding a not-so-veiled swipe at the court: "For instance, the Supreme court does not want them coming into the courthouse."

Still, Daley indicated that no matter what was included in the ordinance, he expects legal challenges.

"Everybody has a right to sue," he said.[/b]
    Detect, Detain, and Deport - The 3-D method of choice!!

Get over it Mayor Daley, now people in your crime ridden city have the right to defend themselves.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

still, chicagoans can now legally have a gun in the house, you only need one. i dont live in the cityanymore, and if i did id want to have what the retard might have, thats climbing in my window at 3am. in any event A WIN IS A WIN! never thought id see the day.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    Get over it Mayor Daley, now people in your crime ridden city have the right to defend themselves.
    I think we've always had the right to defend ourselves; our local government just thinks that right is optional. This compromise is just the Mayor having a hissy-fit because he didn't get his way.

Since we’ve had the gun ban, people have gotten shot on a daily basis. The south side is particularly bad. The bad guys had them and the good guys couldn’t (legally). Be prepared for the Mayor to say “I told you so!â€
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.

Personally I hope the NRA takes Chicago law to the Supreme Court again. I'll be they lose. I think Daley is still trying t do what he wants with our laws.

Of course this is what happens when you allow progressive liberals to run things. Illinois politics and their attitudes have spread all the way to Washington.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

GR
    What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Why isn't this <sigh> mayor spending his time, energy, and the tax dollars of all Americans and citizens of Chicago on something that will end the fire arms of the gangs, mafias, drug cartels, drug runner, and other similar hostilities?

Chicago does have a special forces unit, don't they? If so, I'm sure they have prioritized their projects, but maybe more money should be allocated to such services.

how can Daley keep getting elected.? Vote the frigging idiot out.

Maybe someone should plan a million gun march on Chicago. Peaceful and paying strict adherence to Constitutional law, of course. If someone got shot during that time (accidentally, I clarify, because accidents statistically must happen in so large a sampling), I think the statistics would only augment the argument that gun laws are not really about our personal safety at all. If you outlaw guns because of the resulting annual deaths, you must logically also outlaw cars.

If I were Machiavellian enough, I might say that the fourteenth amendment and its guarantee that the Bill of Rights is enforced upon the states trumps Chicago, but I just can't get over the fact that the fourteenth is incoherent with the Constitution itself and original intent of the founders. With such incoherence in the law of the land, is it not surprising we find this sort of debate over who can do what? Can a nation digest that sort of internal dissonance?
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner

The measure, which draws from ordinances around the country, would ban gun shops in Chicago and prohibit gun owners from stepping outside their homes, even onto their porches or garages, with a handgun.
    Require prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers.
    Someone tell me how this works. a) all gun owners are required to take training at a gun range, b) there are no gun ranges in Chicago, c) you can't leave your home with a handgun. These idiots have required training in one paragraph that violates another paragraph of the same law.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    [quote:3q1l2394]Require prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers.
    Someone tell me how this works. a) all gun owners are required to take training at a gun range, b) there are no gun ranges in Chicago, c) you can't leave your home with a handgun. These idiots have required training in one paragraph that violates another paragraph of the same law.[/quote:3q1l2394]

You'll probably have to rent one at the range (job creation and stimulating the economy you know). They'll insure that the ranges are located far enough away that those without cars won't be able to get there. Another way to get their ban by making it harder to get certified to even own the gun...but have no fear the criminals will still have their guns and won't bother to take the class, register the gun, nor use a gun lock and certainly won't keep their guns inside their homes.
    Detect, Detain, and Deport - The 3-D method of choice!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast