Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Oppose S. 2433: Global Poverty Act of 2007

S. 2433: Global Poverty Act of 2007

A bill to require the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further the United States foreign policy objective of promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal of reducing by one-half the proportion of people worldwide, between 1990 and 2015, who live on less than $1 per day.
    Overview

Summary

Speeches
    Articles About This Bill

No articles are associated with this bill.

You can suggest an article for inclusion here.

Paste the web address (URL) of an article from a well-established publication below.

Only thoughtful news articles from established publications will be accepted. All submissions are approved by a moderator before appearing on this page.

Sponsor:
    Sen. Barack Obama [D-IL]show cosponsors (23)
    Cosponsors [as of 2008-07-06]
    Sen. Joseph Biden [D-DE]
    Sen. Jeff Bingaman [D-NM]
    Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    Sen. Sherrod Brown [D-OH]
    Sen. Maria Cantwell [D-WA]
    Sen. Robert Casey [D-PA]
    Sen. Susan Collins [R-ME]
    Sen. Christopher Dodd [D-CT]
    Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL]
    Sen. Russell Feingold [D-WI]
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D-CA]
    Sen. Charles Hagel [R-NE]
    Sen. Thomas Harkin [D-IA]
    Sen. Tim Johnson [D-SD]
    Sen. John Kerry [D-MA]
    Sen. Richard Lugar [R-IN]
    Sen. Robert Menéndez [D-NJ]
    Sen. Barbara Mikulski [D-MD]
    Sen. Patty Murray [D-WA]
    Sen. Charles Schumer [D-NY]
    Sen. Gordon Smith [R-OR]
    Sen. Olympia Snowe [R-ME]
    Sen. Ron Wyden [D-OR]

Cosponsorship information sometimes is out of date. Why?
    Bill Text:
    Summaries (CRS)
    Full Text
    Occurred: Introduced Dec 7, 2007
    Occurred: Scheduled for Debate Apr 24, 2008
    Not Yet Occurred: Voted on in Senate -
    Not Yet Occurred: Voted on in House -
    Not Yet Occurred: Signed by President -

This bill was considered in committee which has recommended it be considered by the Senate as a whole. Although it has been placed on a calendar of business, the order in which bills are considered and voted on is determined by the majority party leadership. Keep in mind that sometimes the text of one bill is incorporated into another bill, and in those cases the original bill, as it would appear here, would seem to be abandoned. [Last Updated: Jul 5, 2008]

Last Action:
    Apr 24, 2008: Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 718.
    Show All Related Votes
    Can you answer any of these questions posed by other users? Think of it as a civic good deed. You can submit a short question too.
    Enter your question. Tips: Be clear and precise. Don't ask about the status of this bill or when it will be voted on (other users are not likely to know). Don't ask a loaded question either: It will be rejected.
    After submitting your question it will be reviewed, and if approved will appear here.
    Jul 7, 2008 4:07 PM - CBO says this bill would cost less than $1mm/year to implement and there is no adverse effect to state, local gov'ts. Right wing blogs claim it will cost taxpayers $845 billion between now and 2015. What is the truth? - Read Answers
    Answered by a visitor on Jul 16, 2008 7:55 PM - This is to fund the United Nations Millennium plan for global poverty. Our share would be .7% of our Gross National Product. This is where the $845 billion price tag comes from.
    Add another answer.
    Answer This Question

Tips: No one-word answers! Reference the text of the bill when possible --- answers with unsourced facts may be rejected. Don't be inflammatory --- it will be edited out! Don't use abbreviations, but stay concise and on-point.
    Jul 7, 2008 4:31 PM - Is any other country considering a similar bill?? - Answer it!
    Add another answer.
    Answer This Question

Tips: No one-word answers! Reference the text of the bill when possible --- answers with unsourced facts may be rejected. Don't be inflammatory --- it will be edited out! Don't use abbreviations, but stay concise and on-point.
    Committee Assignments

This bill is in the first stage of the legislative process where the bill is considered in committee and may undergo significant changes in markup sessions. The bill has been referred to the following committees:
    Senate Foreign Relations
    Reports

CBO Report: A budget report is available for this bill from the Congressional Budget Office, which serves Congress.

Based on information from the State Department, CBO estimates that implementing S. 2433 would cost less than $1 million per year, assuming the availability of appropriated funds. Enacting the bill would not affect direct spending or receipts.
    Related Legislation
    See Also

Below are related bills identified by Library of Congress staff:
    H.R. 1302: Global Poverty Act of 2007Passed House
    Other Bills with the Same Title

The list below shows legislation in this and previous sessions of Congress that had the same title as this bill. Often bills are incorporated into other omnibus bills, and you may be able to track the status of provisions of this bill by looking for an omnibus bill below. Note that bills may have multiple titles.
    109th Congress: H.R. 3605Dead
    110th Congress: H.R. 1302Passed House
    Crowd-Sourcing

Users tracking this bill are also tracking...
    H.R. 1302: Global Poverty Act of 2007 (9 users)
    H.R. 3835: To restore the Constitution's checks and balances and protections against government... (4 users)
    S. 2191: Lieberman-Warner Climate Security Act of 2007 (4 users)
    H.R. 1955: Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007 (5 users)
    S. 1959: Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007 (4 users)
    Sen. Obama [D-IL] (5 users)
    Illegal aliens (3 users)
    Immigration (3 users)
    Subject Terms
    This bill is related to other bills in these subject areas as identified by the Congressional Research Service:
    AIDS (Disease)
    Business
    Child health
    Children
    Civil liberties
    Civil rights
    Congress

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-2433
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Below is the reply I received from my EVIL Senator:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear *********:

Thank you for writing me regarding the "Global Poverty Act of 2007" (S. 2433/H.R. 1302). I appreciate your thoughts on this legislation, and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Unfortunately, we disagree on this particular issue. While I appreciate knowing your views, I am a cosponsor of the bill because I strongly support a robust increase in the international affairs budget to help those in need around the world and promote economic growth and political stability. I believe that this bill will help to successfully achieve these goals.

Again, thank you for writing. While we do not necessarily see eye to eye on this particular topic, your thoughts and opinions are important to me, and I hope you will continue to write. If you have any further comments, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/. You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/inde ... nup.Signup.

Oppose S. 2433, Obama's Bill for Hundreds of Billions of Dollars of UN-inspired Foreign Aid Spending!

If you don’t want the Senate to approve Sen. Obama's S. 2433 to set in motion legislation to require the United States to spend hundreds of billions of dollars of new United Nations-inspired foreign aid spending by 2015, then please read on and send the editable email message below to your senators. Please act now! This bill could come up for a vote in the full Senate at any time after July 7th. The House has already passed its version of this bill (H.R. 1302) by a voice vote on September 25, 2007. ...

Read more and take action at:
    http://capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=11590351
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    Oppose S. 2433, Obama's Bill for Hundreds of Billions of Dollars of UN-inspired Foreign Aid Spending!

If you don’t want the Senate to approve Sen. Obama's S. 2433 to set in motion legislation to require the United States to spend hundreds of billions of dollars of new United Nations-inspired foreign aid spending by 2015, then please read on and send the editable email message below to your senators. Please act now! This bill could come up for a vote in the full Senate at any time after July 7th. The House has already passed its version of this bill (H.R. 1302) by a voice vote on September 25, 2007. ...

Read more and take action at:
    http://capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=11590351

Thanks zeezil. I'm going to keep bugging my EVIL Senator!

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    How BOUT a US ANTI Poverty Bill ... these fool's are destroying this Country by the DAY and driving us into bankruptcy as a Nation as well as Individuals

WHEN WILL THEY START SPENDING AMERICAN CITIZEN TAX DOLLARS ON AMERICAN CITIZENS? ESPECIALLY RIGHT NOW WHEN OUR FINANCIAL SYSTEM IS FALLING TO PIECES.