Like Tree1Likes

Thread: National Journal: Paul Ryan Will Lead House on Amnesty After GOP Primaries

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

National Journal: Paul Ryan Will Lead House on Amnesty After GOP Primaries

National Journal: Paul Ryan Will Lead House on Amnesty After GOP Primaries

Email Article Print article Send a Tip

by Matthew Boyle 18 Dec 2013 745 post a comment
    The National Journal’s Major Garrett is out with a new report detailing how House GOP leadership plans to push an immigration bill that would grant amnesty to America’s at least 11 million illegal aliens in 2014, a bill that would move after GOP primary season and have House Budget Committee chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) leading the way.

“Boehner has to wait for the bulk of primary season to pass (May or June) before serious immigration work can begin,” Garrett wrote.
    By then, much of the legislation can be written and the calendar cleared for action in the summer. The House GOP leader on the budget deal, Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., may emerge as a key figure. Ryan's pedigree is not on immigration policy, but conference conservatives will follow him. He has the scars of the budget fights, the experience of a national campaign, and a wide-open calendar to freelance now that spending numbers have been set for the next two years. Ryan has boundless policy energy and equally boundless ambition. If Boehner needs or wants a new driver on immigration, one tested by fire from the right, he may well choose Ryan.
    Garrett then quoted a radio interview Ryan did in Wisconsin on Monday, where he talked about immigration.

“First we must have the border security, and independently verified,” Ryan said in the radio interview. “First we must have the interior enforcement like E-Verify in place and independently verified before the other parts of the law that they want to go into place go into place. So it's not a ‘trust, hope, and promise.’ It's a ‘get what we want, verify it's there.’ Then the rest of the law can be triggered.”

“Guaranteed border security, guaranteed interior enforcement, no amnesty—then I think that's productive,” Ryan added. “I think that's in our interest. I think that's good for our country.”
    A GOP aide to a congressional committee said of Ryan’s radio comments that it is clear Ryan “is describing a 'Gang of Eight' style bill that has amnesty first and pointless triggers later” that is “a huge handout to big business, too.”

Ryan has not said that border security and interior enforcement must be implemented before any bills that deal with legalization of illegal aliens’ statuses or a massive increase in guest workers or legal immigration are taken up in the House. A massive increase in legal immigration or guest workers would cut into unemployed and underemployed Americans’ job hunting prospects.

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) said on the Senate floor earlier this week that the House should not take up any immigration bills until President Barack Obama actually starts securing the border and enforcing the laws of the land.

“Speaker Boehner of the House has said that they will not take up the Senate bill, but will take up several immigration bills in a step-by-step approach,” Sessions said on the Senate floor.
    But does anyone believe this administration will actually enforce anything that they pass? They’re not enforcing current law. I urge the House to ensure that before they get into passing laws and conferring on any comprehensive bill, they start insisting and help us insist that this administration enforce the law that we have. If they just refuse to do it, why should we assume that passing a law has any ability to change the path we are on? The first responsibility of Congress must be to restore the rule of law, to secure the border, and to bring the Administration into compliance with the laws of the United States. Until that happens, there's no reason or basis to offer up any legalization plans considered in congress. Congress cannot capitulate into this overreach.

Sessions added, “no one is above the law.”

“Failure to uphold our laws violates our legal and moral responsibilities to our own citizens and those who came to this country legally and creates the preconditions necessary for a repressive and capricious government,” Sessions said.
    Last week, Ryan helped muscle the “Bipartisan Budget Agreement,” a deal he cut with Senate Budget Committee chairwoman Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA), through the House. The bill is expected to pass the Senate on Wednesday.

To win the House GOP conference, Ryan used a series of talking points about the bill that were not accurate--as Breitbart News has detailed over the course of a series of stories. Ryan, according to Senate Budget Committee ranking member Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), used double counting techniques that Democrats employed with Obamacare. Ryan claimed the bill would result in $23 billion in deficit reduction when, in reality—after taking the double counting and the interest on borrowed money for new spending into account—it would end up increasing the deficit by at least $15.5 billion.

Ryan’s committee also published a document falsely claiming that disabled and injured veterans’ pensions would be protected from slashes in the Ryan-Murray budget, a claim Ryan’s spokesman admitted to Breitbart News was inaccurate. Ryan’s committee scrubbed the document of the false claim and his spokesman will not answer when asked repeatedly if Ryan or his committee told members of the House of Representatives of the error and correction before they voted for his deal with Murray.

Moving forward into the immigration fight, Ryan is even more pro-amnesty than Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) was. Ryan is still publicly supportive of a conference committee between a group of House immigration bills and the Senate’s “Gang of Eight” legislation, even though Rubio and House Speaker John Boehner, Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, and Judiciary Committee chairman Bob Goodlatte have all come out against conference.

Rubio had used misleading talking points on immigration, something for which he has paid dearly politically and is still attempting to recover. Since Ryan has used misleading talking points on the budget, the question moving into next year will become whether or not Ryan has political capital left to burn or whether conservatives in the House start standing up to him.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-Ryan-in-front

JUST GOES TO SHOW DEFEAT ISN'T DEFEAT!!!!!

Paul Ryan: Amnesty first THEN border security

Paul Ryan: Amnesty first THEN border security.

By admin
    30 June, 2013
    21 Comments

Remember last year all the excitement when the true conservative from Wisconsin, Paul Ryan, was chosen by Mitt Romney to be his Vice Presidential running mate? Well, this white boy certainly remembers. I remember all the conservatives on Facebook shouting hosannas and alleluias towards Romney for such a wonderful choice.

From Scott Brown, Marco Rubio, Krispy Kreme Chris Christie, to Paul Ryan it’s more apparent than ever that conservatives are easily fooled. When will conservatives ever wake up and realize that the Republican party does not serve their interests? When do they ever support conservative candidates or stand up for conservative principles? When will they once and for all support reducing the size of government? Most importantly, why do conservatives continue to vote Republican?

In an interview with Sean Hannity last week, Representative Ryan kept advocating that the best plan to solve the illegal immigration problem would be to first legalize them THEN secure the border. Hannity, to his credit, expressed doubt that this was the right course take, failing to convince Ryan otherwise.

via the Washington Examiner:

That, at least, is one conclusion to take from Ryan’s appearance last Wednesday on Sean Hannity’s Fox News program. Hannity interviewed Rubio several times during the Gang of Eight deliberations. In later interviews, Hannity became more skeptical and questioning, and in the last such interview expressed surprise that Rubio had declared legalization would come before border security. With Ryan in the interview chair, the first thing Hannity wanted to know was when securing the border would come in the sequence of immigration reform.

“I’m sure you are aware, a lot of conservatives including myself are angry,” Hannity told Ryan. “No border security first. How do you feel about it?”

Ryan stressed that the House would not take up the Senate Gang of Eight bill. “We want to have real triggers on the border, real triggers on what we call the E-Verify,” Ryan said. But Hannity wanted to know if that meant border security would come first: “Is securing the border first a top priority for you?” he asked.

“It is a top priority for me,” Ryan answered. But then Ryan explained that immigration reform as he envisions it would, like the Gang of Eight bill, begin with legalization, and only after that would it do the work of securing the border:

Hear what I say. What we’re talking about in the House is we’re saying, people who are here undocumented, because we realize we cannot deport 11 million people and find them and deport them, so we want to put them on a probationary status, that’s the kind of thinking we have here, and they can’t get out of that probationary status, they can’t get legal permanent residence, which is what Chuck Grassley was talking there*, until these border efforts are made, until the border is secure, until the E-Verify set up.

Now, we don’t want to leave it to the executive branch like Janet Napolitano to make that decision, we want objective metrics, we want Congress’ auditing on the General Accountability Office to tell us whether or not these metrics have been met, whether or not the border is really secure, whether or not the verification system is up and running. And only until that has occurred can a person in this status change their status from probation to something other than that.

Ryan’s position could not have been clearer: First, comes the legalization, and then come the measures to secure the border.

Hannity was skeptical and challenging. “My sources have been telling me, congressman, that you guys are considering a five-year temporary legal status, and then if the border security measure is not met in five years, that that would be revoked.”

“That’s right,” Ryan said. “That’s right.”

“I don’t believe that would ever happen,” Hannity shot back. Ryan answered:

Well, look, they can’t get — what a person would want to have, is they would come out of the shadows, they’d get put on probation, they’d pay taxes, pay fines, learn English, learn civics. If they break the terms of their probation, they can be deported. And if the border is not secure by that time, if the verification system is not up and running, they can’t get — not only does the status go away, they can’t get legal permanent residence…

If you want to get this population, the undocumented population, in legal permanent residency, get them a green hard, then these other things have to happen first, the border has to be secured, the E-Verify system has to be up and running. That’s the kind of system we’re talking about here in the House.

That is precisely the structure provided for in the Senate Gang of Eight bill that Senate Republicans opposed two-to-one. Hannity sensed that immediately.

“But what I’m hearing you say, is you’re still giving them legal status first, albeit temporary,” Hannity said. “And I think I speak for a lot of people, congressman. Most people see that when we are promised spending cuts, we get the tax increase, we never get the spending cut. We get the amnesty, we never get the border security. Why wouldn’t you support something such as expediting, building the security measures in — I mean, we sent men to the moon, couldn’t we do within 12 months, 18 months?
    Ryan didn’t answer the question, instead stressing that legalization is necessary for the government to learn the real identities of the 11 million currently illegal immigrants. “We think it’s important to get legal immigration working in order to secure the border, to do it this way,” Ryan said. “This is not giving anybody an amnesty.”

“All right,” Hannity said. “So, what you’re saying is, temporary legal status, do you blame me for being suspicious — ”
    “Not at all,” said Ryan.

” — that it would never be revoked, whether or not the border was ever secure?” Hannity said. “That why I think myself and a lot of conservatives are saying, don’t we have a right to have sovereign borders and that done first? Why not do that first?”

“Sean, I’m suspicious as well,” Ryan said. Past reforms have not worked, Ryan added, and this time, he wants to take a “wide gate, high fence” approach to immigration. “We think legal immigration that works and is viable is the best way of securing the border — it’s sort of a wide gate, high-fence approach….We need a workable legal immigration system, while we get the border under control and have employment verification system, because illegal immigration and identity theft are sort of one in the same thing.”

No matter how many times Hannity asked the question, Ryan’s answer was still the same: legalization first. But Hannity kept trying. “You know, I’m listening to you, and obviously, you put a lot of thought into this,” he told Ryan. “I talk to a lot of conservatives, they write me, they’re writing me right now on Twitter, and I can predict for you what the answer is going to be. If you don’t trust the government, and I don’t trust the government, and we can send a man on the moon, why don’t we just secure the border and expedite it immediately? Make it a national security priority and then deal with these other issues. Why is that not an option for you?”

“Because in order to secure the border, you have to have a workable legal immigration system that people who are trying to come to this country to work have a way of coming here legally,” Ryan said. “You can’t just seal it off, you need to make sure that people can come here legally and we also have to remember, we’ve got 11 million people in the country who are undocumented who either overstayed their visa or crossed the border illegally. What are we going to do? We’re not going to be able to find them and deport them. We have to find a way of dealing with this population, we want to do it in a way that respects the rule of law, and puts them at the back of the line, so that everybody who did things right — ”

“Can’t you do that after the border is secure, though?” asked Hannity.

“We think it goes with the border,” Ryan said. “We think it’s the best way to secure the border is to have this workable legal immigration system alongside it.”

By that point, it was obvious that Ryan is firmly and probably unchangeably committed to the legalization-first approach. Knowing that many conservative Republicans are firmly and probably unchangeably committed to an enforcement-first approach, Hannity moved on to the consequences of an internecine fight over the issue. “I’m concerned that there’s going to be a conservative revolt and a divide in the Republican Party,” he said. “Are you at all worried about that?”

http://www.theconservativenewsfeed.c...rder-security/
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 12-20-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn