Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Ohio Gov, tells Bush" NO" not here

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /702150364

COLUMBUS - Gov. Ted Strickland on Wednesday had a message for President Bush: any plan to relocate thousands of refugees uprooted by the Iraq war to the U.S. shouldn't include Ohio.
    The Bush administration plans to allow about 7,000 Iraqi refugees to settle in the United States over the next year, a huge expansion at a time of mounting international pressure to help millions who have fled their homes in the nearly four-year-old war. The United States has allowed only 463 Iraq refugees into the country since the war began in 2003, even though some 3.8 million have been uprooted. Strickland, a Democrat who opposed the war as a U.S. House member, said Ohioans cannot be expected to have open arms for Iraqis displaced by the war. More than 100 Ohioans have been killed since the war began.
    "I think Ohio and Ohioans have contributed a lot to Iraq in terms of blood, sweat and too many tears," Strickland said. "I am sympathetic to the plight of the innocent Iraqi people who have fled that country. However, I would not want to ask Ohioans to accept a greater burden than they already have borne for the Bush administration's failed policies."
    The decision to allow about 7,000 Iraqis to come to the United States answers mounting political and diplomatic pressure on the administration to do more to remedy the consequences of a war it largely started. Only 202 Iraqis were allowed in last year.
    The administration also said it will immediately contribute $18 million for a worldwide resettlement and relief program.
    The United Nations has asked for $60 million from nations around the world.
    The U.S. has a responsibility to help Iraqis who face danger in their own country for helping Americans topple Saddam Hussein's government, said Abid Al-Marayati, a professor of government at the University of Toledo who left Iraq in 1958.
    "It's not a question of whether we should accept them or not. These people served the U.S. forces," Al-Marayati said. "I think for our country, we could absorb that (number of refugees) quite easily."
    While Ohio's economy is struggling, the refugees would take whatever work was available, Al-Marayati said.
    "I feel bad for those people. They cannot live in Iraq anymore," he said.
    The U.S. proposal also includes plans to offer special treatment for Iraqis still in their country whose cooperation with the U.S. puts them at risk.
    Expanding visa programs for those Iraqis would require legislation in Congress, State Department Undersecretary Paula J. Dobriansky said Wednesday.
    Some 2 million Iraqis have left their country, and an additional 1.8 million are believed to have relocated inside Iraq.
    The refugee flow has increased sharply as sectarian violence has increased over the past year.
    The numbers have overwhelmed the hospitality of Arab neighbors such as Syria and Jordan.
    The United Nations says most of those who have been uprooted have no desire to come to the United States, and want to return to their homes in Iraq when fighting stops.
    But allies, U.N. diplomats and lawmakers of both parties have recently told the administration that the small number of Iraqis the U.S. has allowed in looks miserly.
    Syria has taken in an estimated 1 million Iraqis. It was the last Arab country to take in large numbers

I think we should tell Bush any refugees he decides to take in should be supported on his dam ranch!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    I think we should tell Bush any refugees he decides to take in should be supported on his dam ranch!
    lmao hes got room let him feed them, cloth them, teach them english,

My better half reminded me of the stories long ago about how Iraq's people where dancing in the streets when the towers fell.
    I dont think they want to make a home here

Its too bad one of us can't give boosh our point of view face to face. I'd rather spit on his face rather than converse with it.

But allies, U.N. diplomats and lawmakers of both parties have recently told the administration that the small number of Iraqis the U.S. has allowed in looks miserly.
    I don't care how bad it looks, just keep them out.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Being born and raised in Southern Ohio, Ted never did a thing to help out my home town that was nicknamed "Little Chicago" during the 30's. Once, we had several manufacturing plants, but I do have to say, the Unions help make them shut down and leave.

But we do want to go back to Ohio to retire, it's cheaper to live there than in Ky.
    So, I'm glad he made this statement!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Once, we had several manufacturing plants, but I do have to say, the Unions help make them shut down and leave.
    They did? I guess we better get off the backs of these meat companies and leave the bank alone.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I agree send them down to the Bush ranch!! : :P

IDAHO OPS OUT!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH THOUGH!!

I know give them to Mexico, they can go to work for Hersey!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

nittygritty Wrote:
    nittygritty, you`ve read my mind.

I have a Brother in Ashland, Ohio who was furious when he heard about that.

moosetrack Wrote:
    Being born and raised in Southern Ohio,
    My guess is, Cincinatti (?)

loservillelabor,,,,,,,,, I missed the "Outdoor Power Equipment Expo" in Louisville last fall.
    ------------------------

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moosetracks
    Being born and raised in Southern Ohio, Ted never did a thing to help out my home town that was nicknamed "Little Chicago" during the 30's. Once, we had several manufacturing plants, but I do have to say, the Unions help make them shut down and leave.

But we do want to go back to Ohio to retire, it's cheaper to live there than in Ky.

the city Hamilton ?

Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN
    Quote Originally Posted by moosetracks

Ironton, Ohio

I love that small town, but it's a ghost town now...only a few stores open. There are no illegals there, no business. no nothing! Most of the buildings downtown are owned by an old man in Ky. He won't fix them up or sell them to the merchants...so they all shut down.

All the new businesses are right across the river in Ashland, Ky.

My husband's siblings live in Troy and Sidney Ohio....so our hearts are in Ohio.

the city Hamilton ?
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast