February 22, 2008

Dear __(Me)__,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your thoughts regarding the Security and Prosperity Partnership. Your views are important to me, and I appreciate hearing from you.

I believe it is important for the United States to continue working with Canada and Mexico on issues of mutual security including terrorism, narcotics and cross-border crime. I will continue to support these international efforts. However, I agree with you that this partnership should not be used in any manner that threatens the sovereignty of the United States.

Congress has not been presented with any proposals to create a North American Union with Mexico and Canada, or to develop a NAFTA Superhighway. Either proposal would require Congressional approval and would certainly be resoundingly defeated in both chambers. However, in the interest of making this position clear, I have cosponsored H.Con.Res.40, which would urge the United States to forbid the Security and Prosperity Partnership from implementing regulations that would create a North American Union with Mexico and Canada or creating a NAFTA Superhighway. This legislation is currently being considered by the Committee on Foreign Affairs and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, of which I am a member. If given the opportunity to act further on this or other related legislation, I will defend our nation's sovereignty.

Again, thank you for sharing your views about this important matter. I encourage you to check my website at www.house.gov/shuler for continued updates on my work, and please do not hesitate to contact me again about those issues that are important to you. It is an honor to serve you in the U.S. Congress.

Sincerely,

Rep. Heath Shuler

MEMBER OF CONGRESS