Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New wave of ethnic voters will shape political future

New wave of ethnic voters will shape political future

by By Stephanie Slepian
    Sunday July 20, 2008, 6:16 AM
    :Registered Muslims leading the historic surge in diversity

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- In November, the lines at voting booths on Staten Island will have a new look, with record numbers of Muslims and other newly registered residents from diverse ethnic groups casting ballots in some of the most crucial local and national races in decades.
    In fact, the borough leads the city with a reported 43 percent increase in the number of registered Muslims in the North Shore and across the Island.

Kiran Syed is one of them.
    Her parents were penniless when they came to the United States from Pakistan before their children were born. But they saved enough to open two grocery stores as a way to give Kiran and her younger sister the best of everything. But the country is a different place now than it was when her parents came to Huguenot.

"The economy is going down, the gas prices are going up," said Kiran who checked the Democrat box not long after her 18th birthday in November.
    "Everything is falling apart. And the war we're fighting is completely unnecessary. Thousands of troops have died. Thousands of innocent Muslims have died."

In November, Kiran will do something about it: Vote for change.
    "I want my voice to be heard," said the Seton Hall University sophomore.
    That sentiment is part of what will propel the borough's ethnic voters to the polls this fall to participate in a historic presidential election and a congressional race that is already shaking the foundation of the local electorate.

Voter registration among Muslims increased by 43 percent from 2004 to 2007 in the North Shore's 49th Council district, the greatest change in any district across the city, according to an analysis by the Center for Urban Research at the City University of New York Graduate Center.
    Registration also increased 30-plus percent among Staten Islanders of Russian and Chinese descent in the same time frame. Across the city, more than 38,000 of the 1110,000 new voters were identified as Russian, Chinese and Muslim. Another 29,000 were Hispanic. ÂÂ
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Kiran has latched on to that hope.
    "I don't like how Muslims are treated," said Kiran, who is actively lobbying her "Republican loyalist" parents to go Democrat. "I think there can be real change with a different party coming in. I think maybe Muslims can start moving forward."
    So this woman thinks dems with move the muslims forward huh? Gee, I wonder why she would think that? And why would we let them move forward unless ofcourse we have a death wish? Muslims are wanting us dead, they have a mandate as muslims to convert us or kill us. Look at the turmoil in Europe. Why would I want to further their cause? Is it way too late to see the handwriting on the wall? There is no more time for being quiet about this....choose or lose.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

How about Americans moving forward rather than Muslims, Mexicans, etc.?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Once immigrants acculturate, registering to vote is a way to get some power, a way to get what government should give them," said national Democratic consultant Hank Sheinkopf.
    WHAT THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD GIVE THEM? Yep, that's the Democratic position, don't work for what you get, let us take it away from someone else who has worked and we'll give it to YOU. If McCain thinks that the Hispanics would vote for him and they would vote Republican he is saying mistaken for the very statement above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    "Once immigrants acculturate, registering to vote is a way to get some power, a way to get what government should give them," said national Democratic consultant Hank Sheinkopf.
    WHAT THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD GIVE THEM? Yep, that's the Democratic position, don't work for what you get, let us take it away from someone else who has worked and we'll give it to YOU. If McCain thinks that the Hispanics would vote for him and they would vote Republican he is saying mistaken for the very statement above.
    That really is a telling statement and mindset. Turns what JFK said on its head.

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    That really is a telling statement and mindset. Turns what JFK said on its head.
    You got that right Populist.

This goal would take years and years if people would get out and vote.....there are millions of Asians, blacks, whites and latino's, Mexicans who do not have this mind set of 'us against you' they are just Americans like we are, together we are the Majority of the population and will remain so.

We need an American get out the vote campaign...I myself know alot of Americans who do not vote, it just amazes me.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

The thing that REALLY disturbs me is that it seems that TOO many of these voters are thinking only of getting the edge for their OWN racial or ethnic group and NOT the GREATER good of the country!