Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Romney fading, Rohrabacher, Bolton rising for State as 'consensus package'

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Romney fading, Rohrabacher, Bolton rising for State as 'consensus package'

By PAUL BEDARD • 12/3/16 4:49 PM

Mitt Romney's chances for being secretary of State in a Trump administration are fading amid a deep division among President-elect Trump's team, and that is giving rise to dark horse candidate Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a foreign policy tough guy who once arm wrestled Russian President Vladimir Putin, according to insiders.

The Trump cabinet executive committee is also eyeing long-time Republican diplomat John Bolton as deputy secretary of State, though there are some who prefer him in the top job.

Representative Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., left, meets with U.S. soldiers during a congressional visit to Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan Wednesday, April 3, 2002. The delegation, which was on a fact finding mission to Afghanistan, stopped at Bagram to express their support for U.S. troops in the field. (AP Photo/Greg Baker)

Two sources late Saturday said that there is an emerging "consensus package" of Rohrabacher, a long-serving California lawmaker who heads a House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee, as the secretary and Bolton as his chief deputy.

"This is percolating through the system and Dana the dark horse is emerging from the back of the pack," said one transition source. Another said, "I'm feeling like a surprise might be in order."

According to the sources, Trump advisors Stephen Bannon and Peter Thiel have spent four hours on the phone with Rohrabacher and found that he agrees with all Trump top policy agenda items. He was a supporter of Trump also. One source said that Rohrabacher may be headed to Trump Tower next week for a meeting with the President-elect.

California Rep. Dana Rohrabacher in his office. AP Photo

He is a former Reagan speechwriter and expert on Afghan policy. He also has one of the most interestingly-decorated House offices and is even a California surfer.

Sources said that he was previously asked his interest in being No. 2 at State under Romney, but said that he couldn't work for a secretary who did not support Trump during the campaign.

Romney was harshly critical of Trump during the election, though he has eaten crow in two meetings since Trump was elected president-elect.

For many Trump insiders, notably campaign manager Kellyanne Conway, that's not good enough to then be rewarded with one of the administration's top jobs.

Bolton, like Romney, also has champions on the Trump executive committee. He worked for former President Reagan and both former Presidents Bush, mostly in key State and diplomatic roles, including as ambassador to the United Nations.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ro...rticle/2608799
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am rooting for John Bolton...we need a tough guy not giving away the farm, the complete opposite of John Kerry!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I am rooting for John Bolton...we need a tough guy not giving away the farm, the complete opposite of John Kerry!
    I don't really know which of them would be the best choice. However, I will say Rohrabacher always seemed like a tough guy when talking about border security and illegal immigration. I know he is opposed to amnesty for illegal aliens.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My only problem with Rohrabacher is his role in the Balkans in the nineties. But that was a long time ago and he may have changed his opinions. And meanwhile Trump wants to get along with the Russians, and this most certainly suggests a change of opinion about Serbia and the accusations made against it. But that depends on how Trump feels about what happened during the collapse of Yugoslavia and he hasn't addressed that as far as I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_R...o_independence

It would be very politic to have a Californian in there.
    Support ALIPAC'sFIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    pkskyali wrote (excerpt):

But that depends on how Trump feels about what happened during the collapse of Yugoslavia and he hasn't addressed that as far as I know.
    That's assuming he knows anything about it. I don't think foreign politics is his strong suit. Of course that's why his selection for Secretary of State is critical.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Rex Tillerson, the CEO of ExxonMobil is now under consideration for Secretary of State. I like him. He's done a lot work in Russia and all around the world with Exxon. He's bring that Big Honcho reputation, business experience, international experience and management experience to the table. And there's no issues, no leaking information, no screw-ups in the Balkans, no stupid political statements on record.
    Last edited by Judy; 12-06-2016 at 08:14 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher has been endorsed by ALIPAC for many years and would make an excelent cabinet appointment for Donald Trump!

While I understand that many of you have your favorite picks, please consider supporting Rep. Rohrabacher as much as possible because he has support our fight against illegal immigration and amnesty for many years!

William Gheen
    President, Americans for Legal Immigration PAC
    www.alipac.us
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have hoped for Rep. Rohrabacher because of his strong stance on illegal immigration. If the people dealing with countries around the world and the UN are strong, have a mindset of America First, then we hopefully stop getting refugees and foreigners to further push Americans at the back of the line. Make countries take their people back and set up the safe spaces. Many of these cultures and ideas clash with American ideas, our way of governing, and the Constitution.

Too many want to kill us or transform us like Obama and add in those in support of Sharia and Islamization of Western societies.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 12-06-2016 at 08:18 PM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I like Dana a lot and have already posted a long post about my support of him. He would be fine fine with me. Tillerson would have that big stick background with Exxon and foreign dignitaries are impressed with that, so that could be a plus.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Judy, I am not familiar with Tillerson of ExxonMobil but will read up on him.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast