Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rand Paul: Obama’s surgeon general pick will use position to attack Second Amendment

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rand Paul: Obama’s surgeon general pick will use position to attack Second Amendment

Rand Paul: Obama’s surgeon general pick will use position to attack Second Amendment

By David Sherfinski
    -
    The Washington Times
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky Republican, is objecting to President Obama’s nominee to be the next Surgeon General of the United States because of what he says is a history of political advocacy and push for gun controls.

In a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, Mr. Paul writes that he has “serious concerns” about Dr. Vivek Murphy’s ability to “impartially serve as ‘the Nation’s Doctor.’ “

Mr. Paul notes that Dr. Murthy is the co-founder of Doctors for America, a project of the left-leaning Center for American Progress.

“The primary policy goals of Dr. Murthy’s organization have been focused on advancing stricter gun control laws and promoting the Affordable Care Act,” Mr. Paul, an ophthalmologist, wrote in a letter dated Feb. 25.

“In his efforts to curtail Second Amendment rights, Dr. Murthy has continually referred to guns as a public health issue on par with heart disease and has diminished the role of mental health in gun violence,” Mr. Paul said. “As a physician, I am deeply concerned that he has advocated that doctors use their position of trust to ask patients, including minors, details about gun ownership in the home. His organization has also advocated that physicians collect and report data on gun ownership to the Federal Government and increasing Federal funding for gun control research.”

Dr. Murthy, Mr. Paul writes, has “disqualified himself from being Surgeon General because of his intent to use that position to launch an attack on Americans’ right to own a firearm under the guise of a public health and safety campaign.”

Because of changes to chamber rules Democrats pushed through last year, Dr. Murthy needs only a simple majority to win confirmation from the Senate. But Mr. Paul’s letter could raise the eyebrows of Democrats running for re-election this year in red states like Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, and North Carolina.

Sen. Lamar Alexander, Tennessee Republican, raised similar concerns over Dr. Murthy at a confirmation hearing earlier this month but GOP Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming said that due in part to the chamber’s new rules, Dr. Murthy’s confirmation is safe.

Mr. Murthy told senators he would avoid politics in the position if confirmed.

“I do not intend to use my office as surgeon general as a bully pulpit on gun control,” he said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-will-use-pos/

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

For the good of the conservative movement I will tolerate Rand Paul, but I can not forget about this:

Although Mr. Paul voted against the infamous Senate’s “Gang of Eight” amnesty bill, the one strategy what would ensure effective immigration control he rejects: all illegal aliens MUST LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND THE BORDER SECURED BEHIND THEM. Of curse, once you reject that, what is left? AMNESTY. His commitment to amnesty was exposed with his caustic remarks against those who have the impudence to want illegal aliens leave our homeland. He said, “They (illegal aliens) are not going home.” So then, why is that Mr.Paul? Is it because politicians like you will not even consider legislation to make them leave? And he was not through bad mouthing those patriots. He also stated, “What would they (citizens who want illegal aliens to go home) have us do, put them in concentration camps…?” Thus he ridicules concerned patriots.

My whole life I have been subjected to smart mouth insults by liberals; I will not tolerate it from pseud conservatives. I will tolerate Rand Paul but until he publically apologizes for his smart ass remarks I will never trust or like him.
    Last edited by csarbww; 02-26-2014 at 04:08 PM.