Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Was Ross Perot Right? Article for 07 shows what went wrong

"Ross Perot was fiercely against NAFTA. Knowing what we know now, was Ross Perot right?"

That's what CNN's Wolf Blitzer asked Hillary Clinton at last week's Democratic presidential debate. It was a straightforward query about a Clinton administration trade policy that polls show the public now hates, and it was appropriately directed to a candidate who has previously praised NAFTA.

In response, Clinton stumbled. First she laughed at Perot, then she joked that "all I can remember from that is a bunch of charts," and then she claimed the whole NAFTA debate "is a vague memory." The behavior showed how politically tone deaf some Democratic leaders are.

To refresh Clinton's "vague memory," let's recall that Perot's anti-NAFTA presidential campaign in 1992 won 19 percent of the presidential vote — the highest total for any third-party candidate since Teddy Roosevelt. That included huge tallies in closely divided regions like the Rocky Mountain West, which Democrats say they need to win in the upcoming election.

A Democrat laughing at Perot on national television is a big mistake. Simply put, it risks alienating the roughly 20 million people who cast their votes for the Texas businessman.

But Clinton's flippant comments and feigned memory lapse about NAFTA were the bigger mistakes in that they insulted the millions of Americans (Perot voters or otherwise) harmed by the trade pact. These are people who have seen their jobs outsourced and paychecks slashed thanks to a trade policy forcing them into a wage-cutting war with oppressed foreign workers.

Why is Clinton desperate to avoid discussing NAFTA? Because she and other congressional Democrats are currently pushing a Peru Free Trade Agreement at the behest of their corporate campaign contributors — an agreement expanding the unpopular NAFTA model. When pressed, Clinton claims she is for a "timeout" from such trade deals — but, as her husband might say, it depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is, since she simultaneously supports the NAFTA expansion.

Of course, this deviousness is precisely why it is worth asking about Perot's predictions: to make sure America has an informed and honest discussion about impending new trade policies before they are enacted.

And so without further ado, let's answer the question Clinton ducked: Was Ross Perot right?

In 1993, the Clinton White House and an army of corporate lobbyists were selling NAFTA as a way to aid Mexican and American workers.

Perot, on the other hand, was predicting that because the deal included no basic labor standards, it would preserve a huge "wage differential between the United States and Mexico" that would result in "the giant sucking sound" of American jobs heading south of the border. Corporations, he said, would "close the factories in the U.S. [and] move the factories to Mexico [to] take advantage of the cheap labor."

The historical record is clear. The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace reports, "Real wages for most Mexicans today are lower than when NAFTA took effect." Post-NAFTA, companies looking to exploit those low wages relocated factories to Mexico. According to the Economic Policy Institute, the net effect of NAFTA was the elimination of 1 million American jobs.

Score one for Perot.

What about immigration? In 1993, the Clinton administration pitched NAFTA as "the best hope for reducing illegal immigration." Perot, by contrast, said that after NAFTA depressed Mexican wages, many Mexicans "out of economic necessity" would "consider illegally immigrating into the U.S."

"In short," he wrote, "NAFTA has the potential to increase illegal immigration, not decrease it."

Again, the historical record tells the story. As NAFTA helped drive millions of Mexicans into poverty, The New York Times reports that "Mexican migration to the United States has risen to 500,000 a year from less than 400,000 in the early 1990s, before NAFTA," with a huge chunk of that increase coming from illegal immigration.

Score another one for Perot.

Clinton may continue to laugh at Perot and plead amnesia when asked about trade policy. And sure, she and her fellow Democrats in Washington can expand NAFTA and ignore the public's desire for reform. But these politicians shouldn't be surprised if that one other Perot prediction comes true again — the one accurately predicting that Democrats would lose the next national election if they sold America out and passed NAFTA.

Foreshadowing that historic Democratic loss in 1994, he warned, "We'll remember in November."

Yes, indeed, Ross. America probably will.

David Sirota is the bestselling author of "Hostile Takeover" (Crown, 2006). He is a senior fellow at the Campaign for America's Future and a board member of the Progressive States Network — both nonpartisan research organizations. His daily blog can be found at www.credoaction.com/sirota. To find out more about David Sirota and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at www.creators.com.
    http://www.creators.com/opinion/david-s ... right.html

I am proud to say that I voted for Ross Perot all those years ago.

I can still hear his voice talking about that GIANT SUCKING SOUND
    of America's jobs leaving the country. Too bad only 19 percent of us believed that he was not a nut.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Banned
    I voted forRoss too WMM.Everything that man said has come true,its a damn shame he didnt get elected look where we would be today.

Yep, I voted for him.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I voted for him in 1996, when he ran against Clinton and Dole. It was my first vote at 19 years of age. I am very proud of it, and continue to this day to look at options outside of the Republicrats.

About a year ago I was doing casual research on NAFTA, and noticed how important the Perot-Gore debate on Larry King Live was.......apparantly it changed the mood of the populace as well as the gov't from anti-NAFTA to pro-NAFTA. So I thought to myself, "Ya know, I've never actually seen this debate." So I looked it up on Youtube, watched it in its entirety -- 10 parts, and was AMAZED at what I saw. Gore sold NAFTA as primarily an exporting bill. He said it would INCREASE our manufacutring base, and INCREASE the trade surplus that we had then enjoyed with Mexico. I was stunned.......Perot said we would lose jobs to Mexcio due to the cheaper labor, lack of regulation, and lack of potential Mexican consumers of American goods.

Perot turned out to be 100% correct. Now NAFTA supporters use very different reasoning to defend it. Apparantly it was supposed to do one thing, it did the opposite, but is still a success
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    I voted forRoss too WMM.Everything that man said has come true,its a damn shame he didnt get elected look where we would be today.
    Duckman, I couldn't agree more. The voters of this country remain so unbelievably loyal to the two party system. It is though they are paralyzed by the belief that we should not move away from the old and institute/try something positively new.

I am so thankful for the Tea Party, who have no problem with taking the heat and hearing all of the negative BS coming from those who are afraid of losing their cushy political jobs.

Not only does our political system need an overhaul, from top to bottom, inside and out so does the rest of our government. People would be amazed to know the levels of political and family connections will get you a job, a raise, a promotion, etc. Sadly, it's all about who you know and who likes you.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    Sadly, it's all about who you know and who likes you.
    What really sucks is Perot and Obama's ears are the same size!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Ross was RIGHT 100% and not only did NAFTA suck the jobs out of this country.. so are all of the other bogus Free Trade Deals

WHICH ARE NEITHER FREE OR A DEAL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    Sadly, it's all about who you know and who likes you.
    What really sucks is Perot and Obama's ears are the same size!
    Steve, if you were anywhere near me, I would make you clean my screen and keyboard that you made me spit Coke all over.

Topic: Perot's intelligence and business acumen wins the bigger contest; Obama wins the big ears contest by a landslide.