Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

RANCHO PENASQUITOS ANTI-ILLEGAL ALIEN ACTIVIST AQUITTED

Activist acquitted in fight with day laborers

By: TERI FIGUEROA - Staff writer

NORTH COUNTY TIMES
    September 26, 2007 5:04 PM PDT

A jury has aqcuitted an anti-illegal immigration activist accused of battery and hate crimes in a brawl with day laborers at a makeshift hiring site in Rancho Penasquitos last November.

John Matthew Monti, 36, was cleared on all charges, including three battery counts, three hate crime counts, and one count of filing a false police report.

The case highlighted seething tensions between anti-illegal immigration activists and day laborers who for more than a year have confronted one another at hiring sites in North County.

Each side blamed the other for starting the brawl that ended up in the middle of busy Rancho Pensaquitos Boulevard about 11 a.m. Nov. 19.

San Diego Deputy City Attorney Scott Pirrello told jurors during the trial that Monti started the fight when he allegedly grabbed one of the laborers and chased him into the street. Monti was at the site to photograph day laborers and people who hired them.

During the trial, day laborer Estanislao Gonzales testified that he didn't want his picture taken and tried to leave. He said the sweat shirt he was using to cover his face may have brushed against Monti as he passed him, and that Monti subsequently grabbed his right arm. Gonzales testified that he pulled away and ran, but Monti chased him into the street, knocked him down and beat him.

Monti then battled Gonzales' friends when they came to help, Pirrello said.

But Monti's attorney, Allison Aranda, argued that before the brawl, the day laborers had threatened Monti as he snapped photos, and that the fight started when one of them hit the Los Angeles area schoolteacher from behind.

"It is illogical to accept this theory that Mr. Monti started a fight with nine of them," Aranda said. "By himself?"

-- Contact staff writer Teri Figueroa at (760) 631-6624 or tfigueroa@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09 ... _26_07.txt

people see the truth...we see on youtube how violent some of these folks are like stepping on and burning the flag... for one
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Nice! I was wondering how they would make these charges stick when it was 9 on 1 !

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wonder if assault and battery will be charged against the illegals?

Hurray. Now ICE needs to DEPORT THOSE THUGS!!

THE COMMENTS : Before they get Deleted ! .....................
    The newspaper can not keep up with the Anti-Illegal sentiment from the Public as it conflicts with their agenda. They now often censor, edit, fail to post, or delete posts regarding illegal Immigration

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Big Richard wrote on Sep 26, 2007 5:24 PM:
    " Hmmmm... "

Texan wrote on Sep 26, 2007 5:31 PM:
    " I am so happy to hear that justice has been served in the John Monti case.NCT you owe appologies all around.Your bias in this case was so blatant ,where was true journalism? "

Carson wrote on Sep 26, 2007 5:43 PM:
    " Just when I have about lost all faith in America she comes through! "

Marguerite wrote on Sep 26, 2007 5:59 PM:
    " A kind man who tries to stop underage girls from being used in slave trade was falsely accused. Thank God he was vindicated so he can go back to teaching our children, and trying to protect others. "

Monti was the victim twice!! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:03 PM:
    " Monti was a VICTIM of the illegals and then a VICTIM of our sanctuary city and police department!! The detective (Lenhart) knew the truth that is why he never took one stitch of notes when he spoke with Monti. He knew Monti had been attacked that is why the day laborer was originally arrested by the good cop. Not wanting to take the time to prosecute the laborers because they would just disappear, the detective let him go. Of course after Monti filed a grand jury investigation against the police department for not protecting young girls from sex trafficking in the canyons of San Diego, he is charged!! Amazing!! Something is dirty in our police department and city attorney Mike Aguirre's office!! Very DIRTY!! "

Sensoring are we!! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:05 PM:
    " Why are my comments about NCT ommisions and lies not being printed?? "

Skip wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:05 PM:
    " Next time get the ACLU. They are just anti-American enough to have pullled off a conviction. Otherwise the 9 Illegal Aliens should now be promtly deported. I have no sympathy for them. "

Whowhy wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:08 PM:
    " Who is behind the extraordinary lengths taken to vilify a good citizen of the United States? It is another example of more race baiting from La Raza. It is good to see the truth come out. The politically correct elitists and illegal alien supporters have this country handcuffed. When will the public wake up? "

RG wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:11 PM:
    " I'm glad for the verdict. The minutemen are not hate-filled racists, they are frustrated because law enforcement does not do their jobs of enforcing illegal immigration laws. "

Will this be Front page or back!! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:13 PM:
    " Let me guess!! If he was found guilty it would be front but since he is innocent, back. Right?!! "

Cops use to be my heroes!! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:21 PM:
    " Seeing the downright manipulation of this case has definitely tarnished my view of police officers which saddens me!! I know there are good cops and one bad apple shouldn't spoil my view! Thank you to all the honest hardworking SDPD officers! I appreciate your work! "

Skip wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:22 PM:
    " Geeee...... That sounds a lot like Mr. John Matthew Monty, is NOT GUILTY! Time to deport the perpetrators. AT THE VERY LEAST THE LABORERS SHOULD BE BILLED FOR COURT AND TRIAL COSTS. "

Skip wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:23 PM:
    " Another way of interpreting this story is that the DAY LABORERS were LYING! "

Mike wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:31 PM:
    " Yeah for Monti! I am sure the illegals started it and the jury let them know. I have faith in the justice system once again. "

TO : Sensoring are we!! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:32 PM:
    " Please see this story : Two men arrested in connection with Bonsall rape, stabbings : Most media outlets are now calling these men Day laborers, Undocumented Immigrants, or Illegal Aliens. I kind of figure that if it were not for the NCT Censoring the posts that there would be over 75 Comments by now. http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09 ... _23_07.txt "

To: Texan wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:33 PM:
    " If you want to read a pro-illegal immigration paper, NCT is probably one of the leaders in the business. Article after article, and for good measure, they throw in a bogus poll every once in a while to support their opinion! "

Karl
    wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:33 PM:
    " The classic line is "It is illogical to accept this theory that Mr. Monti started a fight with nine of them,". If this is true that he alone was involved with nine individuals the case had absolutely no merit. I have not followed this case at all but he either did not confront nine indiduals on his own (they drew first blood), is a total nut job, or was carrying a weapon. Just my opinion. "

Same problem in Penasquitos wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:36 PM:
    " glad to hear justice was finally done. Monti wsa the victim you are totally right. This is another case of corruption in San Diego city. The mayor needs to be removed from office. Im sure most people don't know that Enrique Morones has a San Diego Police department press pass for his vehicle. This is total corruption. Mike Aguirre was right when he said the mayor needs to be removed from office. I live in penasquitos and i see day laborers all over the place. I have seen the prostitution that goes on down there as well. it is bad. The government does nothing and lets this go by. We all need to stand up and remove these day laborers and run them out. good job minutemen. Jeff shwilk has my full support "

Skip wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:37 PM:
    " Now my question is: who will be paying for the Court and Trial Costs. "

redbadger wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:38 PM:
    " people see the truth...we see on youtube how violent some of these folks are like stepping on and burning the flag... for one "

Why don't you print what was going on in the courtroom?? wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:41 PM:
    " Why don't you tell the public what happened in the courtroom? How about 1) not ONE of the illegals said they heard Monti say racial insults (the prosecuter said it) 2)one laborer who was originally arrested in the case finally admitted in court that he had a 2x4 and said he was going to split Monti's head open 3) numerous 911 calls saying Monti was being attacked 4)how about Monti's students, who are illegal testifying for him? Come on NCT, your omissions are blarring!! How about the courtroom talk about a woman from CRLA's part in the case. Where are they?? "

Our city is broke and they pursue false charges!! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:50 PM:
    " Wow! Can't believe the amount of money spent on this! This whole thing is so transparent!! Shame on you SD and all the biased reporting! What happened to just the facts? "

cts wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:52 PM:
    " Mr. Monti is a hero. He is doing the job of bringing awareness to this problem that our government isn't doing. VOTE people! VOTE people into office who will protect his great country and bring back to its days of glory! "

domack wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:54 PM:
    " I wonder if assault and battery will be charged against the illegals? "

Whowhat wrote on Sep 26, 2007 7:14 PM:
    " I made a very nice post about the lack of complete NCTD reporting. Mr. editor where did it go HMMMM "

Imigrunt RAPISTS wrote on Sep 26, 2007 7:14 PM:
    " Please update Bonsal Rapists case. They too are Illegal Immigrunts. We are seeing these guys are more dangerous than the media is painting them. We get comprehensive coverage on nightly televised news, no need to try to hide whats going on in our communities. "

Ridiculous wrote on Sep 26, 2007 7:15 PM:
    " What a waste of taxpayer money!!!! "

Michelle wrote on Sep 26, 2007 7:20 PM:
    " Oh boy, after reading all this it looks to me like the city is going to get sued! Great. Oh well, it looks like it will be deserved. "

Hide the facts wrote on Sep 26, 2007 7:26 PM:
    " Many people are saying NCT is covering up for illegal immigrunts, slanting stories, and deleting comments of concerned citizens. Shameful disservice to our communities to protect criminals and sugar coat their horrid crimes! "

TheNextStep wrote on Sep 26, 2007 7:27 PM:
    " Now that the jury has determined who ACTUALLY filed a false police report will the City Attorney prosecute them? "

Off to talk to the day laborers!! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 7:34 PM:
    " I'm sure these men will now tell the truth about the tampering that went on like who instructed them to say Monti called them "dirty Mexicans". Maybe a good meal, hotel room etc is inorder for the truth on video!! The latest tampering(someone knows what I am talking about) could put them in jail! "

What? wrote on Sep 26, 2007 7:49 PM:
    " My question is if Mr Monti didn't file a false police report then the day laborers must have assaulted him. At a minimum they perjured themselves on the stand. Will they be prosicuted? Who decided to take this case to trial? Based on what? "

Pappy wrote on Sep 26, 2007 8:01 PM:
    " Hey Whowhat - Why don't you quit whining like a spoiled little brat about your postings being censored. Go find another newspaper that suits you better, or start your own paper and leave us that enjoy the North County Times alone. I, (and probably a lot of other readers) have had our posts deleted, or parts of them edited out. Usually, in hindsight I understand the NCTs handling of my posts. I sometimes vent here before I really think about what I'm writing. Either way, like it or not, they're not under any obligation to print what I submit or report in more detail about the things that interest me. It's their paper, not ours. "

OK, NCT let's hear the facts of the case! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 8:07 PM:
    " So are you going to tell us what steered jurors to the acquittal of Mr.Monti? What about the facts of the case. You were there. I saw you. Let your readers know what really went on in that court room!! "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09 ... _26_07.txt

One for the good guys.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My sister lives in Rancho Penasquitos (San Diego). When I used to live in San Diego, on the way to my sister's house I often drove past that very corner where the day laborers loiter.

If I happened to be passing at just the right time, I'd see them, grocery bags in hand, leaving the corner and crossing the street to disappear back into the canyons where they had their migrant camps. It was very weird, seeing hordes of men walking in a line down into the canyon, and knowing they were living down there.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

POST OF THE DAY

Will this be Front page or back!! wrote on Sep 26, 2007 6:13 PM:

" Let me guess!! If he was found guilty it would be front but since he is innocent, back. Right?!! "

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09 ... ogcomments