Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quick Question for the ALIPAC Board

I would like to call the Georgia senators (as well as others) and tell them that a proposed emergency funding bill (for border security) would be unconstitutional since all funds need to originate in the House and not the Senate.

But I am not sure if this is true.

Can anyone verify this for me?

That sounds like a GREAT idea Frustrated...but I think that rule only applies for tax legislation...=/

Can anyone clarify?

Call Congressman Tancredo's office or Duncan Hunter or Steve King. They can have their staff tell you accurately.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I just finished doing a little research on the matter and it seems that the Senate can originate & vote on an appropriations bill before the House gets a chance to vote on its own; however, it is unconstitutional for the senate to originate bills that "raise" revenue (which is slightly different from "appropriate").

So, the key question is whether such an emergency funding bill "raises" or "appropriates" funds for the purposes of border security.

Call Congressman Tancredo's office or Duncan Hunter or Steve King. They can have their staff tell you accurately.
    Good idea!