Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

tms

off Topic: Tom Tancredo in Response to U.S. Nuke Threat

thought it was worth a read because a lot of people want him to run for President.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.a ... E_ID=45298

NUCLEAR WAR-FEAR
    Tancredo clarifies
    'ultimate response'
    Should U.S. bomb Islamic holy sites
    after nuke terror attack on America?
    Posted: July 15, 2005
    5:00 p.m. Eastern

By Art Moore
    © 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Rep. Tom Tancredo
    Clarifying remarks from a radio interview that drew praise from some supporters, Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., said he was not suggesting that the U.S. should nuke the Islamic holy site Mecca as a response to a nuclear homeland attack by al-Qaida.

The congressman's press secretary told WorldNetDaily the comments were an off-the-cuff response to a hypothetical situation.

"He doesn't believe that we should go out and threaten to bomb anybody's holy city," said spokesman Will Adams.

In the interview this morning with Pat Campbell of WFLA radio in Orlando, Tancredo discussed his request for a briefing from the Justice Department on information it has on plans revealed by WND this week for a nuclear attack on the U.S. by al-Qaida terrorists.

Campbell noted that just after the London bombings last week, former Israeli counterterrorism intelligence officer Juval Aviv predicted an attack in the U.S. within the next 90 days. Aviv believes the plan is to attack not one big city, like New York, but half-a-dozen smaller ones, including towns in the heartland.

The host asked Tancredo, "Worst case scenario, if they do have these nukes inside the border, what would our response be?"

The congressman replied: "There are things you could threaten to do before something like that happens, and then you have to do afterwards, that are quite draconian."

"Well," Tancredo continued, "what if you said something like, 'If this happens in the United States and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims, you could take out their holy sites.'"

Campbell: "You're talking about bombing Mecca?"

Tancredo: "Yeah. What if you said, we recognize that this is the ultimate threat to the United States, therefore this is the ultimate response."

The congressman quickly added, "I don't know, I'm just throwing out some ideas, because it seems that at that point in time you would be talking about taking the most draconian measures you could imagine. Because other than that, all you could do is tighten up internally."

The comments heartened some readers of Free Republic, the conservative online news forum, including one who said, "Rep. Tancredo is taking off the gloves on the Islamofacists! Yee ha!"

Others, however, reflected the sentiment of another poster, who said, "Tancredo is racing to the edge of the lunatic fringe."

The Northeast Intelligence Network, which posted a soundbite from the congressman's interview on its website, praised the remarks, saying the group "applauds Representative Tancredo for all of his anti-terrorism efforts to keep our country safe. We also applaud Mr. Campbell for asking the tough but necessary questions – AND getting the answers."

But Adams insisted the comments were made in the context of an interview that led Tancredo down a hypothetical path and asked, "In the wake of a nuclear holocaust, what sort of things would be said?"

"In the past several weeks, we've had a lot of staff discussions triggered by [WND's] al-Qaida nuclear weapons article," he said. "We are reserving judgment about the merits of it. But one of the questions that has bothered [Tancredo] is how do you prevent terrorist attacks short of searching everybody? Even then, you wouldn't get it right 100 percent of the time."

The difficulty for the U.S., Adams said, is, "How do you evolve from a cold war paradigm – mutually assured destruction – to one where al-Qaida mingles in the public and emerges only as an attack is taking place?"

The Soviet Union's pressure point was the fear that one of their cities would be destroyed, Adams said, "But what are the pressure points of terrorists, of people who only look to the next world – short of a police state?"

Adams said the remarks also need to be heard in the context of Tancredo's style.

"One of his vices and virtues is he is a free thinker and is willing to speak his mind," the spokesman said. "Sometimes he says things in not the most artful way; but if you take him as, unfortunately, one of the few free thinkers on Capitol Hill, you'll get where he is coming from."
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/

Exclusive: US Representative Tom Tancredo in Response to U.S. Nuke Threat:
    We Could Nuke Mecca

15 July 2005: He is a no-nonsense House Representative from Colorado, a staunch critic of the federal government's lax immigration and border enforcement policies, and one who recognizes the clear and present threat posed by Islamic terrorists inside the United States. In an exclusive interview today with Pat Campbell, host of AM 540 WFLA said yesterday he would request a briefing from the Justice Department on information it has on plans revealed by WND this week for a nuclear attack on the U.S. by al-Qaeda. Responding to a question by Mr. Campbell about our possible response to such a threat, Representative Tancredo said that there are things that could be done to pre-empt a threat, and in response to an attack as well. One response would be to take out one of their holy cities with a nuclear bomb if it was clearly proven Islamic terrorists were behind such an attack.

Through the courtesy of AM 540 WFLA and Mr. Patrick Campbell, the Northeast Intelligence Network is offering the audio excerpt from this interview. Click on the link below to download the MP3 audio and listen from your computer. The Northeast Intelligence Network applauds Representative Tancredo for all of his anti-terrorism efforts to keep our country safe. We also applaud Mr. Campbell for asking the tough but necessary questions - AND getting the answers.

SOUND FILE http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/Tancredo.mp3
    "The defense of a nation begins at it's borders" Tancredo

I heard this replayed on the radio and I nearly drove off the road. Tancredo is a nut case. Looney tunes.

It's a shame because we really needed him.

It is a pretty heavy duty statement. Ah well, does not mean he is wrong on everything. His credability does suffer from such a statement which I am sure he wishes he had thought thru a little better. I know I wish he had.

On the other hand, not that I agree with his idea.. but I imagine it might undermine their entire faith a great deal if Allah permitted such a thing to happen. Many people of that part of the world DO take such things as signs from Allah. I would say that one would want to determine which COUNTRY was responsable before making such a snap decision on it though. I would not want to do that if Saudi Arabia was not directly involved. As far as nailing a holy site.. I cannot think of any city you could nuke without destroying a few mosques, churches, schools, hospitals, retirement homes, orphanages, etc...

When it comes to dropping a nuke, some things are beyond being much of an issue anymore. I am kinda on the fence considering this scenario means we have already had one of our cities nuked.. and I really cannot say how I would feel until that actually happened. Thats probably what he should have said too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchdog
    I heard this replayed on the radio and I nearly drove off the road. Tancredo is a nut case. Looney tunes.

It's a shame because we really needed him.
    Cong. Tancredo never advocated a nuclear attack on Mecca during the interview. He mentioned "tak[ing] out their holy sites." He said "[y]eah" to a follow-up question clarifying whether he was "talking about bombing Mecca." You could bomb Mecca with conventional weapons. You could take out holy sites with conventional weapons. The host had given Cong. Tancredo a hypothetical situation of Islamic terrorists exploding nuclear devices in six (6), seven (7) or eight ( U.S. cities. If such an attack upon the United States seemed imminent, I would not have a problem with a threat being made by the president to use conventional weapons against Mecca if that attack occurred. Further, if that hypothetical did occur and millions upon millions of Americans were dead, I certainly would not have a problem with attacking Mecca with conventional weapons if such a threat had been given.

Speaking as one who has lived in those Islamic nations....it's hard for me not to say what I really really think about this threat to our nation from Islamic terrorists....but my post would be taken down in a heartbeat.

Go LIVE there for 5 or more years...and we'll talk.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones