Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Part-Time Employee

I employ a hardworking, polite, dependable housecleaner and his female helper on a bi-weekly basis. He speaks broken English, appears to be of Spanish descent, and asks to be paid by check made out to "cash." There is a small possibility that he is in this country illegally, but I don't know where to start to find out except by asking him. I would prefer not to "scare him off" or offend him with such an emotionally-charged question - and simply have him find some other person in the community to work for illegally. He seems like the kind of person who would pursue the right course toward citizenship (or already be on it) if motivated. Can I get some recommendations here?

The Falcon

Ask him for his SS # for your records, JUST IN CASE YOU GET AUDITED.

And might I remind you, that by paying "cash," YOU are breaking the law!!!!

Are they insured? Have you asked why they do not have a business account? Why do they have you make a check out to cash? Ask them these questions.

These people come into your home and you pay them for a service and you are afraid of offending them? What if they become injured?

Then you state that -
    He seems like the kind of person who would pursue the right course toward citizenship (or already be on it) if motivated. Can I get some recommendations

If he is puruing the "right course" he would not be here illegally-you obviously have suspicions about that. How can one who is here illegally-if your suspicions are true- be pursuing the right course?

Why is this an emotionally charged question? If I hire anyone-regardless of their look or accent- I ask them if their employees have proper work papers-not only legally here to work but insurance etc.

Re: Part-Time Employee

Quote Originally Posted by falconrider
    I employ a hardworking, polite, dependable housecleaner and his female helper on a bi-weekly basis. He speaks broken English, appears to be of Spanish descent, and asks to be paid by check made out to "cash." There is a small possibility that he is in this country illegally, but I don't know where to start to find out except by asking him. I would prefer not to "scare him off" or offend him with such an emotionally-charged question - and simply have him find some other person in the community to work for illegally. He seems like the kind of person who would pursue the right course toward citizenship (or already be on it) if motivated. Can I get some recommendations here?

The Falcon
    HOW CAN YOU ALLOW STRANGERS INTO YOUR HOME AND TRUST THEM WITH YOUR LIFE AND PERSONAL BELONGINGS?

You shouldn't be afraid of "scaring him off".

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE AN ILLEGAL ALIEN COUPLE WORKING FOR YOU. IF THEY WERE LEGAL, THEY WOULD HAVE PROVIDED YOU WITH ID'S.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Part-Time Employee

Quote Originally Posted by falconrider

The Falcon
    If someone asked me to pay them by check made out to cash, I would not hire them period. Too many problems with this. Should they get hurt in your home, be assured they would have no problem suing you. Do I mention that you would also be in trouble with the IRS and the state for nonpayment of employee taxes?

I ask all potential employees for the SS card. All checks will have all taxes deducted from them. If the employee has problems with this, I don't hire them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

This OP is making a joke.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)