Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nicer term for illegals...ugh.

Bill would mandate nicer term for illegals

Bill Cotterell
    News-Press
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007

TALLAHASSEE -- A state legislator whose district is home to thousands of Caribbean immigrants wants to ban the term "illegal alien" from the state's official documents.

"I personally find the word 'alien' offensive when applied to individuals, especially to children," said Sen. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami. "An alien to me is someone from out of space."

She has introduced a bill providing that: "A state agency or official may not use the term 'illegal alien' in an official document of the state." There would be no penalty for using the words.

In Miami-Dade County, Wilson said, "we don't say 'alien,' we say 'immigrant.'"

She said she encountered the situation when trying to pass a bill allowing children of foreigners to get in-state tuition at colleges and universities. Wilson, who directs a dropout prevention and education program in Miami, said she politely asks witnesses at public hearings on such issues not to use the term.

"There are students in our schools whose parents are trying to become citizens and we shouldn't label them," she said. "They are immigrants, through no fault of their own, not aliens."

Wilson said the first word isn't as bad as the second.

"'Illegal,' I can live with, but I like 'undocumented' better," she said.

Asked if her bill (SB 2154) might run afoul of Gov. Charlie Crist's "plain speaking" mandate for government agencies, Wilson said, "I think getting rid of 'alien' would be plain speaking."

"There are students in our schools whose parents are trying to become citizens and we shouldn't label them," she said. "They are immigrants, through no fault of their own, not aliens."
    OK, trying to become citizens, did they come here illegally? Now they're "trying" to become citizens - what? "Through no fault of their own", yeah, I got ticket for "illegal" (improper) passing once, my fault, no one forced me to pass on the right (enter a country illegally). I paid the fine! I was at fault!

She has introduced a bill providing that: "A state agency or official may not use the term
    I would deliberately use it in front of her.
    "ILLEGAL ALIEN"!!
    ------------------------

Banned
    see ,doesnt every one think there is way to much time spent on stupid stuff like this, by our bone headed congress,

ban the term "illegal alien" from the state's official documents.
    Its like we all know you can call any man any word, it might make him made if its not true, but if the shoe fits, we all know how that man will act.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    She has introduced a bill providing that: "A state agency or official may not use the term
    I would deliberately use it in front of her.
    "ILLEGAL ALIEN"!!
    Ya it needs repeating loudly"ILLEGAL ALIEN"

Illegal! = Criminal!

nope, No bad taste left here.

Sorry jmd. I know you're new, but...

This is a duplicate already posted.
    This belongs in News forum.
    Links to a Web source where the article appears need to be posted.
    Please don't alter article titles.

Locking thread for deletion. Copy posts to:

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=55797
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)