Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rubio defeats Gov. Charlie Crist in Florida

Marco Rubio defeats Gov. Charlie Crist in Florida Senate race

Charlie Crist, once a GOP star, ran as an independent after his moderate views stirred anger among conservatives. Marco Rubio was a favorite of the 'tea party' movement. Democrat Kendrick Meek never really was the focus of the three-way race.

By Michael Muskal
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    November 2, 2010|5:04 p.m.

Marco Rubio, a "tea party" movement favorite, was elected to the U.S. Senate on Tuesday, easily winning a three-way race that included Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, a one-time rising star in the Republican Party.

The victory means a conservative will take over the Senate seat now held by a more moderate Republican. The Senate's division between the major parties won't change, but the GOP will continue its move to the right.

Democrat Kendrick Meek, who ran third, waged what has been a traditional Democratic campaign in this midterm cycle, backing the Obama administration's efforts on economic stimulus, healthcare insurance overhaul and Wall Street regulation. Even though such Democratic stars as former President Clinton campaigned for him, Meek never really was the focus of the three-way race.

In 2008, Florida Sen. Mel Martinez decided to leave his seat after one term. Polls at the time showed that he likely could be reelected.

Gov. Crist was able to choose Martinez's replacement and selected his former aide and campaign manager George LeMieux to take the Senate seat. The wide expectation was that LeMieux was merely a place-holder for Crist, then a very popular governor and possible GOP national candidate.

But Crist had failed to reckon with the popular conservative uprising that became known as the tea party movement. Conservatives in Florida were especially irate at Crist and his moderate views, and targeted the governor, who was expected to be in a primary against Rubio, a former speaker of the Florida House.

Reading the political tea leaves, Crist skipped the GOP primary, which polls showed he could not win, and decided to run as an independent.

michael.muskal@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-pn-crist ... 6064.story
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Marcos Rubio is a snake in the grass - an AMNESTY SLEEPER.

Wait and see.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPY2BME

Wait and see.
    I agree as I have seen it. There is no way he will tell hispanic s to learn and speak English and get rid of dial this foR English and that for Spanish.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He has got to answer to the Tea Party people if he does not do his job. Lets hope he does a better job. That is all we can do for now
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

sarah Palin is on FOX now and she says she expects good things from Rubio and even great for a President candidate......Of course I do not agree with her on all things

Wait and see.
    Yes he is. And I have no doubt he will be running for President in 2012.
    Ron Paul in 2011 "[...]no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a 'green card' with an asterisk should be issued[...]a much better option than deportation."

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    sarah Palin is on FOX now and she says she expects good things from Rubio and even great for a President candidate......Of course I do not agree with her on all things
    Palin is for comprehensive immigration aka amnesty, so no wonder she thinks Rubio is a good thing.
    Ron Paul in 2011 "[...]no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a 'green card' with an asterisk should be issued[...]a much better option than deportation."

April

Wait and see.
    He will have to have his feet held to the fire, we are going to have to stay on top of all of them to make sure they do not turn into a John McCain!

GoodOleDays wrote:
    Palin is for comprehensive immigration aka amnesty
    Yeah,she never has come out and said where she stands on that issue. She backed McCain too. And we know where he stands.

Sarah Palin Supports Arizona SB1070 - But Still Supports Amnesty ...

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-1053150.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast