Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Got this in email today

Date: Friday 28JUL06 1:30 a.m. EDT

Your calls/faxes/meetings are scaring Congress away from the Pence amnesty

Thanks to all of you who took action this week.

Let's make it a very active Friday for staffers in DC and back home.

You have sent 92,529 faxes to Congress opposing the new Hutchison-Pence temporary worker/amnesty bill for illegal aliens -- and opposing any increases in immigration.

You have done that since I alerted you to the threat of the bill Tuesday afternoon!

If you haven't sent these faxes, please do so now. We need to keep the barage of opposition going into next week.

Go to your Action Buffet corkboard, click on the action notes there and SEND YOUR FAXES:

www.NumbersUSA.com/actionbuffet

As I warned you would happen, an incredible amount of money and effort from the Chamber of Commerce/Wall Street Journal lobby has been pushing this so-called "middle-of-the-road compromise" this week through a variety of means.

But pity the big-money lobbyists who have had to contend with congressional staffers who report to them the huge and immediate negative response from the voters back home -- because of all those faxes and your flood of phone calls.

We are quite encouraged that there is not going to be the sudden rush of support behind this bill that had been planned along with the high praise from the White House, Speaker of the House, Senate Majority Leader, Time magazine and a host of media flackers.

IT IS MOST IMPORTANT THAT U.S. HOUSE OFFICES RECEIVE PHONE CALLS ALL DAY FRIDAY.

Call your U.S. Representative through the Capitol Switchboard at:

(202)225-3121

For the easiest way to make the call, click on the Phone Action Note on your Action Buffet corkboard at:

www.NumbersUSA.com/actionbuffet

When you click on those Phone Notes, that takes you to a page with easy-to-use talking points for your phone call. It also provides you other very helpful background information to make you more confident as you make your call.

The reports back from those of you who have called indicate that offices that are leaning toward the Hutchison-Pence amnesty are arguing hard and often angrily that there is NO amnesty in this bill.

To have your greatest effect with your call, please be prepared by knowing the details on why this IS an amnesty.

Most of the 12 million illegal aliens would be legalized and allowed to work and live in the U.S. for the rest of their lives as long as they can find a job. (The fact that they might have to cross the border for a short time before getting their work papers doesn't hide the fact that illegal aliens would be rewarded with the very thing they came to the U.S. to steal -- American residency and job.

Eventually, the illegal aliens would be allowed to become U.S. citizens under this bill.

It is the sustained voter reactions that really get the attention inside congressional offices. They are used to one-day surges in phone calls. But they really take notice when the calls come in for days.

Elected officials are leaving Washington DC this weekend, not to return until after Labor. Large numbers of staffers will wait until they see the planes carrying the Members flying up the Potomac and then they will immediately head to the beaches.

The lasting impression that we want the staffers to have in their heads as they lie in the sand and jump the surf -- and that the Members have as they fly across America -- is that voters know what is going on and oppose all efforts to reward illegal aliens or increase the importation of foreign workers to drive American wages down.

And we need you calling the home offices so that when Members of Congress arrive in the home offices, their staffs will be talking about this issue and the voters' deep opposition to this kind of solution.

Phone your U.S. Representative in home offices.

Get the phone numbers of all the home offices of your U.S. Representative by going to:

www.NumbersUSA.com/myMembers.com

You may be interested in a few of the comments from people after making a phone call about the Hutchison-Pence amnesty bill. Most of these came from people filing out the Phone Note form that you find from your corkboard.

"I called Senator Hutchison office today and talked to a woman there. Normally, I get the "uh-huh" response. This time she argued with me that the Senator's introduction of Pence's bill in the Senate is NOT an amnesty. I guess she isn't used to talking to someone that gives regular speeches on immigration. I let her have it. Still, she would not relent. We need to "hammer" her office to get them off of their high horses about defending this travesty."
    ----------Brian Burns, Texas

"Some people may want to use this in a phone call: On Lou Dobbs not so long ago (late May/early June re S. 2611), Hutchinson said that when she added up her calls the tally was 1,578 against S.2611 (the giant amnesty the Sentate passed) with only 12 in support." And now she has introduced her own amnesty bill!
    ----------Joe G., California

CALLED: Rep. Ed Pastor (D-AZ04)
    I called and very politely told her that if Ed Pastor votes for the Pence-Hutchison bill that is as yet un-numbered, I will not only not vote for him (neither will my husband) but I'll work for his opponent's campaign to defeat him when he's up for relection.

PHONED: Rep. Lane Evans (D-IL17)
    Called DC and Moline office. They were both nice. I am angry that he has stabbed us in the back the last 20 years with illegals and told them so. Asked if he could do this one thing for us after all he has done against us.

PHONED: Rep. Jerry Costello (D-IL12)
    The staffer was very receptive, took notes on my points, and spelled out the Pence/Hutchison part, he had not heard of the bill. He also took down my address and said Congressman Costello would write a response.

PHONED: Rep. David Price (D-NC04)
    Chapel Hill office: Don't know anything, took comments, will pass along to D.C. Washington: the staffer said she wasn't 'at liberty' to give out any information on his position. I told her I was very concerned, as Price was a co-sponsor of the AgJOBS Amnesty bill. I told her - politely, or course - that it's crucial to my November vote that he honors claims made in a recent letter to me, when he stated that he opposes illegal immigration.

PHONED: Rep. David Price (D-NC04)
    The assistant took quite a lot of info from me, including my opinion that the Hutchison-Pence plan is STILL AMNESTY, however disguised,
    and that the Democrats have abandoned their base in supporting massive amnesties that undermine America's workers and poor. David
    Price is a genuinely decent person, and I feel quite certain his attitudes surrounding immigration, though misguided, are based on concerns about immigrant families being separated, etc. Assuming that anything I said actually got through, I was trying to appeal to his compassionate side - urging him to consider the impact of the immigration numbers on the poor. I've noticed that he has been extremely silent on the whole immigration issue (as I've written to him at east 50 times), which probably means he is very conflicted.

PHONED: Rep. Joel Hefley (R-CO05)
    The staffer stated she was unaware of the Pence-Hutchinson plan. She noted my name and my stance on the issue.

PHONED: Rep. Nancy Johnson (R-CT05)
    Just made the call. The staffer actually seemed to writing down my comments. I only hope they do some good.

PHONED: Rep. E. Clay Shaw (R-FL22)
    Very Nice. Spoke to Darcy. Told her that I have 20 bumper stickers here for Clay Shaw and 20 for Ron Klein, and the direction he takes
    on the proposed Pence Immigration Bill will determine which ones I pass out to people. I told her we WANT to be able to support him.

PHONED: Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-KS04)
    Called Todd Tiahrts offices and was told he did not support Amnesty.
    I told them that was good to hear and I hoped it was true and that he could prove it by voting NO on the Pence-Hutchison plan. Said they'd pass my message onto him. Asked when and where he might be having town meetings and was told to call back next week and they
    would have a better idea of a schedule.

PHONED: Rep. Charles Pickering (R-MS03)
    Chad Adams, Rep. Pickering's aide that handles immigration issues stated that Rep. Pickering views the Pence Plan as amnesty. I hope
    this remains his view.

PHONED: Rep. Dennis Rehberg (R-MT01)
    I was low key and made it clear it doesn't matter what Pence and Hutchison call it --- it's the same old amnesty pig with new lipstick. I said as long as Rehberg is clear on that basic point, he'll do the right thing. The aide seemed familiar with the topic and immediately mentioned that Rehberg had supported the "old" House bill and continues to support it.

PHONED: Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX0
    I phoned Rep. Brady's office in Orange to let him know that I'm opposed to the new Pence/Hutchison plan for immigration. The woman I spoke to in her office was very polite and told me that I was definitely among friends. She would pass my message along to Rep. Brady.

This may be a good time for you to make sure that you've let us know all of the areas you are interested in. In order to further customize the type of alerts you receive click here http://www.numbersusa.com/survey?action=longlist

As a NumbersUSA subscriber, you will receive occasional emails about immigration-related opportunities. If you want to increase or reduce the frequency of these emails, click here and choose from Total Activism, Moderate Activism, or Limited Activism at the bottom of your registration form: http://www.numbersusa.com/user

NumbersUSA - relies upon individuals like you to reach its goal of an environmentally sustainable and economically just America.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

I called Sue Myrick's Washington office and Charlotte office today. A very nice lady in the Charlotte office told me she felt sure Sue Myrick will not support the Pence plan.

I told them to hold their ground and stick with the original legislation proposed by the House, zero tolerance for illegals.

Ruthiela, thank you for posting this because I had trouble accessing our E-mails this morning. I'm going to check them again now.

Let's all go to www.NumbersUSA.com and take the few minutes that are necessary to MAKE SURE that we have sent all of the faxes we can.

WWW.NumbersUSA.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You're welcomed Legal..........
    Yeah I called Cobles office and was assured he was not going to support it.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009