Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

One town at a time in PA

Plains, PA joining other towns banning illegal immigration The communities are following Hazleton’s controversial lead

The Citizens Voice
    BY ROBERT KALINOWSKI
    STAFF WRITER
    08/12/2006

Plains Township is the latest Luzerne County municipality looking to crack down on illegal immigration.

On Thursday, the township commissioners unanimously voted to allow the township solicitor to craft anti-illegal immigration legislation similar to a law passed in Hazleton, making their community the sixth in the county to tackle the controversial topic.

Hazleton’s law, the Illegal Immigration Relief Act, forbids landlords to rent to illegal immigrants, punishes employers who hire them, and makes English the city’s official language.

Ron Filippini, Plains Township’s commissioner chairman, said Plains’ law would be very similar to Hazleton’s, including the English-only provision, and the board is scheduled to vote on it Sept. 14.

“If Congress and the federal government isn’t going to do anything about it, we will,” Filippini said Friday.

Since Hazleton became the first municipality in the nation to adopt such a law, officials in two communities, Hazle Township and West Hazleton, have passed similar legislation and officials in Courtdale and Forty Forty have announced they are also proposing the legislation.

Other regional towns to consider tougher, local immigration laws include Frackville, McAdoo, Shenandoah and West Mahanoy Township, Schuylkill County; Nesquehoning, Carbon County; Sunbury, Northumberland County; Mount Pocono, Monroe County, according to published reports.

Filippini said there hasn’t been any problems with illegal immigration in the township, but the township wants to be ready. “If it’s happening up there (Hazleton), it will happen here,” he said.

The councilman said he’s a descendant of Polish and Italian immigrants who came to this country the legal way. He thinks that’s the least the country should ask from those who want to come here.

“Illegal immigrants are putting a strain on social and medical resources. They are a strain on the whole structure,” he said.

Commissioner Bridget O’Connor said she and the rest of the five-member board support the proposed law.

“I’m 100 percent for it,” O’Connor said. “It’s not that I don’t welcome anyone. I don’t want illegal immigrants here. I think every town has to take a hard look at it.”

At the board meeting Thursday night, Commissioner Joe Hoinski said he thinks “every town” should adopt a law similar to Hazleton’s.

Various civil rights groups have vowed to file lawsuits after Hazleton passed its law.

When asked about litigation, O’Connor said Solicitor Stephen Menn would have to comment in regard to that aspect. Menn could not immediately be reached Friday.

Various civil rights groups have vowed to file lawsuits after Hazleton passed its law.
    Ya know, these civil rights groups are going to be extremly busy if towns keep following suit to Hazlton's example.
    And I hope they lose each court battle.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

So far all talk. I believe that it's a big bluff to try and scare communities. Bring them on if that's what they want to do. If law suits are filled it will only anger the PA residents more.

Let the lawyers file their lawsuits, we'll keep them so busy they won't be able to chase any ambulances. Then we'll see where their priorities are!
    I live about 50 miles from Hazleton and I've heard that since the law passed many "For Rent" signs have appeared. What a coincidence! The law is working.
    Bush should be ashamed of himself for making local town leaders solve this problem.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Ya know, these civil rights groups are going to be extremly busy if towns keep following suit to Hazlton's example.
    Well, I hope that is EXACTLY what towns across America do, and I hope the illegal get the message loud and clear that we dont' want them here.

While we're at it, I'd like to get rid of pukes like the loser liberal that wrote this article here. Just unbelievable.
    http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060828/eviatar

Lou Dobbs does an excellent job of informing Americans, and I'd bet the folks in PA watch him

I would love to see towns people running through the streets, chasing the ACLU out of town....like one of those old black and white, Frankenstein movies!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!