Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Menendez: Move Quickly On Amnesty After Nov. Elections

This sneak wants the Senate to hurry and vote on immigration reform right after the November elections and just before January when the new people get sworn in. He figures the Senators losing their seats will have nothing political to lose.

Sen. Robert Menendez: Is President Obama ready for a fight on immigration?
    By Star-Ledger Guest Columnist
    April 02, 2010, 5:05AM

In an editorial board meeting at The Star-Ledger Wednesday, U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez discussed a meeting with President Obama in which he urged the president to move quickly after the November election to enact immigration reform.

He also reacted to a bipartisan proposal from Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). They have proposed a bill that would open a path to citizenship for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States today, along with tougher border security and a system for employers to verify the legal status of workers.

Here are excerpts.

Why it’s important

I personally think that comprehensive immigration reform is critically important to the nation. It’s important to the nation’s security. I’d rather know who was here to pursue the American dream versus who was here to do harm to it. I can’t do that when I have 12 million undocumented, unidentified people in the country. . . . I’d rather have these individuals, number one, be documented in some fashion so that at the end of the day, we aren’t depressing wages of other workers because there is a subterranean economy — a black market economy. . . . And I’d rather have them in a status where not only are they going to go through a criminal background check, but they’re also going to fully pay their taxes. That would be part of the equation.

So, I think it’s important in terms of the economy, I think it’s important in terms of not depressing wages, and I think it’s important in terms of national security. And I think it’s important about who we are as a people. Unless we’re going to deport 12 million people, which would be the most massive deportation in the history of mankind, that’s just simply not going to happen.
    Sen. Menendez on Latinos and immigration reform: 'It's the civil rights issue of their time'

Problems with proposal

For me, family reunification is a key element of our immigration policy. Strong families make for strong communities. And that has been (missing from the Schumer-Graham) legislation. I’m concerned about how they treat that issue. And I’m concerned about how they go about the raid issue. Right now, we have U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents being unlawfully and unconstitutionally caught up in raids. I don’t believe U.S. citizens who happen to be of a certain ethnicity or race are second-class. There are 200 cases in the country so far like this.

So the raid issue has to change in terms of how that’s being done. The detention issue has to change, and the family reunification issue has to change.

The timing

I think the time to get it done is in November, right after the elections. I’m being very pragmatic. I think there are a bunch of people who are retiring who would cast votes (because) their heart and their intellect tell them it is the right thing, but their politics might have told them no. They are free to cast votes that we might not normally get. I think it’s a propitious time to get something done if we have presidential leadership. That’s what I said to the president two weeks ago when I was at the White House with him.

Presidential support

I think his heart’s in the right place. However, some of the people around him, his advisors, I worry about them because they’re just about the politics of it. He said that he was as committed as ever to immigration reform.. . . He doesn’t necessarily agree with November or never. But then again, I didn’t expect him to.

Democratic support

I think it’s a challenge for the Democratic party. The issue of immigration reform to Latinos is the civil rights issue of their time.

http://tinyurl.com/yzdsf6m
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What does everyone think? would they have time with Holiday recesses in Nov. and Dec. to pass such a bill?

I sure wouldn't put it past these scum bags....but they better make up their mind they will never want to run for any public office again.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

It's what they wanted to do with HC too.......hurry the vote before Scott Brown was sworn in.

I forget what it was precisely but they couldn't do it without violating something or another, if I remember correctly.

It seems that would be the case with amnesty as well.

Menendez can just go slither back under his rock.......
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Need to campaign hard against this jerk.

I'd feel safer sticking my hand into a den of western diamondbacks, than dealing with this jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    What does everyone think? would they have time with Holiday recesses in Nov. and Dec. to pass such a bill?

I sure wouldn't put it past these scum bags....but they better make up their mind they will never want to run for any public office again.
    The lame duck congress won't give a rip what they do to us. This is exactly what I've been worried about.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

[quote="Cliffdid"]

Need to campaign hard against this jerk.

That he won't remain in place come 2012 is a very distinct possibility at this point.

After November he's going to find out he has very little company left in DC and I think that those who escape the voter's wrath this time around are most likely going to "retire" (run away) or be voted out. If, of course, they aren't indicted first.

Hang in there Cliffdid.

I don't think they'll be able to ram anything else down our throats, they expended all their clout on Obamacare. He's wrong about the losers having nothing to lose if they're voted out of office. They will lose any future political aspirations they have if they do this. Amensty must NOT pass, ever again!
    "

I think there are a bunch of people who are retiring who would cast votes (because) their heart and their intellect tell them it is the right thing, but their politics might have told them no.
    Their politics have told them no BECAUSE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DON'T WANT IT!!! You ethnocentric slimy snake Menendez.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

The issue of immigration reform to Latinos is the civil rights issue of their time.
    Now that is hilarious! This pro-illegal fluffball apparently forgot to read history or the Constitution. The civil rights movement was about discrimination against one group of American CITIZENS. Civil rights does not mean we should give any consideration to the lawbreakers in this country without permission. It is pretty obvious and stupid that he has adapted this for his own benefit on behalf of illegals, that may one day vote for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast