Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Proudly Display The American Flag

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/op ... 39,00.html

I am sorry to say this, but I had no idea it was Flag Day. It seems like our holidays are getting less remembered as time goes on.

Editorial: Proudly display flag
    June 14, 2005

Today is Flag Day, the perfect time for Ventura County residents to display pride in the United States by flying Old Glory.

For those unfamiliar with the history of the Stars and Stripes, it was first approved by the Continental Congress on June 14, 1777. The colors of the flag hold a symbolic meaning -- red symbolizes hardiness and valor; white symbolizes purity and innocence; and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.

Unfortunately, Flag Day, which celebrates the creation of the U.S. flag, is sandwiched between two major holidays -- Memorial Day and the Fourth of July -- and receives scant attention. The exception was 2002, when, overcome with a newfound sense of pride and patriotism following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, flags began popping up on front porches, cars and in office windows. Flag Day events were planned and parades were held that year.

Americans were clearly saying: We love our country. Sadly, the displaying of the flag has begun to fade the last few years.

Now, the question is: How do we get that feeling back? A good way to start is by celebrating the 228th anniversary of Old Glory today. Put up a flag if you do not already have one flying. Go to a Flag Day event if you can find one. Recite the Pledge of Allegiance -- it's a clear message of what our nation is all about.

And, importantly, remember Francis Scott Key; remember the flag being raised on Iwo Jima; remember the astronauts planting the flag on the moon; remember our brave troops in Iraq; and remember how you felt Sept. 11.

We urge all Americans to proudly fly Old Glory on Flag Day.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I fly one every day. On Patriotic holidays ie 4th of July, Flag Day Veterans day etc I do two.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I waited until this morning to fly my brand new American flag for the first time on the porch of my brand new American home. I had considered waiting until July 4th, but decided my neighborhood could use the bit of spiffying up and color that the Red, White, and Blue could offer.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Wow, Rarius. You must feel great. I'm happy for you, and also I'd like to say thank you. You made a good decision.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Every day is flag day at our house.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Would it be wrong to hang it upside down as a sign of distress that our country is in?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    Would it be wrong to hang it upside down as a sign of distress that our country is in?

yes it would be wrong at this time.

I was a boy scout, never went into the military because they wouldn’t let me in for having a bad eye. Anyways, we were taught that if you are in distress, then you should fly the flag upside down. Charles, please tell me why it is wrong at this time. I am not trying to debate it, just wanted to know your reason and if memory serves me right you were in the military so I respect your response.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

A American flag flying upside down is an order for any and all U.S. Military that happens to pass that way to stop and help.

to me as a vet it would be flown upside down if the dinks are in the wire and there ain't no hope. I am not at that point yet.

A American flag flying upside down is an order for any and all U.S. Military that happens to pass that way to stop and help.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I bet there are soem folks at the border that feel like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast