Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Reid could spring dream act at ANY time (The Hill)

Reid will be able to bring the House-passed DREAM Act to the floor at any time because it will come to the Senate as a message from the House with special privilege. Senate Dems put DREAM Act on hold after House passage
    By Alexander Bolton - 12/09/10 12:10 PM ET

Senate Democrats voted Thursday to postpone consideration of the DREAM Act, giving themselves a chance to take up a House-passed version of the bill after this week.

The bill is popular among Hispanic voters who helped Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) win reelection.

Reid promised voters shortly before Election Day that the Senate would consider the DREAM Act in the lame-duck session whether he won or lost.

Reid scheduled a vote to proceed to it Thursday but then switched course after the House passed a version of the bill Wednesday night. The Senate voted 59 to 40 to table a motion to take up the Senate version of the bill.

The differences between the Senate and House bills are merely technical. But taking up the House bill will save the lower chamber from re-voting on the matter.

The House version passed Wednesday night by a vote of 216 to 198 — eight Republicans voted yes and 38 Democrats voted no.

Reid will be able to bring the House-passed DREAM Act to the floor at any time because it will come to the Senate as a message from the House with special privilege.
    A Senate Democratic leadership aide said it would not come to the floor this week but will certainly receive a vote before senators adjourn for the year.

Sen. Dick Lugar (Ind.) is the bill’s lone Republican co-sponsor.

Proponents of the legislation say they need about five Republican votes to make up for Democratic opposition.
    It’s uncertain whether Reid will be able to muster those votes considering the scant record of bipartisan cooperation this year. Conservatives have slammed the bill as “amnestyâ€

These would be same amazing young people that march in the streets and break laws to demand what they think they are entitled to. We have already given them a good start - most have had a free education k-12, courtesy of the American citizens that they demonize and call names. In many countries college is fee or very cheap.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

first of all are the Hispanic USA Citizen . if not they can not vote . In my book don't they have to show birth Certificatie first ? I don't care how long they are in The USA show me you Certificatie no obama given them a start not us & we don't get not one thing they get it all well we are going to fight . & as for Tax I don't care . did any one see on Fox news to day Obama was so mad he kick the door .. just like a baby he could not get his way
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Durbin should hangout at Carl Hayden highschool in Phoenix, I bet my lunch money he wouldn't be sayin' any of this, Funny how those who've never been down here in the trenches, sure want to tell us what is best for us!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm voting for Christmas Eve. Vote for it or spend Christmas in DC.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wait, this article was published yesterday. When that "source" claimed it wouldn't be brought up for consideration "this week" did he mean the upcoming week?
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapka
    Wait, this article was published yesterday. When that "source" claimed it wouldn't be brought up for consideration "this week" did he mean the upcoming week?
    I listened to the Interview on potus (sirius XM) The reporter from 'the hill" said that Reid would likely file cloture early next week,there will be a vote on cloture,and It will fail..... He observed that Reid would have to convince 5 Republicans to cross party lines for the bill to pass. TS

That may be an optimistic assessment. I really hope I'm wrong, and that all of these lily-livered "blue dogs" like Manchin and Hagen are trying to avoid being bullied by their leader, but I'm not so sure. So far we only have two Dems on record opposing DREAM, and only one saying he'll vote against cloture.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Just pray a Repub Senator or Two is not forced to miss being in session next week because of illness,family and so on.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

How long do they have to pass the bill? Do they have 3 weeks, 3 months, since the House Passed their version? I am unfamiliar with the proceedings.
    The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast