Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

April

The Original Thanksgiving Proclamation by George Washington

General Thanksgiving
    By the PRESIDENT of the United States Of America

A PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of the United States a DAY OF PUBLIC THANKSGIVING and PRAYER, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to eftablish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

NOW THEREFORE, I do recommend and assign THURSDAY, the TWENTY-SIXTH DAY of NOVEMBER next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the final and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed;-- for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish Constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted;-- for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge;-- and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also, that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions;-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our federal and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide allsovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness unto us); and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

GIVEN under my hand, at the city of New-York, the third day of October, in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and eighty-nine.

(signed) G. Washington

Source: The Massachusetts Sentinel, Wednesday, October 14, 1789

http://www.earlyamerica.com/earlyameric ... ginal.html

I'm thankful for the American Turkey that gave his/her very life for liberty, freedom, and the pursuit of good turkey gravy! Hail to thee O' majestic bird of November America chose the Bald Eagle as our symbol of freedom, when you American Turkey are so tasty! So my fellow Americans when you look to the skies at the symbol of freedom, Please remember that other great American bird that gave they're very lives for you. American Turkey I Love Yee!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thank you for posting this April.

Such eloquent words.

Have read a lot about George Washington. Consequently he has become one of my heroes.

What would he, and the Founders, say if they could see what has become of our federal government?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    Quotations: Happy Thanksgiving

Related Quotes Gratitude Family Food Autumn Prayer Home

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer

If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice. ~Meister Eckhart

Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude. ~E.P. Powell

So once in every year we throng
    Upon a day apart,
    To praise the Lord with feast and song
    In thankfulness of heart.
    ~Arthur Guiterman, The First Thanksgiving

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Remember God's bounty in the year. String the pearls of His favor. Hide the dark parts, except so far as they are breaking out in light! Give this one day to thanks, to joy, to gratitude! ~Henry Ward Beecher

Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow. ~Edward Sandford Martin

Our rural ancestors, with little blest,
    Patient of labour when the end was rest,
    Indulged the day that housed their annual grain,
    With feasts, and off'rings, and a thankful strain.
    ~Alexander Pope

What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving? ~Erma Bombeck, "No One Diets on Thanksgiving," 26 November 1981

Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action. ~W.J. Cameron

He who thanks but with the lips
    Thanks but in part;
    The full, the true Thanksgiving
    Comes from the heart.
    ~J.A. Shedd

Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day. ~Robert Caspar Lintner

For each new morning with its light,
    For rest and shelter of the night,
    For health and food, for love and friends,
    For everything Thy goodness sends.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence. ~Erma Bombeck

For flowers that bloom about our feet;
    For tender grass, so fresh, so sweet;
    For song of bird, and hum of bee;
    For all things fair we hear or see,
    Father in heaven, we thank Thee!
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day. ~Irv Kupcinet

Thou hast given so much to me,
    Give one thing more, - a grateful heart;
    Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
    As if Thy blessings had spare days,
    But such a heart whose pulse may be Thy praise.
    ~George Herbert

http://www.quotegarden.com/thanksgiving.html

April
    Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Thank you for posting this April.

Such eloquent words.

Have read a lot about George Washington. Consequently he has become one of my heroes.

What would he, and the Founders, say if they could see what has become of our federal government?
    You are welcome jean, it would be very sad for them to see what this has all come to, however they would be very proud of the activists fighting to save this country!

Thank you April! It is beautiful!

Ron Paul in 2011 "[...]no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a 'green card' with an asterisk should be issued[...]a much better option than deportation."

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOleDays
    Thank you April! It is beautiful!

You are welcome, have a wonderful Thanksgiving EVERYONE!

April
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Lovely, thanks Rat!