Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Officers issue 374 tickets in Escondido

Officers issue 374 tickets in Escondido

By: North County Times
    January 12, 2007

ESCONDIDO ---- Forty officers from around San Diego County wrote 374 tickets during a half-day traffic enforcement operation this week in Escondido, police said Thursday.

The Countywide Integrated Traffic Enforcement detail also impounded 42 vehicles Wednesday driven by people who had suspended driver's licenses or weren't licensed to drive at all, said Escondido Officer Dave Zacchilli.

"Fifty percent (of the tickets) were for speed," Zacchilli said. The rest were issued for such violations as failure to have current registration or wear seat belts, he said.

The operation was conducted through the North County Law Enforcement Traffic Safety Council, which participates in similar sweeps once a month in a different city in the county.

The latest one in Escondido included 30 motorcycle officers and 10 officers in patrol cars from the Escondido, Carlsbad, San Diego, El Cajon, La Mesa, Chula Vista and National City police departments, as well as sheriff's deputies.

A California Highway Patrol plane helped officers ticket speeders on the Interstate 15 corridor of the city during the operation, Zacchilli said.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... _11_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Excellent Results wrote on January 11, 2007 11:01 PM:"Looks like our fine officers hit paydirt. Those are awesomely impressive stats for only a half-day's worth of work. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, Escondido is a hotbed for law-breaking irresponsible drivers, and authorities need to stay consistent with this selective enforcement. Way too many UNINSURED cars in that town, and way too many UNLICENSED drivers, as well! Let's keep rounding them up and maybe dispose of their cars in the car crusher instead of impounding them!"

BK in Escondido wrote on January 11, 2007 11:06 PM:"Wonderful! I am absolutely elated. My thanks goes out to all police officers and personnel involved. Please try to continue this type of operation as often as possible to rid the streets of people driving vehicles that shouldn't be behind the wheel. They are a menace to all law abiding citizens. Too bad that the people who have their vehicles impounded will have the opportunity to get them back. If they are illegal aliens, they should NOT be able to retrieve the vehicle at a later date. "

kb wrote on January 12, 2007 6:33 AM:"no kidding, I think some cops should hang out around the swap meet area on the weekends as well, im sure they would find more unlicensed drivers."

Ridgerunner wrote on January 12, 2007 7:41 AM:"As the victim of a hit and run on Grand Avenue a few years ago, I am thankful that Escondido received the focus. Great job, boys! Like shooting fish in a barrel, huh? We need that kind of coverage on a more consistent basis in order to put the brakes on this runaway train of unlicensed and uninsured drivers in Escondido. Let's hope, for our safety, that the ACLU doesn't come up with some flim-flam to attempt to classify THESE law breakers as an ethnic group whose civil rights are being violated."

AResident
    wrote on January 12, 2007 8:37 AM:"That's great numbers. But, not enough. You haven't even scratched the surface of what goes on the streets of Escondido every day. It's time to get out there all day starting at 6AM. This is when you find a great deal of violations also. Please step up the patrols to acouple times a week as well as weekends. It's time to also check the ID's before allowing any cars to be given back. Raise the impound fees............."

bryan wrote on January 12, 2007 8:49 AM:"Great work this should be done every day. Escondido has the highest rates of hit and run auto accidents in california. Keep up great work. This is just about the only good news I've heard from escondido in quite some time."

Ken wrote on January 12, 2007 9:31 AM:"I want to thank all of the law enforcement officers for doing a wonderful. I only hope that they will continue doing this on a regular bases, to keep those that are breaking the law off our streets."

US Citizen wrote on January 12, 2007 10:46 AM:"Thank you EPD for your efforts to make Escondido a safer place."

Pete Nice wrote on January 12, 2007 11:19 AM:"Good job to all of the officers who participated in this sting. Keep up the good work & keep up those good numbers!"

God Bless the Cops! wrote on January 12, 2007 4:31 PM:""Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Romans 13 "

impressive numbers Skip thanks for thr story, I will pass it on
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)