Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rangers' prospects can't get U.S. visasBy

By KAT O'BRIEN
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Omar Beltre's career is slipping away, birthday by birthday, while he waits to be approved for a visa to leave the Dominican Republic and enter the United States.

Beltre and Alexi Ogando, right-handed pitchers in the Rangers' organization, are not expected to be granted visas to pitch in the U.S. this year. They were middlemen caught in a marriage-visa scandal that involved several dozen baseball players. Neither has been allowed into the U.S. since.

Their crime was to go along with a proposal brought to them by men representing wealthy women who wanted to gain entry into the U.S. but couldn't because of immigration laws.

The players were offered several thousand dollars to say that they had married the women, which would facilitate their entry into the U.S.

In the heightened security of the post-9/11 era, government officials uncovered the scheme. The players were denied visas last year and told to reapply in 2007.

"They made a mistake, but they've more than paid for it," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. "... They're kids who didn't know what they were doing. They've more than paid their fine. They've paid for it for two years by not being able to pursue their careers."

Said A.J. Preller, the Rangers' director of international/professional scouting: "The consulate keeps telling us every year to reapply."

That has been fruitless. The only hope for Beltre and Ogando would seem to be that someone with influence decides to fight for them in this case. There are unconfirmed reports that some players have received such help, and have since been granted visas. Beltre and Ogando chose not to be interviewed, as they preferred to see if something might come through at the last minute.

"It looks pretty negative," said Preller, who has devoted a great deal of effort to try to obtain their visas. "Both guys have basically been told that through the regular process, they're not going to get their visas this year. Maybe through a special appeal."

For Beltre, who turns 26 in August, time is running out on his hopes of a major league career. Ogando turns 24 in October, so he has a little bit more time, but no one knows if either will ever be able to pursue a major league career.

Their only competition since 2005 has been against lesser players in the Dominican Republic. Ogando converted from outfielder to pitcher after the Rangers took him in the December 2005 Rule 5 minor league draft and has never pitched in the U.S.

Their talent is apparent, though.

Longtime Rangers scout Mel Didier said of Beltre: "[He] could get into the big leagues almost immediately because he's got great control. I've been told that he was being groomed as a reliever, but I tell you, he's improved so much with his breaking ball, I think he's got a chance to be a pretty good starter."

Daniels, too, believes Beltre would have a shot at making the majors this season. He has a fastball that is consistently in the upper 90s, a slider, and a changeup.

Ogando has been pitching for only about a year but also throws in the upper 90s with superb control.

"Ogando, for me, might have the best chance of being a pure closer of anybody that we have," Didier said. "I don't know if I've ever seen a guy that commands the strike zone at the low level the way that he does. He needs work on his breaking ball. He needs work on his change. But I'll tell you, this kid has got some kind of arm on him."

Rangers sign Relaford

The Rangers signed veteran infielder Desi Relaford to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training, Jon Daniels announced.

Relaford has spent parts of 10 seasons in the majors, playing with Philadelphia, San Diego, the New York Mets, Seattle, Kansas City and Colorado. He appeared in 11 games for Triple A Memphis in 2006.

The Rangers also invited minor league right-handed pitcher Jose Vargas to spring training. Vargas spent the past two seasons in the Mexican League. He joined the Cleveland organization in 1998 and reached Triple A in 2003.

-- David Sessions

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseb ... 704153.htm

Rangers will do anything for pitching
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

You mean Los Rangers?
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee