Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Prisoners help farmers harvest crops.

I saw this on the news this morning and have felt all along that this is the way we needed to help our farmers instead of using illegals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/us/04 ... yt&emc=rss
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

By the way, this is Tom Tancredo's State!
    -- John Wayne</div>

This is a great program and should be in more states, there is no reason low risk inmates can not work in the fields!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WE NEED LOTS OF HELP HERE ALIPAC TEAM, PLEASE GET INVOLVED AND HELP OUT!! CHECK ALL THE LINKS BELOW AND PICK ONE OR MORE OF THE PROJECTS YOU CAN HELP WITH, !! WE HAVEN'T GOT OUR COUNTRY BACK YET

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    fedupinwaukegan needs help check out this link!!If you are anywhere near the conference great time to meet William from ALIPAC
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=73007
    ALIPAC needs donations to stay afloat and in the fight Please give what you can!!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=C ... page&pid=9
    NEW BLITZ....GET INVOLVED...PLEASE!!!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... 564#418564
    DIXIE NEEDS HELP ON A PROJECT FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS TIME!!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=73375
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

why is this so great? It's a win win. We get rid of Free Loading Illegal aliens AND we get rid of Free Loading Prisoners!

The prisoners get $9.00 an hour. The State takes $5.00 the prisoners get $4.00. They can send the money home or pay fines which mostly is the case and buy a few extras for themselves.
    The best thing was this morning a women prisoner was on the news saying that watching the crops grow and then harvesting them made them all feel good.
    She also said that this was the first honest job she ever had. Althought the work was hard it was very rewarding.
    Tired prisoners don't riot.

Paige
    -- John Wayne</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Paige
    The prisoners get $9.00 an hour. The State takes $5.00 the prisoners get $4.00. They can send the money home or pay fines which mostly is the case and buy a few extras for themselves.
    The best thing was this morning a women prisoner was on the news saying that watching the crops grow and then harvesting them made them all feel good.
    She also said that this was the first honest job she ever had. Althought the work was hard it was very rewarding.
    Tired prisoners don't riot.

Paige
    I agree. I did some time in a pokey once my self (not prison, bogus muncipal charges... but thats another day). I know that there are many that are just raised in a way that makes them feel they need to committ crimes, also there are many that have changed but need to continue serving their time. There is nothing like giving someone a chance to earn a small income while paying their debt to society.

I heard this on the news, too, and I say Bravo! Someone with a real brain made up a good plan and took decisive action to make this happen.

I hope it gets spread all throughout America.

This is still subsidized labor. It postpones the need for major changes in how farming is done. Dont kid yourself either, this subsidy goes to agribusiness as well

The positive, Colorado farmers to a large extent seem to be complying with the new Colorado laws. If they can the trades can to.
    AMERICAN WORKERS FIRST -- A RAID A DAY KEEPS THE ILLEGALS AWAY

MW
    Jrhino wrote:

This is still subsidized labor. It postpones the need for major changes in how farming is done. Dont kid yourself either, this subsidy goes to agribusiness as well
    Please explain, how is this subsidized labor? Colorado taxpayers are already paying for these prisoners lodging, food, healthcare, clothing, etc. The money the state receives from allowing the farmers to employ the criminals reduces the actual cost to taxpayers for housing these prisoners. It also gives the criminals the opportunity to work outdoors (better than sitting in a cell all day) and make a few bucks.

Furthermore, I'm sure many of these prisoners are uneducated and non-skilled. Couldn't this be a possible pipeline for future farm laborers, assuming some of them are American citizens ?

Personally, I see this as a win-win for everyone - the farmers win, the state taxpayers win, and the prisoners win. What's not to like about this program? If you think it's rough on the prisoners, all I can say is - do the crime, do the time. Additionally, I don't think the judge promised these prisoners a "rose garden" when he sentenced them for their crime.

Do we know if this is a voluteer program for the prisoners? If it is, those against the program are left without an argument.

The taxpayer is not subsidizing the farmers because they are actually paying $9.00 an hour per prisoner. The only drawback I see with the program is it's still cheap labor (not subsidized labor) for the farmer because he isn't forced to pay healthcare, transportation, and lodging for the prisoners. Farmers participating in the H-2A program are required to provide those items to their foreign labor force.

If this program takes root and expands from state to state, there would never be an argument for programs like the AgJOBS program Sen. Feinsteins & Sen. Craig are attempting to push through.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think this is a great idea. Even the guards get a break from prison and get out to enjoy the great outdoors.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast