The media is frightened of Donald Trump, says Home Depot’s Ken Langone

Published: Mar 2, 2016 11:04 a.m. ET

Home Depot co-founder sharply critical of CNBC’s John Harwood

By
GREGROBB

SENIOR ECONOMICS REPORTER
Bloomberg

Ken Langone, co-founder of Home Depot Inc. and an early supporter of Chris Christie, is now supporting Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s presidential bid.Ken Langone, Home Depot co-founder, went on a rant Wednesday about the media in general and CNBC political reporter John Harwood in particular, saying that Harwood “and his ilk” are in trouble if Donald Trump wins the race for the White House in November.

In an interview on CNBC, Langone became angry after Harwood questioned him about New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s support for Trump. He asked if Christie looked uncomfortable having to stand behind the real-estate developer during his news conference after the Super Tuesday results were announced.

“I don’t have any opinion. The governor didn’t make it and thought that this was the best thing and he did it. I don’t read anything into what he looked like,” Langone said.

His voice rising, Langone proceeded to lash out, questioning Harwood about how he moderated CNBC’s Republican presidential-candidate debate last October.

“What were you thinking about in that debate when it was clear to everybody you were partial and Trump called you out for it?” Langone asked.

After that debate, Harwood was criticized for arguing with several candidates. MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough called Harwood’s performance “embarrassing.”

“I think the problem in America today is you guys say you’re objective in the media, but you’re really not,” Langone added.

“John [Harwood] and his ilk are in trouble if Trump wins because, guess what, they’re going to the back of the bus,” Langone said.

“You and the consultants and the advisers and all these the pollsters and everybody else. It is going to be a new day and this is why the media, I think, is as frightened of Trump as anybody else is,” he said.

Langone is now supporting Ohio Gov. John Kasich but said he would vote for Trump if he wins the Republican nomination.
Langone said that Trump would be better than Hillary Clinton at negotiating with Randi Weingarten, the president of the American Federation of Teachers, over reforms for public education.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...one-2016-03-02