Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC:Some in Durham upset by resolution snubbing Arizona

Jim Wise - Staff writer

DURHAM -- Last night's City Council vote to restrict city-business travel to Arizona if that state enacts its controversial law regarding immigration-status checks not going over well with Durham citizens -- at least, not with those making their opinions known at City Hall today.

Evelyn Wright-Corbett of the City Clerk's staff sent this e-mail to council members:

"The Mayor’s Office has received numerous calls of displeasure concerning last night’s vote in re: Arizona. Various citizens would like the City Council to know that there is a vast amount of people in the city of Durham who are totally against the decision made on last evening; people from other counties have called stating that they will stop shopping in the city of Durham; and, Durham citizens are talking about boycotting Durham pertaining to their purchase power. [sic]

"Last night's vote actually wasn't for an outright ban on official travel to Arizona; it left such trips subject to case-by-case review and decision by the City Council. The council also included a call for the federal government to reform its immigration law, with which the law being considered by Arizona's legislature closely corresponds."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/06/22/ ... z0rdsSl2PC

Wow.
    I lived in Durham (and Raleigh and Chapel Hill) in the mid 80’s and 90’s.
    I also lived in southern California (including Garden Grove, where I attended OCC) in 1980 and 81.
    It is such a weird feeling to see America slipping away, city by city. It brings it home to hear of these familiar places becoming mere extensions of Mexico, deep within our borders.
    It is like spreading mold. All of a sudden, it is everywhere.