Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Michael Gerson on the Dream Act

http://www.nationalreview.com/agenda/25 ... ihan-salam

I don’t find Michael Gerson’s arguments concerning the Dream Act very persuasive:

Critics counter that the law would be a reward for illegal behavior and an incentive for future lawbreaking. But these immigrants, categorized as illegal, have done nothing illegal. They are condemned to a shadow existence entirely by the actions of their parents. And the Dream Act is not an open invitation for future illegal immigrants to bring their minors to America. Only applicants who have lived in America continuously for five years before enactment of the law would qualify.

But what of the billions of children condemned to relative poverty because their parents chose not to become unauthorized immigrants? According to Michael Clemens and Lant Pritchett, migration is a highly effective means of achieving poverty reduction. An extraordinary 26 percent of people born in Haiti who live beyond the two-dollar-a-day standard live in the United States.

As I understand it, the DREAM Act implicitly tells us that I should value the children of unauthorized immigrants more than the children of other people living in impoverished countries. If we assume that all human beings merit equal concern, this is obviously nonsensical. Indeed, all controls on migration are suspect under that assumption...
    [/i]
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

All the American public see is giving these kids a chance - what they don't know, and how would they if listening to the media - is the effects of Dreamnesty down the road from chain-migration

You're right, unfortunately.

They are also overlooking the fact that the majority of illegals are between the ages of 17 and 36.
    Sounds like a MASS amnesty to me.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It is a mass amnesty, but try telling that to the tools in the MSM.

DreAmnesty

Quote Originally Posted by greenkat
    DreAmnesty
    Bingo.

Banned
    Legally , all of them are out of status

There might be some special cases but in the end the right thing to do
    is deport them , then arrest the parents and try them for child abuse (sneaking them in here) then suspend their sentence and deport them

I think that would be more than fair

Hold the main purps accountable , it would be fair

Quote Originally Posted by greenkat
    All the American public see is giving these kids a chance - what they don't know, and how would they if listening to the media - is the effects of Dreamnesty down the road from chain-migration
    Not only that but when you reward lawbreakers instead of punishing them with what our laws demand for a crime it will only encourage more lawbreaking. In this case it will encourage more illegal parents to bring their kids in for the next Dream Act.

Send the dreamers home and madre'and padre' will follow!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn