Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GFC

Pentagon considers sending troops to border

Pentagon considers sending troops to border

By Will Dunham 40 minutes ago

The Pentagon has begun drawing up plans to send troops and equipment to the U.S. border with Mexico, where hundreds of thousands of migrants enter the country illegally each year, a defense official said on Friday.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld discussed border issues at the Pentagon with his Mexican counterpart, Defense Minister Gen. Gerardo Clemente Ricardo Vega. Mexico and the United States share a 2,000-mile border.

"The U.S. and Mexican governments continue to work together to control the border and collaborate on these important efforts," said U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. J.D. Gordon, a Pentagon spokesman.

"This cooperation includes limited U.S. assistance with training, equipping and funding Mexico security forces so that they can better meet our shared challenges in protecting the border," he said.

Immigration has emerged as one of the top political issues of 2006. President George W. Bush will address the nation on immigration reform on Monday as the Senate renews debate on a bill to tighten border security and give an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants a way to legalize their status.

A defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue, said the Defense Department is exploring options for possible use of troops or military assets to help with border security.

Citing what some members called "an invasion" of illegal immigrants across the southern U.S. border, the House of Representatives voted 252-171 on Thursday to permit the Pentagon to assign forces to help in border protections.

Gordon noted that while the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency, under the Department of Homeland Security, is responsible for securing the U.S. borders with Mexico and Canada, the U.S. military performs a limited support role.

For example, military unmanned aerial vehicles have provided border surveillance.

He said any additional military role would be temporary until more civilian border agents could be recruited and trained.

Gordon noted that border security is a civilian law enforcement function. The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878, enacted during the post-Civil War reconstruction period, prohibits federal military personnel from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States.

However, National Guard troops come under the command of state governors, who can use them for purposes such as border security. The president also has the power to federalize these troops.

When I was in the army one of my duty stations was Ft Riley, KS.We sent soldiers to the borded back in probally 97 98.One of the companies in my battalion went,I was not part of that company so I did not see it for myself.When the guys can back they said it was a big joke.All they could do was watch and call in.They would see pick up trucks with armed men rideing across the border and all they could do was call the border patrol,who didnt respond because they were out gunned.Military on the border is not going to help if we tie there hands

I'm not buyin it, its perfect timing for his TV laughathon on Monday, and the vote coming up...

Quote Originally Posted by Sapperwes
    When I was in the army one of my duty stations was Ft Riley, KS.We sent soldiers to the borded back in probally 97 98.One of the companies in my battalion went,I was not part of that company so I did not see it for myself.When the guys can back they said it was a big joke.All they could do was watch and call in.They would see pick up trucks with armed men rideing across the border and all they could do was call the border patrol,who didnt respond because they were out gunned.Military on the border is not going to help if we tie there hands
    why don't you get yourself and a few other people who did that detail to talk about it with the press. the more this kind of word gets out the more people will demand that the military actually participates in rounding up illegal crossers.

this information is only good if it's shared as far and widely as is possible.

Like I said I wasnt one of the ones sent and I couldn't even begin to tell you where anyone from that post is now.Spent 7 years in army lots of faces and names I can't remember.My last duty station was in the 10th Mountian Div.I was one of the ones sent to Afganastan when the towers got hit.

Your right about this, this is nothing but a big joke. They won't let them do anything, they are not going to take the chance of anyone shooting a mexican. It is just going to big a big show and they will have no more power than the minutemen. If one of our troops is killed by drug dealers on the border because they tied their hands, you are going to see some angry americans.

"The U.S. and Mexican governments continue to work together to control the border and collaborate on these important efforts," said U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. J.D. Gordon, a Pentagon spokesman.

"This cooperation includes limited U.S. assistance with training, equipping and funding Mexico security forces so that they can better meet our shared challenges in protecting the border," he said.
    the American people have been paying for 'border security' and not getting anything in return. Why isn't Mexico 'funding' their own security?

what this amounts to is the United States is paying Mexico to invade our country

as for the Pentagon and Defense Department having control over the troops on the border, I'm not for that -- the states need to be in charge and send the feds the bill
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

I would be for the active duty to have control of the border.Instead of a demilitarized like korea we need a militarized zone that they would be allowed to operate in.At least in the vast open stretches

even from the pro amnesty proposal people side this is smart. Both sides dont need the influx that will happen with this senate bill on the table.

Woul love a minuteman (or) womans opinion here.

www,bighornmusic.com/bushton/
    AMERICAN WORKERS FIRST -- A RAID A DAY KEEPS THE ILLEGALS AWAY

Well, just to tell you all. The company i work for makes the UAV's that are patrolling the Southern Border and i think you would like to know that they are fully armed predators.

T
    Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast