Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Only 80,000 Illegals in North Carolina! A Future Glimpse!

A little story. Some food for thought...

2006 through 2008 were landmark years in illegal immigration reform. Birthright citizenship for illegals was eliminated (pissing many a Mexican off,) border walls/fencing went up, and the Federal Government finally got off of its butt, conducting a massive program of worksite enforcement across the country.

This scenario takes place in North Carolina (a microcosm of the rest of the USA.) 2006 saw 512,000 illegals living in North Carolina, 2007 saw 484,000, 2008 saw 412,000, 2009 saw 337,000, 2010 saw 226,000, and 2011 saw only 80,234. Aggressive worksite enforcement and constant ALIPAC campaigning saw illegals being deported from or voluntarily leaving North Carolina at a rapid pace, returning to their home countries with lots of tears and frowns. A victory for us!

But, was it a victory? While English once again reigned more or less supreme, small businesses within NC began dwindling. It was difficult for owners to find the appropriate numbers of able-bodied citizens and legal aliens to take the jobs that the illegals left behind. You see, the addiction of illegal labor was a drug as alluring and choking as heroin. Businesses became so desperate to hire workers that they paid higher than normal wages and benefits to attract American workers. This worked in the short run. Until about 2008, when they could no longer afford it.

Do we use prison day laborers? Do we employee high school kids full time? Do we make it a law for those in their 70's to work at least 20 to 30 hours per week in the restaurant/hospitality field? All desperate questions. Because the addiction ran stronger and thicker than anyone could imagine.

By 2011, the economy of NC (and the USA) was beginning to veer south. Big time. Very little new housing, and small companies going out of business all of the time. "WE NEED GUEST WORKER PROGRAMS!" became the cry of 2012. By 2014, millions of "legal" workers began appearing in NC, and across the country. They were supposed to stay for 3 years, with an option to stay 3 more, but by 2025, 74% of them were still here. And, more were on their way. The addiction was being fed, once again. Boy, it felt good. And the economy soared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ostrich Speaking Again:

I don't know the answer. While I'd love to see every illegal deported (trust me, they shouldn't be in this country...it would be good if they all left), I'm not sure if that's the answer. You see, under my scenario, I've seen into the future. As realistic or silly as it may be, there comes a point where, even if we quickly got rid of a bunch of illegals, at what point would we demand them back, either as legal guest workers, or some other such thing? The illegal employment addiction affects all of us...every job, every sector of the economy. I'm not into guest worker programs (I don't see them working...to me, they're just amnesty) but I wonder if some sort of middle ground can be reached. I don't think it's enough to blindly say that if we deported all of the illegals over the next 10 years, we would necessarily be better off. How do we wean ourselves off of this drug? This craving, which yearns to be fulfilled?

I sometimes wish I could go back to the years of watching baseball and football after work, in ignorant bliss of this subject. Sadly, I can't.

My solution is to secure the borders, start aggressive workplace enforcement, and seek an answer to my dilemma: "At what point do we stop deporting illegals, because it begins to cripple our economy?" In some industries we can do without them, but in others, I'm not so sure. I'm not a pessimist...I just don't know. How would you find appropriate numbers of legal workers to replace the illegals? That, to me, is the $64 billion question.

Joe

[quote]How would you find appropriate numbers of legal workers to replace the illegals? That, to me, is the $64 billion question.

Well, Ostrich, that should not be hard to answer. If companies keep outsourcing jobs to other countries the way they have been doing, there will be no need for workers, legal or illegal, in this country. The sad thing is that I have seen so many legal Americans here in NC lose their jobs to China and then they look for other jobs to replace the ones lost and guess what? THEY HAVE BEEN TAKEN BY ILLEGALS! The illegals come here for jobs, yes. But they also come here to suck up our welfare benefits and drain our healthcare system to the point of hospitals closing in record numbers. We have to stop this invasion now or the US as we have known it in the past is just that........the past. The next elections will show where Americans stand, we want an end to this immigration problem and the ruin of America!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

I agree that businesses are addicted to illegal immigrants just like junkies to smack. What I disagree with is that they are a necessary evil. With so many kids still dropping out of school, and those being displaced by textile closings, the fact that illegals hold one in three new jobs as well as one third of the construction jobs they are taking jobs away from citizens of North Carolina. If we did get rid of them I'm sure businesses would hate it but I say tough cookies. I already hate the fact that they cost the tax payers of this state over $70 million a year and I know we have the people to fill these jobs. Believe me, the baby boomers haven't stopped having children and neither have their children etc. etc. The myth that illegal immigrants are necessary because of the "aging" or the "better education" of Americans is a myth put out by pro-illegal groups.

Another addiction that our state as well as our nation has is for "new illegals". This group comes here without the essentials (clothing, shoes, cars etc.) and so when they first arrive and get jobs they are spending money like water. Once they have the essentials that spending dries up so you have to have a new crop come in.

Like any addiction it has to stop. Sure it won't be fun at first, but we did well before they came here and we'll do even better when they leave (if I'm lucky enough for that to ever happen).

Good Thoughts

I value your good thoughts. Keep them coming. While the scenario that I created may or may not be realistic (as I can't really see into the future) :P at least it stimulates some thought. This is better than the usual, "All illegals must be deported," which would be great, I think, except that this pickle we've gotten ourselves into is so complicated and interwoven into our culture and pocketbooks, that the answers aren't always black and white. I think the majority of us agree that illegals need to go; I'm just trying to make the point that, okay, assume you are able to do that. Well, what are the consequences, both short and long term, for the nation, if a vast majority were to be deported in 5 years? Or in 10 years? Or in 20 years? We can only speculate, but the speculation is worthy of discussion, because, for example, you can get rid of all of the heroin in our country, but still have millions crave it, and somehow find a way to get it here. The same is true of illegal, cheap labor.

I agree with you and you have a very valid point. What I beleive that first we have to get the number of illegals in this country under control. We need workplace enforcement so those that follow the law and only hire people legally here aren't put at a disadvantage because others don't follow the law. Then if we really do need workers to come here then let them do it legally. Also I am offended that they beleive that we should only "import" those from Mexico etc. or legalize those who are already here illegally. If we want to be fair we have to open the market to people from all over the world, including Europe. I beleive it's unfair to those that can't just "hop across the border" to only open the door to those who can, as well as those willing to break the law and come here illegally.

If every ILLEGAL was deported tomorrow why do you think industry would shut down? This country spent zillions of dollars fighting the cold war in defense of capitalism! Capitalism says that when you have a worker shortage then, the price of labor must go up, which it would if cheap labor from latinn America was not here. Does that mean the price of somme products would rise? Yes! But would a NC farmer let his crop rot or would he raise his wages to get the crop in the bin?

Those employing illegals are rotten americans and why should I pay taxes if they can hire illegals knowingly without any consequences? Then there are the costs of schools hospitals etc for the illegals and more crime, pollution etc.

The break in the dam starts as a trickle and now is a small river and the dam has almost burst........good for some and the rest?

If our economy and system of capitalism is dependent on illegals then it is flawed and doomed to fail. There must be pain to get the 'addiction' out of our system... and the only ones we have to blame are ourselves.

Companies and businesses shouldn't be supporting or employing illegals anyway... it's against the law... right?