Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New driver's license requires birth certificate

New driver's license requires birth certificate

Posted by Kyla King
    08:24AM

We want your opinion on the new driver's license. Post a comment below.

If you don't know where your birth certificate is, you better find it. Because of new federal ID requirements coming late next year, you're going to need it when your driver's license expires.

That was made even more clear Wednesday when Michigan Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land took a major step in preparing for the change.

Land had two packages of bills introduced on her behalf in the House and Senate that lay the legal groundwork for creating two new versions of the Michigan driver's license.

The first is a standard-issue license with enhanced security features that could be used for domestic air travel because only U.S. citizens, or those legally present in the country, could get it.

The second is an upgraded, optional, and more expensive ID that could be used in lieu of a passport for travel to and from Canada and other Western Hemisphere countries.

"We need to get this in place because the (federal) deadlines are on the horizon," said Land's spokeswoman, Kelly Chesney.

The cost of both new IDs will not be determined until details of the federal law are finalized, but fees will be slightly higher than the current versions because of enhanced security features and the required document

Land is moving forward because it is important to get laws in place so her office has the authority to issue both licenses. Under the federal Real ID Act passed in 2005, state motor vehicle departments are mandated to demand up to four different documents that prove citizenship and residency before issuing a license.

The act also requires all citizens of Western Hemisphere nations that enter the U.S., and all U.S. citizens re-entering the county, to have a passport or special driver's license.

Land has worked out an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security and the Canadian government that, when complete, will allow Michigan residents who frequently travel to and from Canada to use the upgraded version of the state driver's license.

That license will be more expensive because it must contain a radio frequency identification chip, Chesney said.

State Rep. Bill Huizenga, R-Zeeland, said he signed on to co-sponsor the package that authorizes the upgraded license to give people a convenient and less expensive option to getting a passport. It also will keep traffic moving at the Canadian border, he said.

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2007/12/d ... icate.html

My daughter is ready for her permit and I am required to bring along her birth certificate and SS CARD in addition to MY ID, as the legal guardian.

Guess what? I have absolutely NO problem with this and neither should anyone else legally here!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

This is interesting because I got my license in 1985 here in UT, and back then everybody had to have a copy of their birth certificate in order to get a license. And, not only did you have to have a birth certificate, you had to have one with the embossed stamp on it, or they wouldn't accept it. If it was faxed or copied, and you tried to get a license, you were told to get an official birth certificate and come back then.
    I say bring this practice back.

However, I refuse to have anything to do with a REAL ID card. This isn't Russia.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Sippy, those documents are still required in PA and NJ. NJ law is tougher of the 2.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I got my driver's license in California in 1966. It required a embossed stamped birth certificate even then.

I will not go for the option of the RFID license. I will continue to use my passport if I intend to travel out of the country. I just feel safer this way.

Birth certificates have always been a requirement to get your drivers licence in Michigan, but Michigan allows Illegal Aliens to receive a drivers license.

How can Illegal Aliens get a license if all people in Michigan have to present a birth certificate?

Michigan is one of 8 states still issuing licenses to illegal aliens.

This article came out in September for new driver's licenses in NC. Interesting read. I just thought I would add it here since it also concerns NAU.

About the North Carolina Driver License Hologram ..."The hologram is a security feature which is planned to be included eventually on licenses throughout the United States. It was added to the North Carolina driver license in December 2006 as a common security element which enhances security, protects against document fraud and aids law enforcement."... Read more in the AAMVA PDF file <HERE>

1st U.S. Driver's License for North American Union Created September 6th, 2007
    L-1 Identity Solutions Receives Contract Extensions Totaling Nearly $20 Million from the States of Illinois and North Carolina
    to Produce Secure Digital Driver's Licenses
    North Carolina DL First in U.S. and Canada to Add New Security Feature from AAMVA Website

Sinister plot? No, it’s just for security, DMV says by Mark Binker Staff Writer September 23rd, 2007
    In DMV hologram, some see sign of plot by Bruce Siceloff, Road Worrier Staff Writer October 2nd, 2007
    Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Official Real I.D. Compliance Documents <HERE>

DHS and the State of Washington Team up to Advance Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (Advanced Drivers Licenses) Also DHS evaluating chipped license proposal Would encode personal information on driver's ID by Jerome R. Corsi WorldNetDaily.com April 19th, 2007
    Washington Examines RFID for Licenses
    Oregon to use face recognition software for driver's licenses by The Associated Press

http://www.stopthenau.org/#Drivers_License_Article_Here

Might have to click on Drivers license link or else scan down the page. This license would have the RFID chip embedded in it for supposedly out of country travel.

William, just curious if you sent out a NC driver's license to be tested for a RFID chip?

Motor vehicle officials said that there is no RFID technology in the hologram; still, Gheen said he's sending one out to be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by sippy
    This is interesting because I got my license in 1985 here in UT, and back then everybody had to have a copy of their birth certificate in order to get a license. And, not only did you have to have a birth certificate, you had to have one with the embossed stamp on it, or they wouldn't accept it. If it was faxed or copied, and you tried to get a license, you were told to get an official birth certificate and come back then.
    I say bring this practice back.

However, I refuse to have anything to do with a REAL ID card. This isn't Russia.
    This is what they need to require-----the birth certificate with the embossed stamp on it----as that will CLEARLY indicate that it is not fraudulent.

This should be required for voting, welfare, WIC, foodstamps, energy assistance, low-income housing, etc.------so that illegals are NOT able to get these benefits.
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    Birth certificates have always been a requirement to get your drivers licence in Michigan, but Michigan allows Illegal Aliens to receive a drivers license.

How can Illegal Aliens get a license if all people in Michigan have to present a birth certificate?

Michigan is one of 8 states still issuing licenses to illegal aliens.
    Plus, doesn't it have one of the LARGEST Muslim populations in the country-----1/3 of the population in Dearborn are Muslims!!!

So, if illegals are able to get driver's licenses-----I guess that potential terrorists could also be getting them!!
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast