Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

PROFILE of Sen. BARACK OBAMA - CFR

http://www.cfr.org/publication/9138/

U.S. Senate

November 1, 2005
    Council on Foreign Relations
    The Washington Club
    Washington, DC

This transcript is a record of a meeting held as part of the Campaign 2008 research project.

-----------------------------------------------------

Audio

Council on Foreign Relations
    Washington, DC

STEPHEN BIEGUN: Good morning. If I could ask everybody to take their seat. Good morning. My name is Steve Biegun. I'm a vice president with Ford Motor Company. And it's my pleasure today, on behalf of the Council on Foreign Relations, to introduce our two speakers, Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana, and Senator Barack Obama of Illinois.

Senators Lugar and Obama are here today to discuss "Challenges Ahead For Cooperative Threat Reduction." As most of you in the audience are well aware, Cooperative Threat Reduction is the more technical name for the Nunn-Lugar program. The Nunn-Lugar program was passed into law 15 years ago through the efforts of Senator Lugar and Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia, the former chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Over that 15 years, the program has worked, sometimes in fits and starts, to control, secure, and to dismantle some of the most dangerous weapons in the world that are stockpiled in the former Soviet Union. I say "in fits and starts" because the program has had to endure politics, Cold War legacy, frugal funding, and yet it has endured. And as we all know in Washington, endurance is the ultimate test of a good idea, and it is a test that the Nunn-Lugar program has passed with flying colors.

Senators Lugar and Obama today will be discussing two things. Senator Obama will discuss a recent trip he and Senator Lugar took to the region to look at progress in implementing Cooperative Threat Reduction Programs. And Senator Lugar will be laying out some ideas for the way forward for some additional opportunities for the United States to increase our own security and that of other countries around the world.

Before I introduce Senator Obama for his remarks, I'd like to make a few reminders to the audience on behalf of the Council on Foreign Relations. First, I ask you at this point to please be sure to turn off all cell phones and wireless devices. Second, I'd like to remind the audience that unlike most council events, this one is on the record, so all questions and remarks will be on the record. And finally, we intend to end promptly at 9:30 to allow the senators to get to the Hill. And with that, I would ask that everybody stay in their seats and stay here until the end of the program to avoid disruptions.

Senator Obama. Senator Obama came to the United States Senate this year, I think as is well-known to all of you. Prior to coming to the Senate, he had a career that was dedicated to public service as a civil rights attorney, as a community organizer, and as a leading member of the Illinois State Senate. During his 2004 campaign, Senator Obama placed special priority on aggressive efforts by the United States to control and secure and dismantle the dangerous weapons of mass destruction that still are stockpiled across the Soviet Union. Upon being sworn into office in 2005, Senator Obama earned a position on the prestigious Senate Foreign Relations Committee, where he's had an opportunity to give meaning to the commitments he made on the campaign trail.

Senator Obama, with Senator Lugar, in August of this year visited Russia, Azerbaijan, and Ukraine to firsthand take a look at what possibilities exist to not only improve the implementation of the current Cooperative Threat Reduction Programs, but also expand them and move them forward more aggressively.

So with that, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce Senator Barack Obama. (Applause.

-----------------------------------------------------
    http://www.cfr.org/publication/9138/

So with that, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce Senator Barack Obama. (Applause.
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I agree with you Rock, I just wanted to post that he is really a CFR member despite the denail of a lot of his voters.

The nation will not be fooled again. We are wide awake and will vote for patriots!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

said Jo Biden: he is articulate and clean cut.....

but what does he stand for?... besides "I never voted for the war"...
    No soy de los que se dicen 'la raza'... Am not one of those racists of "The Race"

This link talks about CFR and the candidates

http://www.criticalreactor.com/2007/07/ ... andidates/

All of the Candidates are CFR members with the exception of Tom Tancredo and Ron Paul.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    All of the Candidates are CFR members with the exception of Tom Tancredo and Ron Paul.
    I think Duncan Hunter too?
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BorderLegionnaire
    Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    I think Duncan Hunter too?
    I Stand corrected. He does support the Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)