Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Right-Wing Mobs? No, A Cleaning Crew. I was not with Ann Coulter in her support of

Mark Levin

Well said.But let me add, I've given way too much attention to what our friend Ann thinks about McConnell.At this point, I don't give a damn.

Right-Wing Mobs? No, A Cleaning Crew.

By: Erick Erickson (Diary) | March 13th, 2014 at 04:30 AM | 71

I was not with Ann Coulter in her support of Chris Christie for President. And it took me a lot longer to get to Romney. Ann went to him once it became clear Christie wasn’t running. I waited till all the others were eliminated. But I like Ann and I find myself with her more often than not. But not with her defense of Mitch McConnell.
    In her syndicated column, Ann defends McConnell’s record on immigration and refers to RedState’s posts on McConnell as “nonsensical jeremiads against McConnell on the RedState blog.” I am glad she’s reading us. But I think Ann makes some errors about Mitch McConnell and glosses over some key details.
    First, Ann refers to Mitch McConnell as the “the Ted Cruz of campaign finance laws.” McConnell has also been a great warrior against campaign finance reform. He should be commended. But one issue does not a hero make. Further, as Larry Pratt of Gun Owners for America has pointed out, when McCain-Feingold made it to the floor of the Senate, McConnell pressured other Republican Senators to just let him handle it. He decided on a lawsuit strategy, let the legislation pass, then took it to the Supreme Court. He lost his case.
    Let’s also remember that McConnell managed the Republican opposition to the Motor Voter Bill back in the early nineties because it would empower ACORN. McConnell refused to support or even organize a filibuster of the motion to consider the bill, thereby letting it get quickly to the floor.
    There is, of course, Obamacare too. Yes, yes, we know that every Republican opposed Obamacare. They all voted against it. But as Senator Kyl noted of the Republican strategy to shut it down, “Actually, I think we can be fairly upfront about it. Our strategy is not actually to delay [but] to have a lot of good amendments and highlight the problems in the bill. It is not our strategy to somehow slow things down.”
    Ah yes — messaging it to death. McConnell has a pattern of trying to message things to death.
    Then, of course, there is Ann’s accusation that the Jim DeMint created Senate Conservatives Fund probably receives donations from the New York Times. The Senate Conservatives Fund, of which I am a proud supporter and donor, receives millions in small dollar donors from conservatives across the country who were most likely not Chris Christie fans and most assuredly did not go immediately from Christie to Romney in the 2012 campaign.
    Finally, while I appreciate the review of Mitch McConnell’s legislative record, there’s that other record that is less convenient. No, no, not the multiple votes to increase the debt ceiling. No, not the multiple votes that funded Obamacare. No, not McConnell’s vote opposing returning power to the states to control their own highway programs. No, I’m not even referring to Mitch McConnell’s vote to send the Senate’s amnesty plan to the floor of the Senate for consideration — something he could have rallied his side to oppose through a filibuster.
    Instead, I’m talking about the candidates McConnell has supported instead of the conservatives.
    Would Ann have preferred Trey Grayson over Rand Paul? Grayson is now working with an anti-gun Democratic super PAC to elect Democrats. Mitch McConnell supported Trey Grayson.
    Would Ann have preferred Charlie Crist over Rubio? She and I certainly did not like Rubio’s immigration plan — the one McConnell voted to get out of committee to the floor of the Senate. But would she have preferred Charlie Crist, who was and remains to the left of Rubio on the issue? Mitch McConnell supported Charlie Crist.
    Would Ann have preferred Arlen Specter to Pat Toomey like Mitch McConnell did?
    What about David Dewhurst over Ted Cruz?
    What about Bob Bennett? Does Ann think conservatives, led by the Senate Conservatives Fund, should have left in the Senate the Republican who helped author the federal individual mandate that went into Obamacare? His replacement was Mike Lee. Would Ann really join Mitch McConnell wanting to keep Bob Bennett in the Senate over Mike Lee.
    I realize Ann Coulter likes McConnell more than me. She’s entitled to her opinion. I realize many of you think he is far better a Republican leader than I do. As the man who helps steer lobbyist dollars to get candidates elected, you all think McConnell is a solid conservative. Why is he steering dollars and support to men like Charlie Crist, Arlen Specter, Trey Grayson, David Dewhurst, and Bob Bennett? McConnell may be voting the way you all want on the votes that matter to you, but he is clearly and indisputably working to get other men elected whose votes you’d despise in states where more conservative challengers could easily win and have won.
    Maybe McConnell is as conservative as you think and I am wrong. Or maybe he is voting how he thinks he must vote to win re-election, while stacking the deck against conservatives behind the scenes. Senator Crist, anyone? McConnell staffers even left McConnell’s office to go help that guy get elected.
    There’s no right wing mob on the march. There’s just a cleaning crew. If we don’t clean up our own side, the general election voters surely will. 2006 taught us that.

Tags: ann coulter, Mitch McConnell

http://www.redstate.com/2014/03/13/r...cleaning-crew/

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ann Coulter took up for Mitch McConnell on immigration? You have got to be kidding me!?!?!?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The politicians are so slippery, dancing with one person and then another, changing partners faster than a floozy at a rock concert. But still Ann Coulter has stated some hard facts about Mitch McConnell. This does mean we should all be enamored with him, but I think that was not her intent. I think she was saying we should be more thoughtful choosing whom to declare an enemy. I would say this-- we should try to replace him in the GOP primary with a hardcore conservative, by that I mean someone who is unequivocal about no amnesty -- ILLEGAL ALIENS GO HOME. No one can be a conservative if they vacillate on that issue. Illegal aliens do not get to stay no matter what. If we fail to get a good hard core patriot nominated, then we probably should support McConnell in the general election. As it is now many patriots will not support McConnell whatsoever. I think what Coulter is saying is we should get a strong candidate who, presumably, has the best chance of beating the Democrat.

Ann Coulter has been wrong on many things, e.g. Chris Christy. But she has been an unwavering rock about stopping any and all attempts at amnesty. It was Christy's ambiguity on that issue that caused her to change her mind and withdraw her support for him.

So O.K. argue with Ann, but always count her as our friend. She has said she loves "Tea Party people." And perhaps her article about Mitch McConnell was needed to cause us to slow down a little and be more thoughtful about how we deal with the Republican Party hacks.

There is only one test we should use at this time to separate the good guys from the bad guys: Will they insist that ILLEGAL ALIENS GO HOME? Mitch McConnell is something like a 50/50 on that. Even Ted Cruz vacillates on amnesty and that is a truly painful fact.

GOD BLESS JEFF SESSIONS HE IS ONE OF A HANDFUL WHO IS A ROCK AGAINST AMNESTY IN ANY OF ITS UGLY FORMS.
    Last edited by csarbww; 03-13-2014 at 04:25 PM.

I knew Ann Coulter was a mouthpiece for Carl Rove all along, glad its out in the open. Like to see Jeff Sessions as Senate majority leader when we take the senate in November, we need an "elder statesmen" in that spot.
    Last edited by Reciprocity; 03-13-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

tracking the usurper-in-chief and on his trail
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post
    Ann Coulter took up for Mitch McConnell on immigration? You have got to be kidding me!?!?!? W
    We kid you not, W, and would we lie? Here's all she wrote... about Sen. Mitch McConnell... here, at least, in this article... in the large print, above the fold - the part that we can read without a shyster's loupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Coulter for Townhall
    For months and months, for example, I've been demanding facts -- not shibboleths or epithets -- from the anti-Mitch McConnell brigade.

Here are my facts:

(1) For more than a decade, Sen. Mitch McConnell has stood alone in fighting unconstitutional campaign finance laws, earning him the undying enmity of The New York Times. (The Times is probably the largest contributor to the Senate Conservatives Fund opposing McConnell.)

McConnell took on the entire MSM, as well as members of his own party, principally John McCain and President Bush, who incomprehensibly signed McCain-Feingold into law with the idle musing that the Supreme Court could strike down any unconstitutional parts. (It didn't -- until some of it was finally overturned in Citizens United.)

McConnell was the Ted Cruz of campaign finance laws, leading filibusters to block these outrageous infringements on free speech, writing op-eds and giving speeches denouncing them, and directly suing to have McCain-Feingold declared unconstitutional in McConnell v. FEC.

As McConnell explained (beautifully):
    "(T)he political left has always faced an uphill climb in a country in which there are two self-identified conservatives for every self-identified liberal. ... In order to succeed in this environment, liberals have generally resorted to one of (three tactics): obscuring their true intent; pursuing through regulation and the courts what they can't through legislation; or muzzling their critics."

(2) As minority leader, McConnell managed to get every single Republican in the Senate to vote against Obamacare -- even "Strange New Respect" Republicans like John McCain, Susan Collins and Lindsey Graham. No other Republican leader has ever accomplished anything like that.

