Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ron Paul: On Illegal Immigration and Border Security

December 07, 2007
    On Illegal Immigration and Border Security
    by Ron Paul

Illegal immigration is on the forefront of many Americans’ minds lately and with good reason. The Center for Immigration Studies has recently reported that our immigrant population is now 37 million, up from 27 million in 1997. 1 in 3 of these immigrants are here illegally. We have a problem that has exploded in the last 10 years with no appreciable change in border security since September 11 when we were supposed to take a hard look at the problem.

We have security issues at home and our resources are running thin. Our education system is stretched, and immigration accounts for virtually all the national increase in public school enrollment in the last 2 decades. There is a worker present in 78% of immigrant households using at least one major welfare program, according to the same study. It’s no surprise then that often times these immigrants can afford to work for lower wages. They are subsidized by our government to do so.

Right now we are subsidizing a lot of illegal immigration with our robust social programs and it is an outrage that instead of coming to the United States as a land of opportunity, many come for the security guaranteed by government forced transfer payments through our welfare system. I have opposed giving federal assistance to illegal immigrants and have introduced legislation that ends this practice. In the last major House-passed immigration bill I attempted to introduce an amendment that would make illegal immigrants ineligible for any federal assistance. Unfortunately, that amendment was ruled "not relevant" to immigration reform. I believe it is very relevant to taxpayers, however, who are being taken advantage of through the welfare system. Illegal immigrants should never be eligible for public schooling, social security checks, welfare checks, free healthcare, food stamps, or any other form government assistance.

The anchor baby phenomenon has also been very problematic. Simply being born on US soil to illegal immigrant parents should not trigger automatic citizenship. This encourages many dangerous behaviors and there are many unintended consequences as a result of this blanket policy. I am against amnesty and I have introduced an amendment to the Constitution (H.J. Res 46) which will end this form of amnesty.

I have also supported the strengthening our border and increasing the number of border patrol agents. It is an outrage that our best trained border guards are sent to Iraq instead of guarding our borders. For national security, we need to give more attention to our own border which is being illegally breached every day, and yet the government shirks one of its few constitutionally mandated duties, namely to defend this country. Citizens lose twice with our current insecure border situation – we don’t have the protection we should have, and then taxpayers have to deal with the fallout in the form of overstretched public resources and loss of jobs.

The anger is understandable when it comes to illegal immigration and the problems with our borders. I will continue to fight in Congress for more effective ways to address these issues in keeping with the Constitutional mandate to protect America .

Dr. Ron Paul is a Republican congressman from Texas.
    http://www.freeliberal.com/archives/003100.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

No, he didn't talk macho and talk about building a fence or rounding them all up - but what he is proposing will go a long way to fixing the problem - AND it will save the taxpayers money.

Putting them off welfare and denying them all but emergency medical care will more than pay for any added monies incurred to enforce this.

He didn't mention the employers - but he has addressed many of the problems. I would like to hear what he plans to do with the employers.

Or we can talk about building a fence that will take years, and will transfer more and more money into the hands of politically connected contractors - and without more BP agents - and without giving them freedom to do their jobs.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Finally some "Common Sense" to bad the rest of congress won't pay attention!! We should send this to all Represenatives and Senators and ask them to back Ron Paul...This may help wake a few up!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Re: Ron Paul: On Illegal Immigration and Border Security

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    December 07, 2007

I have opposed giving federal assistance to illegal immigrants and have introduced legislation that ends this practice. In the last major House-passed immigration bill I attempted to introduce an amendment that would make illegal immigrants ineligible for any federal assistance. Unfortunately, that amendment was ruled "not relevant" to immigration reform.
    NOT RELEVANT? This is why we need to toss out the majority of our Congressmen.

Ron Paul is sounding better and better all the time.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

This is why I am campaigning for Paul. He/Hunter and Tancredo are the only candidates on either side interested in cleaning up the mess we have inherited.

Paul has raised as much as Guliani and Romney this quarter. And with one month left to go, I can't help but believe he does have a shot at the nomination.

We have to see to it that one of the three candidates above does become the Republican nominee !!

That's a fact, Dianne.

I prefer Paul because he wants to following the constitution and simply enforce the law. He doesn't bluster, talk macho, etc. - he just talks.

Tancredo is a hero to me just for stepping out and taking the criticism and keeping the heat on the other candidates. Without him, we still may not be debating the issue.

Hunter would be my last choice - but I think I could vote for him.