Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

A possible immigration solution

A possible immigration solution

Tracy Press / Tuesday, 18 September 2007
    A commentary by Mark J. Joyia.

Out of all those espousing opinions on immigration and its problems recently in the Tracy Press, no one offers any ideas for a solution. I would like to put forth some ideas that will stir up a healthy debate.

I firmly believe in the rule of law. We should be getting tougher on crime, not more lenient. Too many people want to be compassionate toward those who break the law. "Illegal" means illegal; there is no caveat to the meaning of that word. However, I do not think it is practical to round up 12 million-plus people who are in the U.S. illegally and boot them out of the country.

Here is what we should do. Secure and close the borders and the ports of entry. Build a wall. Use the military. Do whatever it takes. Place a moratorium on all immigration; let’s get our house in order before we let anyone else in. Honor any applications that are already in progress but set a cutoff date at which point the moratorium will take affect. Continue to give temporary visas during the moratorium, but only under the strictest guidelines and monitoring.

Overhaul the requirements and tests to become a U.S. citizen. Knowing U.S. history and the branches of government, along with their function, is important. But let’s face it — half the natural-born citizens of this country probably can’t pass that part of the test.

Here’s what should be required of people wanting to become a citizen. Learn our laws and promise to abide by them. Accept our culture and assimilate into our society. Learn and use the English language. Be of good moral character. Have the ability and desire to work. Be free of any criminal record in your home country. We already have enough criminals and rude, self-centered morons that were born here. We don’t need any coming in from a foreign country.

Once the entry requirements are changed and clarified, call on all illegal immigrants to come forward. Give them the promise of citizenship based on meeting the following criteria: Since entering the U.S., they and their children have not committed any felonies or any other serious crimes. They have not applied for welfare or abused social services in any way. They have worked for the better part of their time here. They will take and pass all the required tests for citizenship should be considered. The time allowed for this process should coincide with the moratorium. Any illegal immigrants who do not voluntarily come forward should be tracked down and immediately deported, children included. If the parents had them while under illegal status, the children are illegals. I know the law states otherwise, but that is, and always has been, ridiculous. Any illegal immigrants who are in jail or have criminal records should be immediately deported. Illegal immigrants should be given two chances to pass the citizenship test. If they fail twice, they should be immediately deported.

Prosecute anyone who gives sanctuary to illegal immigrants who do not come forward or who go back into hiding. Fine employers who knowingly hire illegal workers. The employers should also be required to not take punitive action against the illegal workers that come forward as long as they continue to do their jobs. If the employers didn’t hire them, there would be no reason for illegal immigrants to come here. I fault the employers more than I fault someone who wants to come here to have a better life.

Once this is all done, lift the moratorium but maintain strict border enforcement. This may take many years.

I am sure a lot of people will find my ideas unfair to immigrants who find themselves at the back of the citizenship line and have to wait, but what else can America do? Illegal immigrants who are in the U.S. and have worked hard, led good lives and raised good children deserve a chance to prove themselves worthy of citizenship. Make them earn it, and let them stay if they do.

• Mark J. Joyia, who has lived in Tracy for nearly four years, is owner of a used sports car dealership in Modesto.
    http://tracypress.com/content/view/11265/2244/

Good article I agree with most of the ideas except in allowing those who are here to stay. My plan would be to use a fence along with the military to seal the border, fine and jail employers of illegals and that will cause a reverse migration.

The idea of a moratorium on all immigration until we can solve our current problem is needed. As a Senior citizen I have seen the population in America double in my lifetime along with associated social problems. We never speak of population control but we need to address this soon if the quality of life in America is to be preserved.

Like or not more people=more crime=more laws=less freedom.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Yes- seal the borders, moratorium on all immigration, etc. However-no amnesty for ANYONE.

And yes we could round the 20-30 million illegals if we(government) wanted to. The government chooses not to.

We need to add a few amendments to the already existing immigration laws in order to further discourage illegal immigration:

1. ) A "SQUATTER'S" TAX OR FEE. Every illegal would be required to pay $100/month. This tax would be applied to city services such as hospitals, schools, law enforcement, etc.

2.) ID FRAUD FINES: Every illegal using fake SSN's, driver's licenses, etc. would be subject to a $1500 fine and/or imprisonment.

3.) REMITTANCE TAXES: Every illegal is to be taxed 15% on ALL remittances to ANY country outside of the US.

And of course we need to IMMEDIATELY deport ALL gangbangers and criminal felons.

We have to adapt a ZERO tolerance for illegal criminal behavior.

No Sanctuary cities.

And lastly, NO ENGLISH? - NO GREEN CARD OR CITIZENSHIP!

This article is a re-statement of existing law. It is enforcement that is lacking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nouveauxpoor
    This article is a re-statement of existing law. It is enforcement that is lacking.
    I kinda thought so to ...