Pres. Obama & Chamber of Commerce Meet Without Agreeing To More Foreign Workers -- THAT'S A VICTORY

By Roy Beck, Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 7:29 PM EST - posted on NumbersUSA

We were all holding our breaths when Pres. Obama told the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that there are a few areas where the two agree and can work together.

The fact is, they both want to dramatically increase the number of foreign workers to compete with our unemployed Americans. But the President didn't mention it. And neither did the Chamber.

Maybe we really are in a new era!

Back in 2007, the Chamber of Commerce listed as its No. 1 legislative priority the passing of an amnesty for illegal workers and increasing future legal foreign workers. Perhaps Pres. Obama really does realize that "comprehensive immigration reform" has no chance in this Congress and it isn't worth wasting his breath to talk about it even at the Chamber.

I love the challenge the President gave to those Chamber leaders:

But as we work with you to make America a better place to do business, I’m hoping that all of you are thinking what you can do for America.

Ask yourselves what you can do to hire more American workers, what you can do to support the American economy and invest in this nation.

That’s what I want to talk about today –- the responsibilities we all have -- the mutual responsibilities we have -- to secure the future that we all share.

I believe the corporate chieftans and the federal government DO have a mutual responsibility to create conditions to put millions more Americans back to work.

But the federal government is allowing 8 million illegal foreign workers to hold U.S. jobs.

The federal government every month issues 75,000 new permanent work permits to immigrants.

And it does that while 22 million Americans who want a full-time job can't find one.

Look in the mirror, Mr. President, and ask yourself what you can do to allow more American workers to get back on the job.

Call in congressional leaders, Mr. President, and ask them to put a mandatory verification bill on your desk before Easter.

ROY BECK is Founder & CEO of NumbersUSA

NumbersUSA's blogs are copyrighted and may be republished or reposted only if they are copied in their entirety, including this paragraph, and provide proper credit to NumbersUSA. NumbersUSA bears no responsibility for where our blogs may be republished or reposted.