Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New Huckabee ad appeals to Christian conservatives

I can't load pictures so you will have to go to the link to see the picture....sorry.

By Rebecca Sinderbrand
    CNN Washington bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- For the second time in two weeks, presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee has aired a commercial in which a Christian symbol appears in the background.

An ichthys, an ancient Christian symbol, appears in a new Mike Huckabee commercial.

1 of 2 In the campaign ad, Huckabee is addressing members of the Iowa Christian Alliance, an organization whose symbol is the ichthys, which appears on a banner shown prominently at the open and close of the 30-second spot.

The ICA is an influential social conservative organization in Iowa, and Huckabee can be seen speaking about his opposition to abortion before the group.

The ichthys, which resembles a fish, is well-known in evangelical circles as the symbol used by early Christians to secretly identify one another without attracting persecution.

The Huckabee campaign unveiled this ad and another on its campaign Web site Monday afternoon, hours after the former Arkansas governor reversed course and decided against airing a negative campaign commercial targeting rival Mitt Romney, former governor of Massachusetts.

"Our Values" is airing in Iowa, while "Tax Cuts Matter" is airing in New Hampshire, according to the campaign.

"The purpose of these ads is to highlight the things that truly matter -- while underscoring my conservative record of leadership and my vision for America moving forward," Huckabee said in a news release Tuesday announcing the ads. "As we enter the closing days of the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses, there are a lot of things being said on television and sent to mailboxes across the Hawkeye State. I urge Iowans to look beyond the rhetoric and seek the truth about my record and optimistic plans for our nation's future."

Iowa will hold the first presidential nominating contest Thursday, and evangelical conservatives are an important voting bloc in the caucuses. Fiscal conservatives play an influential role in the Republican primary in New Hampshire, which will take place next week.

"The pro-life position was the one espoused by our founding fathers when they said that all of us are created equal, endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights," Huckabee says in the ad. "The first one they listed was life. Nobody has a greater level of intrinsic worth or value than another person. Being unborn doesn't make you less valuable.

"Maybe instead of having our values trampled all over every single day and night, we would express to America what those values are: Family, life, freedom. Those things matter to us -- always have, always will."

A Huckabee spokesperson could not be reached for comment.

In late December, Huckabee dismissed suggestions he was trying to send a subliminal message to Christian voters in a campaign commercial that appeared to show a cross floating behind him. The cross was an outline of a shelf.

"Actually I will confess this, if you play this spot backwards it says 'Paul is Dead, Paul is Dead, Paul is Dead,' " the presidential candidate joked to reporters. "So the next thing you know, someone will be playing it backwards to find out the subliminal messages that are really there."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/01/ ... index.html
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Is that the ad Huckabee tried to get the press to run for him for free?
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ni it's not Richard--is a different one.

This is what was reported he said about pulling the negative ad in today's Des Moines Register:

Huckabee has also turned his decision to pull the negative ad into part of his stump speech, rallying supporters with the story both at his New Year�s Eve gathering Monday night at the Wakonda Club in Des Moines, and in Sergeant Bluff today.

�I know there�s a lot of people who are cynical that, well, we pulled a stunt yesterday,� Huckabee, drawing applause, told his supporters. �Some of you will understand, others will not, but what it came down to was if a man gains the whole world and loses his own soul, what does it profit him? Even the presidency, important that it is, isn�t worth having if you can�t do it right.�
    He is slick.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... PageReturn

Fences make good neighbors.
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Is that the ad Huckabee tried to get the press to run for him for free?
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

No. The ad with the fish is a brand new one and is not the negative one he showed to the press Richard.

Fences make good neighbors.
    Benjamin Franklin

What an IDIOT!!!
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.