Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Memorial Day Remembrance....Letter From Our Past

I know that this posting doesn't have a direct bearing on this site but I was compelled to re-post it for some who may not have seen it. I wrote and posted this last year as a small "thank you" to our military men and women. This was actually written for Veterans Day but it is also a fitting remembrance on Memorial Day. I dedicate this to my dad and all those soldiers of honor and courage who paid the ultimate sacrifice to preserve our freedoms. I hope we all, in our own way, will honor their sacrifice on this Memorial Day.

---------------------

In memory of my father and all that his generation did for us I have tried to convey what my father, a veteran, might write to his government and fellow countrymen given the challenge we now face....

...I’m an American veteran. You may not remember me as I now live only in your memory. I was your father, your brother, your friend, your neighbor. I was a soldier once, and young. I proudly fought, bled, grieved and grew old in the deserts of North Africa, the hell of Bastogne, the bloody beaches of Iwo Jima, the frozen wastelands of Korea and the hellish jungles of Viet Nam. I watched my buddies disappear before my eyes, seen the life blood drain from their bodies, written the letters to the grieving parents who once had a son and now have an empty chair at the table. I left behind a wife and children who can no longer share with their father the joys of family and country on those special days like the fourth of July. I too once enjoyed all things American. However, my country needed me and I answered the call to duty. And now, in the end, I have given everything. I have given body and soul to protect my family, my buddies, my country. Now, from my eternal resting place I see my flag being desecrated. I see my country being torn asunder by those who have no honor, no love for what I fought for. Why do you desert me now? Have I not earned your respect? Do you no longer honor me? Why do you give away that for which I and my buddies sacrificed everything? I am tired…weary from battle and ask for little. A fond remembrance of me on veterans day would be nice. As my final wish, before you have forgotten me and the cross on my grave crumbles to dust, all I ask is that my sacrifice be not in vain. Make me proud….

Always Yours,

A Veteran
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Great post.

As a suggestion you can post non-immigration issues in the 'Other Topics News and Issues' discussion group.

Very nice memorial to all Veterans and I hope it inspires others to honor a Veteran tomorrow. I know I will.