For example, under Minority Leader Bob Dole, seven Senate Republicans voted for Clinton's 1994 crime bill, which contained the assault weapons ban widely credited with Republicans' sweep of Congress later that year. That's not merely a reflection of Republicans being worse back then: Among the "Ayes" were conservative John Danforth (Mo.) and William Cohen -- as good as you get from Maine.

The importance of a solid Republican vote against Obamacare can hardly be overstated. Thanks to McConnell, there is no confusion about which party is responsible for this widely detested law -- and which party you should vote for to get rid of it.

(3) McConnell tricked Obama into accepting the only spending cuts to the federal government in more than half a century.

Obama originally proposed the sequester on the assumption that its provisions were so harsh, Republicans would never accept it. But McConnell called his bluff and, for the first time since Eisenhower's first term, a bill was signed into law that would impose large-scale spending cuts on the federal government.

Even Ronald Reagan didn't cut federal spending!

McConnell did -- and that was with a Democratic president and a Democratic majority in the Senate. (Imagine what he could do with a Senate majority!)

Unfortunately, that deal was lightly thrown away by Rep. Paul Ryan last month, after he was bamboozled by the stupidest person in America, Sen. Patty Murray. Ryan claimed he jettisoned the spending cuts in order to restore military spending.

I'm sorry, but who cares about military spending as long as Obama is president? At the rate he’s going, Obama might use our military to attack England.

In any event, about a week after Ryan scuttled McConnell's historic budget cuts, Obama's defense secretary announced plans to reduce the Army to its smallest force since before World War II. Good work, Paul!

While we're on the subject, Ryan also supports giving the Democrats 30 million new voters with amnesty. But I don't see the shyster "tea party" groups or talk radio charlatans trying to take out Ryan. Only the guy who cut government spending for the first time in 60 years is on the hit list of the Senate Conservatives Fund and the rest of the fake tea partiers.

(4) On the most important issue -- immigration -- McConnell not only voted against Marco Rubio's amnesty bill, but at the moment, he may be the only thing standing between us and a scheme to import 30 million new Democratic voters. As House Speaker John Boehner works feverishly behind the scenes to push amnesty through, McConnell recently announced that there would be no immigration bill in 2014 (thank almighty God).

There are breathless headlines all over the Internet claiming, "McConnell Supports Amnesty!" but when you click on them, the links don't work and the claims don't make sense.

In fact, over the years, McConnell has voted for:

-- preventing legal immigrants from collecting food stamps (1997);

-- a border fence (2006); and

-- English as the official language of the U.S. government (2007).

He also voted to block federal funds from being sent to so-called "sanctuary cities" for illegal aliens (2008 ). The only amnesty McConnell ever voted for was the one signed by President Reagan in 1986.

I know this from looking up McConnell's actual voting record, as opposed to reading nonsensical jeremiads against McConnell on the RedState blog.

True, McConnell is bad on guest worker programs, but if that's the test, the only Republican senator worth a d___ is Jeff Sessions. I don't disagree, but I wish conservatives would mention that to their elected representatives once in a while.

Like Ted Cruz. According to The New York Times, Cruz supports "a path to legal status," with "the goal of allowing (illegal aliens) to stay," and expressly rejects Mitt Romney's idea of "self-deportation." (Cruz Tries to Claim the Middle Ground on Immigration, Sept. 12, 2013.)

McConnell has never said anything that bad on immigration.

Those are facts. Here's the counter-argument from the anti-McConnell crowd:
    HE'S A RINO! HE'S AN ESTABLISHMENT REPUBLICAN! HE'S BEEN A TERRIBLE LEADER! MITCH LIED, KIDS DIED!

Ladies and Gentlemen, there you have all the attributes of a mob: Slogans in lieu of logic and evidence, beliefs impenetrable by facts, emotional hatred of the "enemy" and the acceptance of wild contradictions. "Isn't Paul Ryan dreamy? Let's run Ted Cruz for president! We love Reagan ... But we hate McConnell for voting with Reagan!"

Nothing good has ever been accomplished by a mob.

townhall.com/columnists/anncoulter/2014/03/12/rightwing-mobs-say-it-isnt-so-conservatives-n1808148/page/full
    Last edited by MinutemanCDC_SC; 03-13-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    One man's terrorist is another man's undocumented worker.

Unless we enforce laws against illegal aliens today,
    tomorrow WE may wake up as illegals.

The last word: illegal aliens are ILLEGAL!