Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N-S Korean Border-World's most armed border

The border between North and South Korea is the most heavily mined area in the world. South Korea is guarded from attack by the North with 35,000 US troops.

Most of the US border with Mexico is 4 strands of barbed wire.

I'd like to know how much it costs the US taxpayers to pay for the N-S Korean border. Why isn't that money being spent on our own border? There isn't much crossing going on from North to South Korea. The North Koreans take the path of least resistance into China by walking across a river that constitutes a border.

I've tried to search the Internet to find out how much it costs to house 35,000 American troops in S Korea and to maintain the border there with the North, but haven't found the numbers.

Does anyone out there know?

I'm an AF Vet who spent two assignements in S. Korea. I don't know about the costs but I can tell you that the AF has closed 3-4 of it's bases there over the last 10 years or so and I'm pretty sure the other branches have closed some bases also. So there have been some cut backs in spending. Also, the Army has moved a couple of it's units from S. Korea to Iraq.

As far as the border goes, the Korean War has never ended. Only an armistice was signed. That is the reason for all the troops and the S. Korean troops are out there on the border also.

There are other reasons for keeping military troops in S. Korea other than the border.