I have come to realize that a lot of people's perception of the problem is based on the situation in their own state or community and that of friends or family.

I know mine is.

We are a little like the old poem about the blind men and the elephant - we all have an idea based on our 'part of the elephant'.

There was a post on here regarding the amount of monies the illegals pay in taxes on bogus SS# and the government just keeps it.

Now this very well could be true - as I don't know for sure - but here most of the illegals work on a contract labor basis. They do have bogus cards, but no money is ever withheld. AT the end of the year, a 1099 is sent to the government and to the employee and it is up to the employee to file and pay those taxes.

I have been told by some people, usually those who are pro illegal, that it isn't the case everywhere that contract labor can be handled that way. I totally won't argue since I really don't know.

I know in Texas and AZ, you can work contract labor that way.

So, the argument of how much taxes they pay - is not valid in all cases.

I do know the IRS is hitting my son up for taxes on some $6,000 a company showed via 1099 he had earned from them. He had worked for them at one time - but not at the time of the supposed earnings. He has asked the company for copies of cancelled checks, and asked the IRS to help him get this info - no one is answering. He just keeps getting dunned by the IRS. I just wonder if this might not be a case of a company allowing an illegal to use my son's ss# ???? Without a lawyer, he can't afford, I don't know how he can find out.