Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Pizza on food stamps

I just had to rant on this one

Having had a couple of buds

I was driving home from work the other day and I live in a high hispanic part of town

We have a Pizza Padrone, a fast food pizza chain that takes pesos

Out in front was a big sign "WE TAKE EBT CARDS"

For the uninformed EBT cards are the new name for Food stamps

Now this really tweaked my cookie ..........................

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    I can understand, but if it is a "take and bake" pizza place, then the take and bake pizzas, the ones you have to bake at home, is no different than the ones you buy from the freezer section of the grocery store.

I have shopped in the grocery store, and happen to be there around the first, and unfortunately, you can tell who is using their own $$ versus taxpayer $$. Carts filled with junk food, frozen foods galore, snacks, sodas, pre-made non juice drinks, packaged cookies...you know, nothing good for them at all. This is more appalling than the take and bake pizzas....

Should they limit the foods people can get? Yes I think there should be some things that are just off limits. No sodas, no candy, no gum, and other stuff like that (say Hostess cupcakes, Twinkies....you know).
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Before I say anything...don't get me wrong. I am TOTALLY AGAINST illegals getting food stamp assistance. And I am generally against recipients buying junk food with food stamps....or food cards. That being said, there are reasons that people do this. Many recieving food cards are Americans who cant find work and need the cards through no fault of their own. They are so underpaid they have to live in one room with only a fridge and a microwave. What would you do? How are you suppose to cook a real dinner with those lousy resources? Many living here in SF are living in SRO's. Single Room Occupancy. It has a shower and that is down the hall. No kitchen. They can plug in a microwave if they can get their hands on one. They don't even have the resources to cook a meal. They are lucky to have a roof, let alone a kitchen. Dirt poor. And these are people WHO WORK!! So next time you see someone buy all frozen food on a food card, maybe you would like to lend them the use of your kichen.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

redpony, I agree with you, but in my area, it is unlikely someone is living in such quarters (on the outskirts of suburbs, and nothing less than the two bedroom, even the illegals sharing will have access to a kitchen). To be honest, I have seen some of these people drive away in newer vehicles than we have (clothing is newer as well). I have seen the few scattered homeless who come through, or have been living out in the wooded areas, and they do pick up things that can be easily reheated, and I can tell this is their only means to a warm meal.

The people we see are not only in better vehicles and clothes, but not starving either...is that judgemental, might be a bit, but considering what we have seen and putting two and two together, one could make an intelligent guess these people have a kitchen to cook in. Besides, we are not talking about someone who has a tiny freezer with minimal storage as they are buying a cart brimming over with frozen foods.

Redpony, for reference, I was a single mother about two decades ago, had to share a house with about 8 other people, shared a bedroom, no bigger than a closet with my daughter, but had access to a kitchen and could cook meals in it (and yes times were tough with no child support and had to get foodstamps). While I can sympathize with people living in those kinds of places, they are unheard of out in my area, and mainly are in downtown city locations, far from us, only about a handful of people I have seen who are homeless (we know where these few have been camping out at). My main theme in the idea of limitations issue is the pure junk food, cookies, candy, soda and such, not the frozen foods.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I know some people who buy carts of food with food stamps and then sell it sell it to others right out of their house.. This is usually how they end up with new cars.

ummm.....I think I'm in the wrong business.
    ------------------------

Re: Pizza on food stamps

Quote Originally Posted by Justthefacts
    I just had to rant on this one

Having had a couple of buds

I was driving home from work the other day and I live in a high hispanic part of town

We have a Pizza Padrone, a fast food pizza chain that takes pesos

Out in front was a big sign "WE TAKE EBT CARDS"

For the uninformed EBT cards are the new name for Food stamps

Now this really tweaked my cookie ..........................
    Just a small correction....the name is Pizza PATRON not Padrone. Patron meaning "boss". Funny you mentioned this Justthefacts. I drove past our local Pizza Patron just yesterday and I too saw that they now take EBT cards and my first thought was that of total disgust.

mk, I know around our complex, we get the illegals walking around selling food they have made, out of buckets. "Hello senora, you want to buy some queso?", (me) "no thanks, no bathtub cheese today, I have no medical insurance", to which they grin and nod their heads. The main foods offered is queso and tamales......

Have also had these guys walking around selling fruit and vegetables.

MK, a while back, my son was selling bottled water out of a wheeled ice chest to a road construction crew, and this one guy (legal immigrant) told him to keep in mind, considering where we lived, that "Mexican people" (quoting him) LOVE to have anything brought to them, convenience at the end of the day. My son never forgot, and opened this little "concession stand" in the front of our garage with chips, candy, cold sodas, popcorn (he pops it for them in the microwave).. So MK, keep that in mind. Get yourself a little food cart and go around with a little bell, you could probably make a nice income .

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanElizabeth
    I can understand, but if it is a "take and bake" pizza place, then the take and bake pizzas, the ones you have to bake at home, is no different than the ones you buy from the freezer section of the grocery store.

I have shopped in the grocery store, and happen to be there around the first, and unfortunately, you can tell who is using their own $$ versus taxpayer $$. Carts filled with junk food, frozen foods galore, snacks, sodas, pre-made non juice drinks, packaged cookies...you know, nothing good for them at all. This is more appalling than the take and bake pizzas....

Should they limit the foods people can get? Yes I think there should be some things that are just off limits. No sodas, no candy, no gum, and other stuff like that (say Hostess cupcakes, Twinkies....you know).
    Pizza Patron is not a "take and bake" like Papa Murphy's. Pizza Patron caters to hispanics, from seeing the flyers I get in the mail that are only in Spanish. They also accept pesos. They are the nastiest, greasiest pizza I have ever had, but I guess that's what I expect for $4 for a large pepperoni.
    Don't think about all the things you fear, just be glad you're here.

Pizza Patron is not a "take and bake" like Papa Murphy's. Pizza Patron caters to hispanics, from seeing the flyers I get in the mail that are only in Spanish. They also accept pesos. They are the nastiest, greasiest pizza I have ever had, but I guess that's what I expect for $4 for a large pepperoni.
    Will they deliver to Oklahoms for a 2 peso tip?
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    Will they deliver to Oklahoms for a 2 peso tip?

How about Tijuana

Kathyet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast