Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OUR VIEW: Immigrant was an asset to our city

Mod note: They've found an IA to lionize story here. Waders and a shovel might come in handy.

OUR VIEW: Immigrant was an asset to our city
    Give thanks today for Joaquin Paniagua
    August 06, 2011 3:49 PM
    WAYNE LAUGESEN
    For the editorial board

Give thanks for Joaquin Paniagua, a husband, father and local hero who was gunned down just after rushing to the aid of a victim who was wounded in a botched robbery.

On the violent four-murder night of July 27, Paniagua pulled up at an AutoZone to buy parts with a friend. Paniagua was a gifted mechanic. The moment he noticed a bloodied man lying on the ground near the store, he ran to give aid. Moments later, he took gunfire from the robber, who proceeded to take Paniagua’s friend hostage. The killer ordered Paniagua’s friend to drive him away, releasing the friend unharmed two miles away. The injured man survived.

Few men today, coming upon the scene of violence, would have the selfless courage to help a victim. Paniagua put the needs of a fellow human being, who was fighting for his life, ahead of his own safety and paid the ultimate price.

Our city was better for the presence of Paniagua, who lived and worked here in violation of civil law. He was an illegal immigrant. He needed to be here, to maximize the value of his skills in order to support his wife and three children in El Salvador. We needed him here, contributing to our economy by fixing old cars with honesty and precision.

“This guy was phenomenal,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member AmericanTreeFarmer's Avatar
    The reason that undocumented immigrants are illegal is not because a small proportion commit more crime than their citizen neighbors. It is because their presence is unfair job competition for citizens and the legal immigrants. The public services that they receive from us also cost the community more than they pay in taxes. No matter how the author of this piece feels he can not with awareness and good conscience force the people who have chosen to have the government prioritize on other things to instead pay the cost to them of the presence even of good people like Joaquin Paniagua.

An exceptional man, yes. A lawbreaker, yes. ALL illegals are criminals. Wish the press would stop sugarcoating the issue.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's a question of how many can we support as a nation, watched a fox special last night on the honor killing of the teenager in AZ some years back, the family as alleged by the report were mostly using welfare to live, the family from Iraq was here legally due to war.

The question is as America declines in quality of life, jobs, wealth, how many can we take in, everything in life requires moderation and yet our leaders appear to feel there is no limit to immigration.

I continue to be amazed by the ignorance of our leaders perhaps someday they will surprise me but I won't hold my breath.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

"This guy was phenomenal,â€

Paniagua may be more typical than atypical of Latin American illegal immigrants. Most are devoutly religious, trying to follow the teachings of Jesus.

Don't know if this is true or not, but it would have to be proven to me before I could believe this.

Unlike American citizens, they are almost never seen begging on sidewalks.

Heck no , they don't have to, our government gives them every thing they need, while our own people and veterans are the ones out on the side walks. This editor should be run out of town....maybe Mexico!