Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

if the government hinted at an interest in mechanization, there would be lots of companies jumping on the developmental bandwagon... but they can't afford that investment when the government and ag bosses have made it clear they prefer to use virtual slave labor....
    No soy de los que se dicen 'la raza'... Am not one of those racists of "The Race"

This debate goes much deeper then robots, its stems from our breakdown of society in a sense. First we have greed the desire for higher and higher profits gained anyway possible and not worry about the effects. The desire
    for slave/cheap labor could not be satisfied, there are many who would still chain workers to a work area if they could in lieu of that they take their work to the third world where it is allowed.

We have changed as a country from a rural to urban society people look down on blue collar jobs and therefore we continue to lose them. Try to find people who are interested in car mechanics,air conditioning, sheet
    metal,etc. Quality of life folks, if done correct one can be as happy doing quality skilled work such as carpentry as a man sitting in a office 10 hours per day hammering a computer.

One last thought, if we become a nation that cannot clean bathrooms, pick our fruit, care for our children then truly we don't deserve to retain America.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

I saw a lot more fruit being picked mechanically in the Central Valley-CA this year than I ever have. My neighbor, who grows cling peaches, had laborers do the first picking. These were your higher end, bigger peaches. The second picking he brought in machines that would shake the peaches into a soft vinyl funnel that would then drop them into the bins. I looked at the second picking and I couldn't tell a difference. They were not bruised. Tasted just the same. I saw pears and apples being picked the same way.

The only time I see that you would have to have laborers in would be to prune, thin and spray.

Mechanization is what US agriculture MUST HAVE
    I agree and disagree

If it's actually that they cannot get the man power to do the jobs (besides "Illegals"). Then they should invest in the machinery to do the jobs.

IF it's because they are to busy lining their pockets. Then I disagree, pay a man/woman a honest wage. They will give you a honest days work
    "We are not for any type or form of "AMNESTY"..We are a equal oppurtunity deporter. We will not discriminate against you due to your race/age/religion .. "

I am against mechanization because it not only put guest workers out of work but also unskilled American workers. When mechanical cotton pickers was first introduced they were not as effective as an human worker and workers were needed to finish the jobs the machines did not do.
    Machinary will put a lot of unskilled Americans workers out of jobs and will never replace human workers.
    I do not doubt that immigrants are needed by farmers, but they need to be temporary. This is because there may not be enough American workers in these farming areas to fill the need. Americans are doing farm work. They are doing the planting, growing and the harvesting.
    Mechanization will not solve the problem of cheap labor. Machanization is just another name for outsourcing jobs.

I had to add more to this thread. Being from the "corn" state. Where I live at least there isnt "illegals" doing the work. It's familys doing the planting and the harvesting.

When I go by a construction job (my area) it's Americans doing those jobs. Is that to say we are free of "illegals" around here, NO. They just arent doing those type of jobs. They are not mowing lawns, maids, construction, farmers. No, they are in the factorys, like RR Donnelly.
    "We are not for any type or form of "AMNESTY"..We are a equal oppurtunity deporter. We will not discriminate against you due to your race/age/religion .. "

Quote Originally Posted by dyehard39
    I am against mechanization because it not only put guest workers out of work but also unskilled American workers. When mechanical cotton pickers was first introduced they were not as effective as an human worker and workers were needed to finish the jobs the machines did not do.
    Machinary will put a lot of unskilled Americans workers out of jobs and will never replace human workers.
    I do not doubt that immigrants are needed by farmers, but they need to be temporary. This is because there may not be enough American workers in these farming areas to fill the need. Americans are doing farm work. They are doing the planting, growing and the harvesting.
    Mechanization will not solve the problem of cheap labor. Machanization is just another name for outsourcing jobs.
    Maybe, mechanization can be a win-win for American agriculture. But first, a better term would be "precision technology." This covers all of the research and innovation intended to make agriculture more productive. and if it is more productive there will also be a demand for more workers Plus I would think that if farmers can save money on the less skilled labor--which the migrants are now doing--they can afford to pay intelligent, American workers a better salary.

Can there be any doubt that there will be a worldwide need for more food? We are far away from world population leveling out, so land will continue to be in a squeeze to meet the demand for a number of purposes.

It is rare for a country to have a vast pool of potential and cheap labor right next door--so other countries have had to move ahead. What, for example, can Australia do? They have enormous potential, but not many people they can immediately bring in (unless they ship them from Indonesia) so they have had to move ahead in technology. Other agriculture, in S. America and Africa, has incredibly cheap labor at just a few bucks a day. So, America's options are not that great.

Let's get American farming into the twenty-first century and make some well paying jobs for Americans in the process.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron
    Quote Originally Posted by dyehard39
    Maybe, mechanization can be a win-win for American agriculture. But first, a better term would be "precision technology." This covers all of the research and innovation intended to make agriculture more productive. and if it is more productive there will also be a demand for more workers Plus I would think that if farmers can save money on the less skilled labor--which the migrants are now doing--they can afford to pay intelligent, American workers a better salary.

Can there be any doubt that there will be a worldwide need for more food? We are far away from world population leveling out, so land will continue to be in a squeeze to meet the demand for a number of purposes.

It is rare for a country to have a vast pool of potential and cheap labor right next door--so other countries have had to move ahead. What, for example, can Australia do? They have enormous potential, but not many people they can immediately bring in (unless they ship them from Indonesia) so they have had to move ahead in technology. Other agriculture, in S. America and Africa, has incredibly cheap labor at just a few bucks a day. So, America's options are not that great.

Let's get American farming into the twenty-first century and make some well paying jobs for Americans in the process.

If this is the case we will have to find other sources for nutrition other than food and cheap labor may not make a difference. And again as the population increases there will always be a source of cheap labor. Land is not a problem but growing land and water may well be.
    Well paying jobs for American? How do you propose this in connection with farming?

I wouldn't mind paying more for food harvested by machines. Anything to get rid of ilegal aliens.
    I DO NOT EVEN BUY MOST PRODUCE BECAUSE OF ALL THE RECALLS OF ECOLI AND SALMANELLA SALAD MIXES, SPINACH, LETTUCE, TOMATOS, AND ON AND ON....I don't order salads anymore with dinner, but instead ask for an extra side dish that could be substituted. I never order fast food anymore because they slap on wilted lettuce and tomato that comes from who knows where. I am almost giving up on all chicken because the sars and avian flu viruses are infecting them closer to home now. I hear now that U.S. cattle farmers have been told to be on the lookout for "hoof to mouth disease", even though THEY SAY you can't catch it. WHAT IS LEFT TO EAT?
    IMO, I would rather have my produce harvested by machines, which can be cleaned, than by illegal aliens that have poor hygiene habits that never seems to change.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well paying jobs for American? How do you propose this in connection with farming?

A college student seeking a degree in agricultural engineering could also work on farms to earn money for school and to gain some fisrthand knowledge. Sure would beat working at McDonalds! True, he might not be in the back breaking work of harvesting crops, but could familiarize himself with the working and needs of whatever enterprises he works for.

There would probbaly be fewer jobs that would pay well in the long run. But this is going to be true throughout the American economy, consdiering the challenges of globalization.

If I had the time I would run up to this local university and check out their Ag Engineering program. It is one effort to introduce more mechanization--which, BTW, the Carter adminstration shelved almost thirty years ago.
    http://arc.wsu.edu/
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast