Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Republican senator discusses Donald Trump "tipping point"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Republican senator discusses Donald Trump "tipping point"

By Emily Schultheis Face The Nation August 14, 2016, 11:26 AM

Republican senator discusses Donald Trump "tipping point"

Maine Sen. Susan Collins said she fully expected to come around and support Donald Trump in the general election--but attacking Army Capt. Humayun Khan and his family was the "tipping point" that made her decide she'd never be able to get on board.

"It was inexplicable to me that anyone, much less a presidential candidate, would not honor the sacrifice and empathize with a family who lost the son in war," Collins said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Instead, he attacked them and attacked their religion."

Collins announced in a Washington Post op-ed last week that she would not be voting for Trump, the latest in a series of high-profile GOP defections.

"It was still a difficult decision for me, because I'm a lifelong Republican and I wanted to and expected to be able to support our party's nominee," she said. "But the barrage of cruel comments and the attacks on people who are vulnerable and unable to fight back really troubled me."

Responding to those who say that by denying Trump her endorsement she's helping to elect Clinton, Collins said she has no intention of helping or voting for the Democratic nominee.

"If I were helping to elect Hillary Clinton, I would have endorsed her, I'd be working for her and I'd be voting for her," she said. "I'm not doing any of those things."

Instead, Collins said she's taking a look at the Libertarian Party ticket, which is headed by former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson and former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld.

"If Bill Weld were the head of that ticket, it would be an easier choice for me because I know him well and respect him a great deal," she said. "I may go that route, or I may end up writing in the name of the person I think is best qualified to be our next president."

Collins said she let her Republican colleagues know before she backed out of supporting Trump, including Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

"I think they understood that this was a decision that I, like many Americans, really struggled with," she said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/republic...tipping-point/
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Susan, why are you signing on to be a Megaphone for the STUPID, SICK, MENTALLY ILL CORRUPT MEDIA? Donald Trump honored the Khan son, called him an American Hero. Trump challenged the father on his vicious attack against Trump over the Muslim ban, which the father opposes because he supports Muslim immigration because he is a Muslim Immigration Lawyer who earns big fees helping Muslims migrate to the United States.

Why aren't you instead attacking the CIA and the Defense Department for lying in intelligence reports on ISIS? Why does challenging a Republican Presidential candidate defending one of his important policies to keep America safe from Radical Islamic Terrorism by controlling Muslim immigration rank higher on your list of issues than condemning the Obama Administration for LYING ABOUT THE SPREAD OF ISIS?

You're a confused woman, Susan. Or you're lying, too. You aren't not supporting Trump over his response to Mr. Khan. You need to come clean and state the real reason you're forsaking the candidate that received the most votes in a primary election in the history of the Republican Party.

SHAME ON YOU, SUSAN COLLINS. SHAME ON YOU.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Moved to General Discussion. All 2016 candidate and political article should be in General Discussion.

Thank you Newmexican. It was posted in immigration in error.

No problem.

Is Susan Collins really a Republican or she a member of the Old Politicians Uniparty?

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post
    No problem.

Is Susan Collins really a Republican or she a member of the Old Politicians Uniparty?
    She's not a Republican. I mean Real Republicans adore Trump. We may not agree on everything, I don't agree with the Pro-Life position and wish he was still Pro-Choice, but on everything else, he's totally 100% Republican. Republicans have always been protectionists, it was one of the major differences between our party and the Democrats. And the ole Democratic lie that Smoot-Hawley started the Depression is just that, a lie. It was a false claim that has been repeated over and over and it's just false. Tariffs are how you balance trade between countries that protect the home country, whether it's our country or another country. Successful countries like ours have the biggest reasons to protect our economy or through price competition with lower cost nations, we'll lose our industry, jobs and economy, exactly like what's happened.

Free Trade Treason Democrats are why we have the Infernal Income Tax. The income tax was passed in 1913 by Democrats who wanted to lower tariffs and move towards "free trade" but without tariffs there was no tax revenue to fund the government, so they passed the income tax to replace the lost revenue and AMENDED OUR CONSTITUTION in order to complete their treason against our nation. And of course with a mandatory income tax funded by Americans, now they could move to create the Federal Reserve System. Yes, all in one year, 1913, lowered most tariffs, passed the income tax, amended the US Constitution with the 16th Amended, and then passed the Federal Reserve Act that created our central banking system.

It's why most Real Republicans support the FairTax that fixes all that.

FairTax Act of 2015: HR 25 in the US House of Representatives and S 155 in the US Senate.

Republicans have always opposed open borders, have always been leery of immigration because of the consequences on our labor force and tax revenues when poverty results. Republicans have always been fiscally conservative and after decades of massive immigration, it's quite obvious to anyone with a 3rd grade education that immigration doesn't pay, it costs most Americans more than others. Some small amounts of very controlled immigration can be useful at times, but massive immigration has never ever been beneficial to the United States or the American People and what we're experiencing now and in recent decades is just unbelievable.

It's the poison of stupidity and insanity.
    Last edited by Judy; 08-14-2016 at 07:01 PM.