Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rival rallies in SB, Illegal immigration fires up both sides

http://www.sbsun.com/

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_5464260
    Rival rallies in SB
    Illegal immigration fires up both sides
    Charlotte Hsu, Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 03/18/2007 12:00:00 AM PDT

SAN BERNARDINO - A cross- section of Southern California crowded downtown Saturday, with amnesty advocates and anti-illegal immigration activists braving the noonday heat to rally for their views.
    Police estimated that 300 people lined the steps of City Hall to rally for legalization of illegal immigrants, while 50 to 100 demonstrators chanted anti-illegal immigration slogans across the street.

The events remained peaceful despite back-and-forth yelling and accusations of racism flying from both sides.

Beneath the raucous exterior were personal stories of hardship and sacrifice.

There was Raymundo Cazares, 27, a car-wash worker who bused in from the Coachella Valley to support undocumented people like himself. He couldn't return to Sonora, Mexico, for his father's funeral because he didn't want to risk crossing the border again.

"I came here to work, seeking a better life. ... There's more opportunities here than in Mexico," he said in Spanish.

Present, too, was Richard Thatcher, 53, of Huntington Beach, a roofer for 38 years who said he's seen pay in his industry decline because illegal immigrants are willing to drudge long hours for less money.

Besides fighting for
    amnesty, members of the larger rally were asking for an end to both the Iraq war and violence on local streets.
    Armando Navarro is a local coordinator for the National Alliance for Human Rights campaign, a sponsor of the pro-amnesty gathering. He said he hoped San Bernardino's event would help kick-start a nationwide season of demonstrations for immigration reform and withdrawal from Iraq.

The goal is to ramp up enough energy to turn out droves of supporters in Washington in early May, Navarro said. He added that he is networking with organizers in places such as Chicago and Los Angeles who are working toward the same objective.

Speakers at the pro-amnesty event included Navarro and Rep. Joe Baca, D-Rialto.

The rally was preceded by a march that took demonstrators to City Hall from La Placita Park off Mount Vernon Avenue.

As the line of activists snaked through the city, San Bernardino was out to greet them. Patrons and workers at auto shops, restaurants and other establishments stood outside, some giving their blessings, others shaking their heads.

Drivers on Interstate 215 honked in support as the human train crossed the Fifth Street bridge waving signs that read "Ning n ser humano es ilegal" - no human being is illegal.

"Qu queremos?" leaders asked. "What do we want?"

"Justicia!" marchers replied. "Justice."

"When do we want it?" leaders asked.

"Now!"

Minutes earlier, Jay Nu ez, who grew up in the area and co-owns Los Faroles restaurant on Fifth Street, roasted under the sun in a blue apron, snapping photos of the marchers. He said his grandfather came to the U.S. legally.

Of illegal immigrants, he said, "They have no respect for our state."

The dichotomy of views was on display as the activists converged on City Hall, where they were met by opposition protesters.

"Ignore the idiots," one march leader commanded through a megaphone.

Cazares traversed the Arizona desert on his way to Southern California about seven years ago.

He sends money to his mother in Mexico, but says he wants to stay in California with his wife and 3-year-old son - both citizens. He said life isn't easy for people like him, the "sin papeles," the "people without papers." One landlord said he couldn't live with his wife.

Cazares said recent federal raids targeting illegal workers have created fear in the immigrant community. He said it's time to tell Congress to support undocumented laborers who contribute to U.S. society.

In contrast, Thatcher said though he believes the process of coming to the U.S. should be simplified, people who entered illegally should not be rewarded with amnesty for breaking laws.

Thatcher and Cazares stood on opposite sides of the road, separated by a row of police. Around each of them waved
    ------------------------

MW

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a late start, so from where I live I took a shortcut. I passed the crowd on Mt Vernon but then I was stopped on Arrowhead 4 blocks away so I walked down to the rally and waited on court st, across the street from SOS, The MinuteMen and our new member "Buddy".
    There were`nt even half as many illegals as Armando expected. Most of them were bused from different cities because the ones in this area are afraid of being deported.
    I think they all have a recording in their head, "racist, and we`re just here for a better life"

This was more of a smoke screen. Armando just wanted publicty. He and Joe Baca could`nt care less about the war.
    ------------------------

Will George Bush now be aligned with the anti war movement?

This rally will never get to Bush. The war was added to this rally just to draw more attention for the Illegals.
    ------------------------

They want justice? Demand it? Well, o.k., there should have been a bunch of ICE people there with N.G. backup, rounding up the illegals, informing them that their illegally aquired assets are are forfeited, and packing them off to where ever they came from. And if there were any idiotic citizen supporters with them, then send them with the illegals, and see how they like getting treated in those countries for not being legal. That might wake some of them up.

Justice works both ways, not just one.

Tell them that they have a choice, do time or pay for every day they`ve been or get out of this country and never come back illegally or next time they won`t have a choice.
    ------------------------

Re: Rival rallies in SB, Illegal immigration fires up both s

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    "I came here to work, seeking a better life. ... There's more opportunities here than in Mexico," he said in Spanish.
    This is what bothers me the most and I almost never see it addressed.
    He came here for a better opportunity then he would have in Mexico.

1. I want immigrants who come here because they love America and they want to BE Americans.

2. What kind of people are we letting in here if they would abandon their own country and seek a better way of life elsewhere when things get tough? Wouldn't it be better for all involved if they fixed the problems in their own homes rather then running to ours?

3. Does he not realize that he and his partners in crime are going to cause the same problems here that they encountered in Mexico because they are straining and exhausting the system?

4. Will they move on to another opportunity when they have exhusted all that we have to give?

5. I am prior military. I would die to protect my country. Would they do the same for this country? Are they willing to put thier money where their mouthes are and enlist in the military to help out against the fight against terrorism? Or will they run back to Mexico for a better life if things get dicey here with terrorists?

6. Talk to me about these things when you respect and love MY country enough to follow its basic laws of entry.

ProudAmericanFamily wrote:
    I would die to protect my country. Would they do the same for this country?
    They`ll die to to protect it from us. They already think they have it.
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a late start, so from where I live I took a shortcut. I passed the crowd on Mt Vernon but then I was stopped on Arrowhead 4 blocks away so I walked down to the rally and waited on court st, across the street from SOS, The MinuteMen and our new member "Buddy".
    There were`nt even half as many illegals as Armando expected. Most of them were bused from different cities because the ones in this area are afraid of being deported.
    I think they all have a recording in their head, "racist, and we`re just here for a better life"

This was more of a smoke screen. Armando just wanted publicty. He and Joe Baca could`nt care less about the war.
    MK
    that sign...........who is the organization and do you know who the funders are?

That sign was displayed by the moonbats {who by the way really need to learn the positive benefits of bathing} at the GATHERING of EAGLES counter protest in DC this weekend.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast