Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nebraska State Senator - Latino Commission rubbing shoulders with La Raza on taxpayer

Latino Commission rubbing shoulders with La Raza on taxpayer dime

September 08, 2015 6:38 pm • Nebraska State Senator Bill Kintner

The Nebraska Latino American Commission - previously known as the Mexican American Commission - was established by the Nebraska Legislature in 1972.

This independent state agency's mission “is to serve as a link between the Nebraska State Government and the Hispanic/Latino Community,” while its vision “is to empower the Hispanic/Latino Community through a pro-active approach to issues that affect their access to education, social, political, and economic opportunities in Nebraska.”

Except for the Nebraska Commission on Indian Affairs, which serves as a go-between for Native-Americans and state government, the Latino Commission is the only other separate state agency created to serve a specific class of individuals based on ethnicity, race, or nationality.

I sit on the Legislature’s Appropriations Committee. My colleagues and I go through each agency, program, board, and commission to look at their appropriation requests and create a biennial budget for the Nebraska Legislature to discuss in every odd calendar year, which was earlier this year.

Out of this process, the Latino American Commission’s current biennial budget for Fiscal Year15-16 and Fiscal Year16-17 was set at roughly $410,000 of state General Fund tax dollars.

Included in the budget appropriations request last session from this independent state agency was a funding request for members or staff to attend the National Council of La Raza 2015 Annual Convention.

This is a little disconcerting, considering the National Council of La Raza’s far-left political positions and the organization's questionable ties over the years to anti-American Hispanic groups, as well as current and past statements of their leaders.

First, let’s look at the term “La Raza” in this organization's name.

Though the National Council of La Raza has argued that in context “La Raza” means “the people” or “the community,” its plain meaning is quite simply “The Race.”

Stanford University historian, Victor Davis Hanson, agrees in a recent August 31 article entitled “How Illegal Immigration Finally Turned Off the Public.” He offers the following interesting perspective:

“It is difficult for the National Council of La Raza to attempt to airbrush away vocabulary like “anchor baby” and “illegal immigration,” while insisting that its own nomenclature “La Raza” has nothing to do with race. The public knows that La Raza means “The Race,” and that those who founded that organization chose that racially charged noun for the precise purpose of ethnic triumphalism — in the way that every infamous 20th-century Latinate racist demagogue from Mussolini to Franco found a use for Raza/Razza, a mostly taboo term in Mediterranean Europe today. In an age when the Washington Redskins earn a presidential rebuke, it is inconceivable that the chief illegal-immigration advocate is a federally subsidized group known as the National Council of La Raza. No other organization would dare use such a term. In the public mind illegal immigration has gone from the old narrative that racists were enforcing the law to keep out mostly brown people to a new generation of racists who are trying to subvert the law to bring in mostly brown people.”

In almost any other context, a group with a name such as NCLR’s would be denounced, and rightly so.

No matter what the La Raza organiztion argues about the meaning of its name, I clearly question the use of state funds for our Latino Council members or employees to attend such an openly agenda-driven left-leaning organization, which clearly supports liberal, progressive immigration policy and amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Anyone is free to support causes they deem important on their own time and with their own dime. But, Nebraska taxpayers are footing the bill for this.

For example, the longtime former president of La Raza, Raul Yzaguirre, who now serves as Hillary Clinton’s Hispanic outreach adviser, was quoted as saying “U.S. English is to Hispanics as the Ku Klux Klan is to blacks.” This was in reference to the oldest citizen action organization, U.S. English, which is dedicated to the preservation of English as our official language as a unifying element to our country.

This is hyperbole, designed to marginalize and repress opposition of their entitlement type immigration policies they are known to support. It is propaganda like this that divides and leads to the “balkanization” of our nation.

Why would we want to publicly support the “rubbing shoulders” of our Latino Commission members with this group?

Should the Legislature’s Appropriation Committee have appropriated tax dollars for a state agency to attend such a leftist group? I don’t believe so. I voted against this expenditure and was outvoted.

I will continue to review this travel expenditure – as well as those of other state agencies – to determine whether or not the taxpayers should be funding them. I have concluded that if our Latino Commission members want to attend a La Raza event, it should be at their personal expense.

But I think the bigger and more important question is, should we have a Nebraska Latino American Commission at all?

Does state government really need a commission for a single ethnic group? Is it a fair and wise use of taxpayer dollars? Should they be able to use tax dollars to lobby the legislature like they did last session in support of LB623, the bill which authorized the state to give driver’s licenses to illegal aliens?

After looking at this state agency's website, and listening to its testimony in committee, I not sure of the need for a publicly funded commission, the work of which could be accomplished through private advocacy organizations.

I don’t believe this is a good priority for state government and the $410,000 two-year price tag. I will be looking at remedies to resolve this.

Our Appropriations Committee took a new approach to looking at all state agencies this past budget year – work which I expect to intensify. There are a lot of important priorities that taxpayers want funded with our tax dollars. The list of annual spending requests appears endless. It is about prioritizing expenditures – for me those are tax relief, roads, infrastructure, law enforcement, and education.

As always, I really appreciate hearing from you on important matters. Please do not hesitate to contact me or my staff for information on legislative bills or if I may be of assistance. Please reach me at: Senator Bill Kintner, 1000 State Capitol, Lincoln, NE 68509 (402-471-2613), or at my email: bkintner@leg.ne.gov.

http://fremonttribune.com/cass-news/...5fb608f86.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Exactly! We need to pass the FairTax which shuts down all these phony 501 C 3 tax fraud "charities".

FairTax Act of 2015: HR 25 in the US House of Representatives and S 155 in the US Senate!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn