I wrote the following letter to my hometown Outback. My hometown has a very small Latino population, yet I noticed that all of the busboys on the night that I dined there were Latino. This doesn't mean that they are necessarily illegal, but, what about hiring local Americans (of all races.) I'm pretty sure that most if not all of these guys were from other countries...based on speech, and general intuition (plus, two of them rode home on bikes, which is kind of odd for my hometown...but not for illegals.) I know my intuition well, and live near many illegals, which is why I have a strong suspicion.

Here is my letter:

Dear (name of General Manager):

I celebrated my birthday at your restaurant in early July, 2006, and it was good experience. I lived in Bel Air, MD, for 24 years, and now live outside of Harford County, but still visit 2 to 3 times per month, as many family and friends reside in Bel Air and the adjacent towns.

I was disappointed to notice that all of the busboys on this particular night were Latino. I am not a racist, as 1/2 of my extended family is Latino. While I do not know the legal status of these workers, I wanted to express my disappointment in your choice of hires.

These individuals may be great people, or just plain average, but my intuition and experience tells me that many Latino immigrants employed in restaurants are often illegal aliens, often using fraudulent or false Social Security or Alien Registration Cards as legal proof that they can work in the USA. Now, do these gentlemen fall into that category? I have no idea, but the possibility is there. They also may be U.S. citizens, or they could be here on sponsored work visas. Again, I do not know.

I want to express my disappointment in your hiring practices, because I do know there are tons of kids (good kids) ages 16 to 23 attending Bel Air High School, C.M. Wright, John Carroll, Fallston High School, and Harford Community College (this is where ages 18 to 23 comes in) who would make great busboys. These youngsters are guys and girls, and are White, Black, Asian, and, you guessed it -- Latino. They are American citizens or LEGAL immigrants, who have a right to work in the USA, and would do a fine job for you. I used to do this type of work a few years ago, at another area restaurant, and Americans and Legal Immigrants are very capable of handling these jobs.

If it is hard (which I doubt) to attract young Americans to be busboys at Outback, do a Community Outreach with the local schools. With the Guidance Departments of these schools. You will get people -- good people - I promise.

I would also encourage you to use the Federal Goverment's "SAVE" program when checking on the legality of new hires. It is simple, extremely quick, an effective. Please see attachment (I attached info on the pilot SAVE program.)

It really bothers me when a restaurant from my hometown -- Bel Air, Maryland -- "Americana" itself -- resorts to hiring possible outsiders over American citizens. Even if the individuals are here on a work visa. Bel Air's young people need to learn the responsiblity of hard but honest work, and I'd like to see your restaurant hire Americans -- of all races -- to do the work. But the key word is "Americans." How are young people going to appreciate all of the goodness that comes with hard work, when local businesses like yourselves hire outsiders or possible illegal aliens?

I personally won't dine at the Bel Air Outback again until I see American citizens once again doing the jobs at the restaurant (i.e. busboys.) I didn't see your kitchen, but it wouldn't surprise me if you have possible illegal aliens working back there, as well. Did you check the ID's of your foreign workers? How thoroughly?

I'm also going to encourage others to dine elsewhere in Bel Air.

I would usually never write this sort of letter, but seeing this in my own hometown really got to me. I wonder if other area Outbacks are resorting to non-Americans? I should go check it out.

Please explore the pilot "SAVE" program, and think about hiring American citizens. You never know -- the next General Manager of your restaurant might speak fluent but accented English, and be willing to work for $10,000 less than you, and might edge you out of a job. But, after all, this foreign-born manager is just doing the work that Americans won't do (ha! ha!)

I don't mean to be rude, but this issue is huge, and really brings out the emotions in people (and me.) I apologize if that came across as insulting. But, PLEASE, put the people of Harford County first in line for hiring. I should say, the "Legal" citizens first.

Sincerely,

My Name and Telephone Number

IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS, people of ALIPAC, let me know. It just really hit me when I saw that in my hometown. Even if they were employed legally, why does the restaurant choose them over actual Americans? The majority of the other restaurants in the area, from what I could tell, hire mostly Americans.