Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ron Paul may run as an Independent

GOP contender will not rule out third-party run

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Rep. Ron Paul refused to rule out a third party bid Sunday if he fails to win the Republican Party presidential nomination.

When Tim Russert of NBC’s 'Meet the Press' asked the Texas congressman if he’d consider an independent bid, he replied: "I have no intention of doing that."

When pressed by Russert to state unequivocally that he would not, Paul demurred. "I deserve one wiggle now and then, Tim!"

Paul lost to Phil Gramm in the 1984 Texas Republican primary for the U.S. Senate. Four years later, he ran for president as the Libertarian Party nominee.

The Republican presidential contender — who has an intensely loyal national following — is pulling in record fundraising sums, prompting speculation that he may continue his White House bid even if he does not fare well among Republican primary voters.

Paul is currently averaging single-digit showings in most recent surveys of GOP voters nationally and in early-voting states.

During the Sunday interview, Paul criticized the Civil Rights Act, pointing out that Barry Goldwater opposed it. But he would not say he whether would vote against the legislation today. "I get more support from black people than any other Republican candidate, according to some statistics," he added.

Paul also contended that the Civil War had been unnecessary because the United States would have gotten rid of slavery eventually.

(This site updates so it may not show up in this link)
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Oh, geez Louise!! Here we go again! Shades of Perot come haunting!
    If nit wits like me didnt fall for Perots line we wouldnt have gotten Klinton!
    Is this going to be a recurring nightmare?

Not that I dont think we need a third party....I think we do but we all
    know who a third party candidate would draw votes from! It wouldnt
    be......her.....I cannot even say her name~~shudder~~~!
    PROMOTE SELF DEPORTATION, ENFORCE OUR
    LAWS!

MW
    Catslave wrote:

You're right, this is not the time for a third party candidate, not unless he or she mainly follows the Democrats ideology on most issues.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Catslave
    This is all spin. Ron Paul is asked this question in every single interview, because their purpose is to put it in people's minds that he is not a republican. The man has been elected 10 times as a Republican!

He has stated that he is 99.9% sure that he won't and that is not his intention. However, he does not like to state absolutes, as he does not know what the future will bring.

He did bring up an important side issue about McCain running as an independent. McCain/Lieberman 2008?!

MR. RUSSERT: But the door's open a little bit.

REP. PAUL: Not very much. It really isn't. I, I don't--Tim, we just raised $10 million in two days. We haven't even had a race, we have February 5th coming up. We have a campaign to run. Why--do you ask all the other--how many other candidates have you asked, "Are you going to run as a third party candidate if you don't win?" Have you asked John McCain that?

And Perot WOULD HAVE WON, if he hadn't dropped out for awhile.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presi ... tion,_1992
    "In June, Perot led the national public opinion polls with support from 39% of the voters (versus 31% for Bush and 25% for Clinton).[5] Perot severely damaged his credibility by dropping out of the presidential contest in July and remaining out of the race for several weeks before re-entering. He compounded this damage by eventually claiming, without evidence, that his withdrawal was due to Republican operatives attempting to disrupt his daughter's wedding"

I have been told by some people who are officers within the NAACP that considering the abolition of slavery in Cuba and Brazil in the 1880s forcing the abolition issue to the point of Civil War was a bad idea. If the abolitionists were willing to negotiate a more peaceful resolution that it would have been worth it to wait the twenty years considering how many Blacks died during the War and how many suffered at the ands of the resentful former Confederate Whites.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    And yet there were many blacks that volunteered and served in the Confederate Army, as well.

What was that about?

Quote Originally Posted by Catslave

I totally disagree, there will be a lot of Democratic voters that will be turned off by a Hillary nomination.
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok