Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A NEW CONSTITUTION?

http://buchanan.org/blog/index.php?page ... ecent=6010

Since the Continental Congress was a de facto, provisional national government without legal basis whose members drafted and ratified our Constitution, and upon which individual state governments were established, could it\’s legality be challenged and what laws would prohibit the development of a new Constitution to include a national initiative?
    # Posted by carolinamtnwoman 2 hours ago – edit

The states existed, as mostly autonomous entities and under the Articles of Confederation, prior to the drafting, submission and ratification of the U.S. Constitution. The States can convene, by their own authority, a constitutional convention and can, if they wish, adopt a new Constitution…..at least, in theory. As a practical matter however, that\’s an entirely different story.

Consider though what it might be like if it were a practical possibility to convene just such a convention. When one considers the economic, social, religious and political mindset of the greater part of today\’s body politic, then I think that I would be more than just a little concerned as to what kind of governmental structure might result from such a convention. The concepts of liberty, private property, economic freedom, religious worship, freedom of speech and, overall, limited government have suffered greatly under our current Constitution, with small road bumps thrown here and there by the U.S. Supreme Court. The likely result of such a convention might well be to completely render those concepts without even a mention in a new \â€

Here's the latest on this discussion:

Very interesting question. Are you basically asking: IF in the event we become part of the North American Union (as GWB is trying to push) — would we then, or rather would each individual State, become Independent countries unto themselves? Basically, reverting back to what their status was BEFORE the Continental Congress convened. Is that similar to what you are asking?

If so, I would like to know the answer to that one myself. Any of you scholarly enough to answer it?

It would be a curious situation.
    # Posted by starsandstripes 6 hours ago

I will try to answer a part of it. You mention the integration of laws and regulations between countries situated within an NAU. Treaties entered into by the U.S., with foreign powers, are as much as part of the Constitution, and carry a greater \â€