Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Reality Intrudes on the Drug War

February 15, 2009
    Reality Intrudes on the Drug War
    By Steve Chapman

In the story of the emperor with no clothes, it took someone whose observations are rarely heeded -- a child -- to point out the obvious fact that no one else could acknowledge. In the case of drug policy, it takes people who are usually ignored by Washington policymakers -- Latin Americans -- to perform the same invaluable service.

Last week, a commission made up of 17 members, from Peruvian novelist Mario Vargas Llosa to Sonia Picado, the Costa Rican who heads the Inter-American Institute on Human Rights, did nothing but admit the truth: The war on drugs is a failure.

"Prohibitionist policies based on the eradication of production and on the disruption of drug flows as well as on the criminalization of consumption have not yielded the expected results," the panel said in a report (http://drugsanddemocracy.org/files/2009 ... s_site.pdf). "We are farther than ever from the announced goal of eradicating drugs."

The panel was co-chaired by three former heads of state -- Ernesto Zedillo of Mexico, Cesar Gaviria of Colombia and Fernando Henrique Cardoso of Brazil, all of whom were once leaders in the crusade. In 1996, Zedillo won attention for escalating the crackdown. But they have learned from experience that the old strategy doesn't work.

The mere failure to stamp out drugs is not the only result. Worse still, particularly for Latin Americans, is the plague of unintended consequences. Among them, the commission noted, are the expansion of organized crime, a surge of violence related to drug trafficking and pandemic corruption among law enforcement personnel from the street level on up.

Normally, these regrettable side effects are sufficiently distant that Americans can ignore them. But at the moment, Mexico is in the throes of a virtual civil war. Last year, some 6,000 people died in drug-related violence, and already this year, another 2,000 have perished.

Illegal workers are not the only migrants across our southern border. "U.S. authorities are reporting a spike in killings, kidnappings, and home invasions connected to Mexico's murderous cartels," the Associated Press reports. "And to some policymakers' surprise, much of the violence is happening not in towns along the border, where it was assumed the bloodshed would spread, but a considerable distance away, in places such as Phoenix and Atlanta."

The commission report highlights that we have been fighting this war for some four decades, with no end -- much less victory -- in sight. No one in Washington even talks in such terms anymore. As the Brookings Institution pointed out in a recent study, drug use in the United States has remained stable over the last two decades, with a million people using heroin and 3.3 million using cocaine.

"Despite some of the world's strictest drug laws, combined hardcore-user prevalence rates for hard drugs are four times higher than in Europe," it noted. If tough law enforcement at home and abroad were choking off the supply of illicit substances, prices would be soaring. In fact, the retail cost of cocaine has dropped by more than two thirds since 1990.

The U.S. government has sent a lot of money south to eradicate fields of cannabis and coca. But this amounts to plowing the sea. Where there is demand, there will be supply.

Latin America is a large place. Stamp out production in one area and it will sprout somewhere else. Drug users in this country show a stubborn indifference to whether their preferred vice comes from Colombia, Mexico, Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay or Pluto, as long as it comes from somewhere. It always does.

The Latin American commission suggests using education and treatment to reduce the demand for illegal pleasure in consuming countries. But between the lines lurks a more important and radical idea, namely to treat recreational drug use (like drinking or smoking cigarettes) as a vice, not a crime.

"The enormous capacity of the narcotics trade for violence and corruption can only be effectively countered if its sources of income are substantially weakened," it argues. Unsaid is that the only way to drastically reduce the profitability of drug production and trafficking is to make them legal -- as we did with liquor after Prohibition.

Most people, here or in Latin America, may not be ready for that remedy. But facing the truth about the drug war is a step toward salvation. If you want to change reality, it helps to abandon your fantasies.

schapman@tribune.com
    Copyright 2009, Creators Syndicate Inc.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... rug_w.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In Regan's 8 years, he spent $1.860 Trillion, Bush Sr spent $1.378 Trillion in 4 years, Clinton $790 billion, and Bush Jr $1.243 trillion. This includes the cost of incarceration etc. All of this money wasted for what? Has the war on drugs been deterred in any way since Harry Anslinger began this in 1930? Prohibition didn't work then, and it doesn't work now.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Just like employers who hire illegal aliens are largely responsible for illegal alien presence, those who consume drugs are responsible for the cartel violence that has reached the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by attorneyatlaw
    Just like employers who hire illegal aliens are largely responsible for illegal alien presence, those who consume drugs are responsible for the cartel violence that has reached the U.S.
    Wake up my friend, it is plain that it is the laws against drugs, the failed laws, that drive this. Once the prohibition against alcohol was repealed it became manageable and taxable. The same thing will happen for drugs.

Though I do not do drugs, I know for a fact that if I wanted ANYTHING I could get it within a day. That is how well this Drug War has succeeded.

We have wasted so much money for decades on this failed policy, It is time that WE make money on the sale of drugs and not these cartels.

Common Sense in my opinion.

And welcome to alipac attorneyatlaw.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Quote Originally Posted by attorneyatlaw
    Wake up my friend, it is plain that it is the laws against drugs, the failed laws, that drive this. Once the prohibition against alcohol was repealed it became manageable and taxable. The same thing will happen for drugs.

Though I do not do drugs, I know for a fact that if I wanted ANYTHING I could get it within a day. That is how well this Drug War has succeeded.

We have wasted so much money for decades on this failed policy, It is time that WE make money on the sale of drugs and not these cartels.

Common Sense in my opinion.

And welcome to alipac attorneyatlaw.
    Well said Ratbstard! Just think of all of the tax money we could get if we just legalized marijuana. The country certainly wouldn't be in as big of a mess than it is now. Personally, I think ONLY marijuana should be legal. Everything else is VERY dangerous. As someone that made my share of mistakes as a youngster, I can personally tell you that we don't need things like cocaine and meth legalized. Those things offer no benefit unlike marijuana. Growing up, I was told all of these lies about pot. Imagine my suprise when my mom's cancer doctor told her to smoke a little pot for nausea. That was when I tried it myself. I never became addicted. After my mom passed away, I was on my own for the first time. One night I partied with some co-workers and one of them had meth. I figured that since I was lied to about pot, then meth was probably the same. I was wrong. I was addicted the first time I tried it. It became $150 a week habit. I finally burned myself out and gave it up, and removed myself from that lifestyle. God helped me through the withdrawls, which was pretty bad. I just don't think that we are able to stop these dangerous drugs.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Well jshhmr I sympathize with you but plainly the laws did not prevent you from having to learn the hard way. I have stated before that I believe those willing to do drugs will do so. Law or not. A key to my believing legalization is probaly a better way to go is that the drug (which ever one) will be regulated and quality controlled. Of corse many poor unfortunates will still have to learn their lessons the hard way but not by going to jail or overdosing. JMO