Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Neil Cavuto misses growing SSI burden from immigrants

By 2050 the population of retired non-citizens ( and usually never employed in the US) receiving the federally paid SSI benefit will be 16 MILLION. And if an "immigration reform" bill were passed this would be even higher. What is this doing to our younger generations who already see Social Security slipping away? Besides the SSI benefit, which can be several hundred dollars each month, these people also qualify for locally funded benefits, often housing, food stamps, medical care.

Why are our leaders and the news media not talking about this? Neil Cavuto wants to know why Republicans won't address Medicare yet we are handing out billions every year to people who didn't pay into our system to begin with. I've brought this up, personally and directly with three Republican Representatives so far, including entitlement reformer Rep. Paul Ryan. The response: usually the belief that the 1996 welfare reforms corrected all of this or a reticence to dive into this. The article below shows something quite different. The major change from 1996 is that such people wait more years before claiming. Of course with our superior medical system they will live that much longer or more.

August 31, 2009
    Invisible Immigrants, Old and Left With ‘Nobody to Talk To’
    By PATRICIA LEIGH BROWN

FREMONT, Calif. — They gather five days a week at a mall called the Hub, sitting on concrete planters and sipping thermoses of chai. These elderly immigrants from India are members of an all-male group called The 100 Years Living Club. They talk about crime in nearby Oakland, the cheapest flights to Delhi and how to deal with recalcitrant daughters-in-law.

Together, they fend off the well of loneliness and isolation that so often accompany the move to this country late in life from distant places, some culturally light years away.

“If I don’t come here, I have sealed lips, nobody to talk to,â€
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As a retired senior who with spouse has 85+combined years of work what we take out in Medicare and SS pales with what I see people under 40 gaining in Medicaid and other benefits. I have young relatives who at age 35 have obtained and used more benefits then my spouse and I.

The Medicaid system is a world heathcare/welfare system...................
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

I'm afraid that Paul Ryan is probably targeting the wrong entitlements and will run into a logjam. I'll breathe easier if the GOP picks up some more seats next year. Don't know much about Medicaid except I hear it is riddled with flaws.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Medicaid is basically a health care system for those without insurance that includes people who can afford insurance but simply won't buy.

Obamacare is simply Medicaid in a broader plan to cover everyone, a huge mistake that will destroy what is remaining of the American health care system.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.